Universal 2K DRIVE (By 2K Sports)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Haruhi, Jun 9, 2013.

1. wedge598

wedge598 Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2013
    On the surface it would appear that way. But read my posts above and you'll see the reward structure is far less obtrusive than in RR3. Even if you did need to buy coins the price is more reasonable. For example a $50 coin purchase in RR3 Would allow you to buy one of the high end cars. The Same $50 in this game gives you enough coins to buy all 27 cars. Ignoring the fact that they have a $10 introductory promotion which seems to unlock everything in the game.

2. DannyTheElite

DannyTheElite Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2012
    Forum poster
    Area 51
    Anyone having a problem with the game ? Specifically an endless loop in the loading screen of "profile sync in progress" and "please wait..."

3. wedge598

Aug 17, 2013
    I got a note earlier that the game couldn't connect to the 2k servers. Perhaps they are making some upgrades.

4. GR3NADE

GR3NADE Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2011
    Czech republic
    Hi. I did not play this game yet becouse of bad feedback. Remember there are different drive assists both in game AND in your BMW, if you have taken your M3 to a racing circuit with ESP and other systems disabled, you know what do I mean

5. pixelpowa

pixelpowa Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2013
    Indie Game Dev
    U.S.
    Just downloaded it and I'm getting this too.

6. tso5818

tso5818 Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2011
    iANiMeX's left ear
    So the faster the car the more stars you have to pay to skip the timer? Just want to put that out there. Also how many vehicles are in the game? I don't want a game that has few vehicles.
    I'm excited most for the off road racing.

Is it actually fun or not at all? I saw some YouTube videos and the off road track looked neat but the vehicle looked and seemed like it handled like crap.

Also what are all the control options? I dislike tilt to steer.

Thanks for making a long post. Almost got me buying it :)

7. tso5818

Sep 13, 2011
    iANiMeX's left ear
    #147 tso5818, Sep 8, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2013
  8. Xeyad

Xeyad Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2012
    After watching the video...it's like the iPhone 5 version and the iPad Mini version are 2 completely separate games.

I still try to play 2KDrive on my iPad Mini, but I just can't. Say what you will, the game is horrible on the iPad Mini! Even the car sounds sound sh*t compared to the iPhone 5 version!

I will update my game impressions IF 2K updates the game on the iPad. But for now, and for me, this game is shockingly terrible.

9. tso5818

Sep 13, 2011
    iANiMeX's left ear
    #149 tso5818, Sep 8, 2013
    Shockingly terrible is right. Can't even buy my first car.
    If someone can tell me how to get my first vehicle, I will give my impressions of the game.

Attached Files:

10. tso5818

Sep 13, 2011
    iANiMeX's left ear
    #150 tso5818, Sep 8, 2013
    Well is there suspension setups for the vehicles? That would improve the chance of not getting damage on ramps in the dirt racing.

I will try to buy now.

Edit: Still won't let me buy. I am going to try deleting and reinstalling.

Edit: Still won't let me buy a vehicle. I guess I will get a refund. Looks like a great game but won't let me play.

11. wedge598

Aug 17, 2013
    #151 wedge598, Sep 8, 2013
    Odd, it has been in and out all day for me. I'm hoping that its a glitch due to some maintenance they have been doing. I know it's frustrating but I'd urge you to give it a while longer and go for that refund tomorrow if its still not working. If you are a sim racing fan you owe to yourself to try this one. Pretty impressive for a mobile game.

And if you are a race sim fan you should understand that you don't actually "feel" the weight of the cars but you'll experience it as the car rolls in the turns, understeers through the corners and fishtails if you get it out of shape. The behavior is very simulator to what you see in any of the high end PC sims like Race07, GTR2 or the like.

Unfortunately there isn't an option to tune the car. You are limited to buying one of 4 different performance upgrades: acceleration, speed, handling or a combination package of all three. Each of these have 3 different levels and progressively get more expensive. This is where the game could get frustrating as these upgrades are expensive and require coins. You'll spend about 12, 20+ and then 40+ for levels 1, 2 and 3 respectively on those upgrades. This is likely more than the car itself and judging by the rate at which I'm gaining coins now it could come down to a tough decision or a IAP. :(. So far I've not had to use an upgrade to progress the career so maybe you won't need to upgrade too much.

12. tso5818

Sep 13, 2011
    iANiMeX's left ear
    I guess I will wait till tomorrow.
    Wouldn't that be nice to actually get the feeling of the cars weight when driving, turning, drifting, etc.
    Would actually blow my mind to have that in mobile devices. Hmmm was thinking maybe apple should make 4 speakers on all 4 corners of a future iPad and if you have the volume turned up or not as much and you could feel the left speaker get vibrate a bit because it got louder on your fingers from damage. Feeling the cars weight.

Random thinking. But yea I will wait till tomorrow.

13. wedge598

Aug 17, 2013
    For anyone that is able to get going with the game here are a couple tips for starting up.

Before you buy that first car there are couple things you can do that you may not expect.

You can test drive any one of the cars before you buy by going into the showroom.

You can run some of the multiplayer races using the supplied car and don't need to own it.

14. Curious to see how this will compare to a8, downloading.

15. RebornProphet

RebornProphet Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Scotland, UK
    I refuse to pay £5 up front to still be hit with timers and in game currency to skip said timers, regardless of them being more relaxed than RR3.

16. wedge598

Aug 17, 2013
    Unfortunately this is really nothing like Asphalt 8. Asphalt 8 is an arcade racer and a really fun one at that. 2k Drive aims to please the simulation crowd. It's actually a lot like Forza 4 for a mobile device. It has a lot of the same features as Forza 4 and a similar physics which will require you to drive more slowly to keep the car under control.

As I've said in a few previous posts, fans of arcade racers like A8, the Need for Speed series and Pole Position will be frustrated trying to tame these cars.

My goal on these forums has been to try and inform people on what to expect. $7 is a lot to spend and it's perfect
    Understandable for people to be expecting an arcade like racer on a mobile device so I wanted people to know that this one is a bit more serious than that.

On the whole I really believe that this one does very well what it aims to do. Unfortunately, on this platform, most consumers aren't going to be expecting something of this caliber. As a result there is likely to be a lot of disappointed people. It's probably only going to appeal to a person like myself that has played a lot of simulators and really liked the way that the Real Racing series has progressed on the mobile device and is looking for a Forza like experience for the mobile device.

17. pixelpowa

pixelpowa Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2013
    Indie Game Dev
    U.S.
    After I got through the connection errors and crazy long load screens, I played this for a few minutes and was like "hey, this is almost kinda like Forza 4!"

Then I went and played Forza 4 for an hour.

18. tso5818

Sep 13, 2011
    iANiMeX's left ear
    How did you get passed the connection error. Like where you buy your first car?

19. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    That's all well and good, and I for one would be all over a more sim-like experience myself, but it doesn't change the fact that even entertaining the idea of purchasing a $7 game with freemium trimmings is completely and utterly out of the question.

20. This is dorky, I loaded it up, now on the road, it won't start without being online. Sucks.