Universal 2K DRIVE (By 2K Sports)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Haruhi, Jun 9, 2013.

1. tso5818

tso5818 Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2011
    iANiMeX's left ear
    OMG! best post ever :)

2. GPS

GPS Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Australia
    Totally, agree to disagree I'd say. No need to get personal. I personally think this game is great, but I can respect that others don't.

3. best

best Well-Known Member

The problem is whether the physics are so exaggerated that it becomes unrealistic.

4. worldcitizen1919

worldcitizen1919 Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2012
    I commend you wedge. I feel the same way about the realism here. I just found out after months of beating NFS and RR3 that I'm in reality a horrible driver and better not try getting on a real track. This app has really taught me the finer things about racing that kids game just don't.

5. wedge598

wedge598 Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2013
    Don't sell yourself short. The problem is that the more realistic the physics are the harder it is to cope with the fact that you are missing key senses that real drivers have. Without the G-forces and that seat of the pants feel you have in a real car you have to learn to substitute those sensations for visual and audio cues. The Audio cues are probably the most important but the combination of the two will give you that feeling when you are sliding your tires.

I still struggle with it and I've been doing it for years. It helps in the PC sims that my force feedback wheel gives me a decent sensation of loss of grip. On the mobile device it's hard to cope without that.

6. MicroByte

MicroByte Well-Known Member

#206 MicroByte, Sep 11, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2013
    I've been reading and following the polarized views of this thread as well as a number of other places and it's amazing how varying an experience this game is for people. I really was scared off based on the impressions that cars drove like a tank or that the game was generally a mess. I was shocked by this given it was developed by some ex-Project Gotham developers, which is also one of my favorite driving games on the Xbox consoles.

I decided to give it a shot on my own to judge and after rebooting my mini, am pleasantly surprised to find a fairly deep driving game that is more heavily simulator based than arcade. The game actually looks really good on the Mini which so I can only imagine how much better it would look on a top of the line iPad.

In terms of the game itself, I think it's important that anyone/everyone who plays this game realize that this is a simulation type racer. You cannot go in gunning for every corner, it takes patience and subtlety. You wouldn't do this in Forza or Gran Turismo, so people shouldn't do that here. Couple that with the fact that you aren't using physical controls and it's very difficult to master.

I felt the same way initially, cars just did not feel very responsive, but with time and practice, it get's better, just like any game.

I'm not trying to sway anyone, but just want to give some honest feedback to some people that might have been on the fence and discouraged like me.

TL;DR -

If you are a fan of Forza/Gran Turismo style games and are comfortable with knowing iOS controls might be a challenge - consider this game

If you absolutely hate the aforementioned games, this game is probably not for you.

*EDIT*

I just noticed in the garage that there is an arcade game sitting there. I wonder if there is a hidden easter egg in this game? If anyone remembers, Project Gotham Racing 2 had an Arcade machine sitting in the garage for Geometry Wars that you could play. I remember being so addicted to that game - both the racing one as well as GW!

7. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    This game (and thread) reminds me of a game released in the late 80's called 'Hard Drivin'. I think back then we were so used to 'arcade' racers and just two gears (high and low) when Hard Drivin' appeared it was as the name suggested hard ! It was 'realistic' as in you had all the different gears, the car handled differently from what we were used to.

I may give this game a try as its quite nice having the mix of racing games in the app store. I dont think anyone is saying this is 'realistic' and will help anyone pass a driving test, but from a game point of view it seems quite realisiic compared to the usual type of arcade racers.

8. MicroByte

I remember Hard Drivin', man that "game" was terrible to a kid. I remember you could select the normal course or the stunt course with the loop. I don't think I ever saw someone that could do the loop.

From what I remember reading, I believe that was suppose to come out as a driving simulator to actually teach people how to drive, but it ended up becoming an arcade game.

9. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Yeah that game was bizarre, i'm sure it made it to the arcades as well. As a kid i just wanted to smash things and not 'drive properly'.

But years later i'll probably give this game a go as i like the variety of racers i'll have on my device

10. MicroByte

It was in the arcades:

[​IMG]

It even had a sequel called Race Drivin' with even more craziness.

Now that I think back, I owned this game on my Atari Lynx. I loved that system...

11. TomekSzymek

TomekSzymek Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2011
    I have a quick question...
    Do you always use stars to repair car? It looks really cheap. What is the use of these stars anyway?

12. TicTac

TicTac Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2011
    I understand this is a different type of game to Asphalt, but how different is it to Real Racing 2?

13. wedge598

Aug 17, 2013
    This is what I've been trying to say for days now. You'll find a similar first post from me about 7 pages back. The discussion in here is likely to scare off a lot of people. If you are a strictly arcade racer then it probably should scare you off. But, if like Microbyte says, you've played any kind of simulation based racer you'll likely find that the game plays very comfortably and the controls are no where near as bad as some would lead you to believe.

14. wedge598

Aug 17, 2013
    Yes, all repairs are made with stars. And even a full destroyed car will only cost about 120-140 stars to fix. If you win any event you're likely to get 250-400 stars. So just one win will net you enough to repair the car twice. The other option is to wait the 45-60 minutes for the car to repair automatically and free of charge. Honestly, once you have a few cars you'll never pay for repairs again. Just playing through I accumulated over 20,000 stars in just a few hours. The repair costs are a complete non-issue.

Stars are also used to buy customizations like pait jobs, rims, helmets, gloves, suits, air fresheners, rear view mirror and dashboard decorations. Silly stuff like that. Some of the cheap items are 400 stars and the more expensive stuff is 8000 or more stars. But like I said you'll accumulate them very fast.

15. wedge598

Aug 17, 2013
    It's quite similar to RR2 and ever more so to RR3 which has slightly more realistic physics. It does go a step or two beyond those racers though as the physics here are full 6 degrees of freedom. Which just means the car will get out of shape easier so you'll need to be a bit more patient and precise.

16. tso5818

Sep 13, 2011
    iANiMeX's left ear
    Sounds like I need the game to work for me NOW lol. I am at college and the developer said he fixed the issue for me. So hopefully I get to play.
    Any online racing to the game?

17. TomekSzymek

Dec 11, 2011
    And what car to buy for the second one? I have liek 80 coins now and I'm thinking of buying second car. I have Nissan now. Datsun is amazing :D What next, guys?

18. tso5818

Sep 13, 2011
    iANiMeX's left ear
    Isn't the fast car like 80-100 coins? Buy that one.

19. TomekSzymek

Dec 11, 2011
    Thanks! I'll check it out in a sec :)

Last question: What is the average number of people taking part in any multiplayer event?
    I just realised I'm occupying 22nd place in some drift event and I'm wondering if this is good or it's just because 100 ppl is involved...

20. tso5818

Sep 13, 2011
    iANiMeX's left ear
    Alright :)
    I haven't got to play the game so I wouldn't know. But if you don't mind answering. Is the multiplayer just online ghosts or real multiplayer?