Universal 2K DRIVE (By 2K Sports)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Haruhi, Jun 9, 2013.

1. wedge598

wedge598 Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2013
    Ok I see where the sensitivity settings are now. Oddly I noticed that my global profile settings to turn off stability control was not correct when I adjusted the setting from the pause menu. Might be a glitch.

I did notice the rear view indicators and that's what I meant by rear view "radar".

2. GPS

GPS Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Australia
    Ah ok.. Cool.

3. alacourse

alacourse Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2013
    Wow! Playoffs are constant, repair costs are constant, upgrade costs are constants... Regardless of the car!

Take that RR3!

4. I gotta find some disk space, love driving games, ipad is now so full of the new call of duty and a8, sigh.

5. worldcitizen1919

worldcitizen1919 Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2012
    Excellent game!! Leaves RR3 for dead IMO. I find this is very, very realistic as opposed to RR3. If you drive bad like in real life you won't win. This is the first racing game I've come across on ios that involves real SKILL.

You can't just win by tilting you ipad/iPhone. You have to turn corners skilfully or you'll skid so your timing and speed have to be spot on unlike RR3.

Love the customisation options fooled around with that for over an hour. A lot of variety in challenges and races. The graphics are terrific and the cars look great as good if not better than RR3.

Very generous with stars and coins can be earned easily. When I started my first race I thought I'd just step on the accelerator and win like in RR3 but not to be. Doing that I came LAST. The tracks are designed to test your driving skills and aptitude unlike RR3. And the cars have so many options to upgrade and customise that one can get lost in this game.

The one thing I find very, very annoying with this game is that unlike RR3 it has utterly exposed just how bad a driver I really am and I don't like being humiliated so I've got to go back and kick some racing butt or download RR3to make my ego feel better and save face.

I highly recommend this game. The menus seem to be a bit slow to navigate through and laading screens make me impatient for the race to begin. At first look I didn't like the game but as I got into the garage and saw the cars up close as well as the different driving views and awesome physics I became glad that I deleted RR3 and have replaced it with 2K. But only play this if you want to drive for real. If you just want to win endlessly without using any skill, aptitude or effort then stick to RR3.

6. italodance

italodance Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2009
    electrical
    Tehran-Iran
    so finally worth for puchasing? i never tried RR3 cause im not into racing games but this one looks stylish

7. worldcitizen1919

worldcitizen1919 Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2012
    Anyone know about RaceFace. I tried using it and took a picture and ticked the agreement box and set my age bit it gave me a pop up saying I did not fulfil requirements ir conditions???

Is here some setting I'm forgetting?

8. GPS

GPS Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Australia
    Not to sure on that. I didn't get a pop up from memory. I don't know if there is a certain age(minimum) requirement or something like that.

9. tso5818

tso5818 Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2011
    iANiMeX's left ear
    Hopefully they take out the timers and iAP's, then I will buy the game.

10. johnny.90210

johnny.90210 Member

Jun 27, 2013
    Worst racing game ever!! Waste of money and time!

11. killy billy

killy billy Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2009
    planet iphone/ipad
    Wrong!
    Finally a racing game that requires some skill!

12. wedge598

Aug 17, 2013
    #132 wedge598, Sep 8, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2013
    100% agree.

This is NOT an arcade racer. It is the most realistic simulation of cars there is on the iOS. If you do not have PC racing simulation experience you will most likely find this frustrating. Those of us with racing experience will likely find this immensely satisfying and fairly easy. I've yet to find that I need apply any serious upgrades to win a race.

They truly have checked all the right boxes to make this a sim lovers dream app. Tons of various events, customization and realistic driving.

My only fear is that if I do start needing major performance upgrades those do require lots of coins and I may find myself short on those later in the game. Unfortunately if that happens the IAP on coins are kind of expensive and you could spend up to $6 real dollars just to fully upgrade one car. After paying $7 to start that is not acceptable.

13. Habakuk

Habakuk Well-Known Member

Since nobody answered this I assume the answer is NO.

14. GPS

GPS Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Australia
    I don't think local is there... It doesn't say it is, but it doesn't say it isn't. I can't see it anyways

15. wedge598

Aug 17, 2013
    Unfortunately it seems that multiplayer is going to be a big disappointment to many. The only option I can find for multiplayer is the race against rivals mode. This is a mode where you compete against a rivals ghost in a race that contains other AI cars. Unlike RR3 TSM mode this is an actual ghost of your rivals race. I don't see any option to race in a race against multiple people either locally or online.

16. wedge598

Aug 17, 2013
    #136 wedge598, Sep 8, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2013
    I do agree that I would prefer not to have timers. But let me say that they are not as annoying as in RR3. Here's how they work:

As you race your car wears out. But only when the damage is below 20% does the game require you to make the repair before racing again. You can race a damaged car.

Body damage is the easiest to get if you drive aggressively and it's possible to wreck in one race to the point that the game will require you to make a repair before you can race again.

Engine, oil, tires and brakes will also wear as you use them. These wear out very slowly and usually only show a few percent worn after a race. It would take a lot of races to wear these down to a level that would require repair. And since repairs start automatically after each race these items are usually back to full health after just a few minutes of navigating the menus anyway.

Since all repairs happen automatically over time it's possible to just wait them out. So far it seems that a full repair for body damage would take about 1 hour regardless of the vehicle class. You have the option to pay stars to skip the wait. The star cost for a full body repair is about 100 stars. This is very reasonable because you will win up to 500 stars for just one race. And even if you come in dead last you get about 50 stars. After a few hours of playing I've got 20,000 stars so paying a 100 every so often for repairs is not a problem.

Once you have 2-3 cars you will find the repair waits and cost to a non issue. As the cars slowly repair themselves the star cost to skip the wait comes down.

For me, it's just enough of an incentive to try and keep my race clean but not enough of a hindrance to cause me to curse when a slam into the wall.

17. GPS

GPS Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Australia
    Just found out it is possible to roll the car! I just clipped a side barrier In London and the car flipped onto its roof and slid along the road. Clearly need to try harder at racing clean :)
    Loving it!!

18. Rip73

Rip73 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Excellent explanation, thanks.
    That makes it very clear that they are just an extra layer of management to a realistic sim.
    And even if one doesn't see them that way, repairing is extremely cheap in relation to how easy it is to earn stars so if you see them as an iap push, this certainly isn't the game one should be playing.
    They are a non issue.

Even in RR3, despite the rage people had against them when they were there, they just added to the realistic management element in the same way despite being a bit more intrusive.
    Sounds like they are done right in this one by being easily, very easily, bypassable but adding an incentive to race clean. Just as you have to in real life.

19. RebornProphet

RebornProphet Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Scotland, UK
    So this has wait timers and in game currency you need to pay to skip those timers AND they want £5 up front? That's worse than RR3 surely?

20. wedge598

Aug 17, 2013
    Actually this is possibly the most realistic racing games on the mobile market. Being over aggressive will punish you hard in this game. The Camaro ZL1 is a tricky beast to drive. It requires very early braking and gentle wheel control to keep this stock version pointed straight (with no stability control aids). But once you get the hang of it you fully appreciate the realistic physics in the game. You can feel the cars weight and power.