Universal 2K DRIVE (By 2K Sports)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Haruhi, Jun 9, 2013.

1. tso5818

tso5818 Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2011
    iANiMeX's left ear
    Are you stuck at the part where you have to buy your first car?

2. I loaded it earlier, now out on the road for dinner. First time starting, it said it needed an internet connection to create a profile. Sucks.

3. Rip73

Rip73 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    #163 Rip73, Sep 9, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2013
    It saves online.

4. tso5818

Sep 13, 2011
    iANiMeX's left ear
    Well I still can't even buy my first vehicle to play the game.
    Tomorrow if it happens, refund here I come.

5. pixelpowa

pixelpowa Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2013
    Indie Game Dev
    U.S.
    My connection errors happened on the startup load screen. Basically just tried it throughout the day and waited it out, and it finally worked.

The dirt tracks are pretty fun, actually, but the presentation is really bland and the sound is absolutely terrible. :/

6. tso5818

Sep 13, 2011
    iANiMeX's left ear
    Well as of right now, all day today the game won't let me buy the first car you need to play the game.
    Sucks.

7. I'm still not home, still sucks, guess I will try tomorrow.

8. tso5818

Sep 13, 2011
    iANiMeX's left ear
    Nope it works for you when your home.
    I tried emailing and messaging them on there Facebook and no reply.
    Looks like they lost $7 already.

9. RebornProphet

RebornProphet Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Scotland, UK
    Don't get me wrong, I had no issue with Real Racing 3 and have invested a lot of time into the game and have progressed well without spending a lot of real money but at least RR3 was free. If you charge £5 for a game you expect an experience closer to premium than freemium.

10. cptlockheed

cptlockheed Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2008
    IT professional since the 80's
    Finland
    #170 cptlockheed, Sep 9, 2013
    Everyone has a right for opinion. I find I have gotten already enough fun for my money with Datsun 240Z. After racing for several hours I have not felt the need to try other cars yet.Very good modeling in my opinion, driving feels a lot more real than with the arcade cars in RR3. EDIT: I have earned enough gold to buy several of the highest level cars but as I wrote, I've been happy playing and bettering the numerous challenges on my Datsun - you will need skill to win so don't expect immediate victories like in A8 and RR3).

The server problem is annoying, I hope Lucid/2K fix it ASAP (EDIT: seems to be fixed, no connection problems now). About the IAP content, I read that the game was going to be Freemium but was changed to pay to buy-game before release. Don't know if the transfer has gone smoothly - maybe this is a kind of forced Freemium where you must buy the first IAP package to play at all. I hate consumable IAP and won't pay for such, content IAP is ok. We'll have to wait to see what 2K Drive will be in the future but at the moment the game is fine.

It is ridiculous to fight about the sim level of a game, but I find that there currently is no better physics modeled on an iPad racing game (I could not imagine playing driving games on a phone screen, it is simply too cramped and small to control properly).

EDIT: some tips to enjoy the game fully:
    - turn off all driving assists except ABS
    - use the in-car camera view, you won't be able to feel the car and react quickly enough from outside views
    - buy an air-refresher to hang from your rear-view mirror! It's movements add immersion and feedback from car movement
    - adjust tilt steering sensitivity from the pause menu

11. tso5818

Sep 13, 2011
    iANiMeX's left ear
    #171 tso5818, Sep 9, 2013
    I just got my refund from purchasing 2013: Infected wars.
    A week ago I also got a refund of another app I accidentally bought.
    How did I accidentally buy it you say.
    Well I bought a app before hand and was still logged into my iTunes and was scrolling on the app store and purchased it by accident.

Also I think you have about a day or 2 to request a refund or they will say you had the game for to long.

Hopefully today after college this game will actually work for me if not, I will have to get the refund. Fingers crossed.

12. wedge598

wedge598 Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2013
    I agree with everything you said. Having spent in game money on 4 cars I still have enough to buy 2 or 3 more but I am seeing a possible pay wall in the future. I will not spend money on consumable content either but there shouldn't be a need to in this game as they only thing you might want to buy coins for is cars and upgrades.

I appreciate your acknowledgement of the realistic nature to the physics. I never intended to sound like an authority but my devotion to the genre for so many years gives me a perspective that some might no have.

My only goal here was to provide an honest assessment of what to expect as I know some people will be turned off by the difficulty. Apparently some people see that as offensive. Hopefully some people have either avoided the game based on my input or purchased the game and are happy with that decision.

13. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    Is this "2K" the same that developed XCom for iOS?

14. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    2K is a publisher, so yes, but probably not the same development team.

15. CaptLudd

CaptLudd Well-Known Member

May 1, 2013
    What is the installed size, please? Need to know how many games i have to let go. Thank, BTW i read the whole thread but didnt see this, if i missed it sorry, please repost :)))

16. wedge598

Aug 17, 2013
    This is the best part. Installed its only 600mb. Which is quite remarkable when you see all the nice high res textures in the game. The city of London looks great! You will notice some low polygon sections of certain tracks but nothing that detracts from the driving experience IMO.

17. tso5818

Sep 13, 2011
    iANiMeX's left ear
    I can't get a refund because I already got a refund from infected wars apple says. I guess they also said I can't get a refund of the same price or value of a recent game that had the same price tag.

Infected wars 6.99
    2k drive 6.99

18. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    Ah, ok. Thought it was a dev team. Thanks.

19. BillytheKid

BillytheKid Member

Sep 10, 2013
    Have to say, I'm having a lot of fun with this game.
    Had problems with steering like a few others but once I tweaked and fine tuned them in the settings then I found the perfect balance for me. It's actually the most satisfying racing game experience I have had on the device to be honest.i enjoyed Real Racing 3 but the awful camera and off putting nature the AI cars flicked to coloured boxes when a certain distance away really ruined that experience.

The UI on 2KDrive took a few mins to understand as its more like a bunch of articles rather than a conventional menu screen. I found it a bit overwhelming to be honest but I guess that's down to the sheer amount of variety in the game. Feels like despite having played it for a few hours I still have only scratched the surface.
    The race face is a neat feature which more games should use! Think it adds to the social aspect of it.
    There are a few bugs in it which irritate but you ultimately see past. I presume these will be addressed in updates and if so then I think people who cannot see past them currently will actually appreciate the game more.
    It's a huge game at a relatively low price all things considered when you compare it to the very linear nature that most games are these days.

The daily challenges make me go back to it every day. I can't get anywhere near the top of the table! I need to spend more time experimenting with the boosts.
    I haven't even really noticed the timers... I just always have enough if the stars currency in game to repair or buy boosts as I tend to play a lot of events and earn plenty... Some if these events can range from 1 minute to 5 minutes depending. I'm looking forward to unlocking more as I rank up.

Overall it definitely gets a 4 out of 5 from me... I will change that to a 5 after the next update when hopefully a restart button might be added and a few little niggly bugs gets sorted...

I highly recommend it though. It's immersive and has plenty of variety in it.

20. wedge598

Aug 17, 2013
    I'm afraid it's not the developer who has made a mistake. This is not an arcade racer so anyone who is used to driving Asphalt 8 or the Need for Speed games is going to be frustrated. This game has very realistic physics and therefore requires very real driving techniques.

It's a shame that this game is going to take such a backlash from fans of arcade racing that were expecting the simplified Physics of those games.