Universal Ala Mobile - Formula racing coming on 18th of July

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by CviGames, May 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stelph

stelph Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Nov 16, 2016
    Personally finding the touch controls a little hard, I think being able to hold drag left/right to steer is better than buttons

Agree with the braking I think it’s a learning curve, perhaps a braking assist or coloured braking zones may help that initial few goes?

Cooper04 likes this.
  2. CviGames

CviGames Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2016
    Italy
    Racing line is already a feature in game, it has been disabled in this first beta for optimization. The analog steer on screen is a good idea, will try to script it right now.
    Concerning the brakes, it is important for me to understand if it is a real functional issue (let’s say they feels unreal), or if it just a matter of getting acquainted to them (one needs to learn how to use them). I would like to have a deeper analysis of what you all think about the overall feel of controls, after a few races :)

Cooper04 likes this.
  3. Cooper04

Cooper04 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2018
    Male
    Stock car driver/RC car hobbyist
    Texas
    Ok so I did what you said and played a lot of time attack and I think I got a feel for the breaks and there much easier I was probably just used to all the other arcade racing games controls and thought that was what these would be like but I must say I do like how the controls feel and I’ve grown accustomed to the brakes compared to yesterday

CviGames likes this.
  4. Cooper04

May 31, 2018
    Male
    Texas
    It was just a matter of getting used to them I guess also I really love this game and the graphics are awesome

CviGames likes this.
  5. CviGames

Jun 14, 2016
    Italy
    That makes me really happy :)
    Also, as some of you already know, I love improving my games after update after update. So I'm sure Ala Mobile will get even better with time!

Cooper04 likes this.
  6. Cooper04

May 31, 2018
    Male
    Texas
    That’s great to hear! I really do like this game and I think it’s better than most games by big companies because you actually care about making the players happy and you aren’t just worried about money

CviGames likes this.
  7. Cooper04

May 31, 2018
    Male
    Texas
    I just raced at monoco and oh my gosh it’s a tight circuit. I remember on the old f1 games now and I sucked at it haha

8. CviGames

Jun 14, 2016
    Italy
    Quite tricky ;)
    By the way, there’s a bug in the Italian Gp, and it’s not currently available, will fix it in the next beta

Cooper04 likes this.
  9. Cooper04

May 31, 2018
    Male
    Texas
    Ok I’ll keep playing and I’ll tell you if I find any other bugs

10. Cooper04

May 31, 2018
    Male
    Texas
    I discovered a glitch on German track
    I sorta fell under the map

11. GPS

GPS Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Australia
    I have gotten used to the braking, a bit, however they feel underpowered to me. It could be that I am expecting them to pull the car up very quickly, because that’s the feel from other games, and maybe the expectation from F1.
    For me personally I feel that the brakes could be more powerful and have more initial feel of slowing the car quicker.

On another note, It seems the AI regularly get stuck on each other, causing big traffic jams, usually it’s a first corner incident, but can be quite annoying as sometimes they are stuck for a good 10 to 15 seconds.
    I also noticed a few cars cutting the track across the grass on corners on most of the circuits..

I am really hoping you can implement the no camera tilt option, I am finding the tilt combined with the camera shake (an effect I love) are a bit too much together. For me it’s almost a bit disorienting.

Sorry Infeel like I’m pointing out a lot of stuff, I just want to help make this great and really enjoyable..
    I am having a lot of fun with this, and once some of the bugs are squished it’s going to be fantastic!

Cooper04 likes this.
  12. Cooper04

May 31, 2018
    Male
    Texas
    FantasticEr

13. GPS

GPS Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Australia
    #173 GPS, Jul 1, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2018
    Just found a typo in the Australian GP. After qualifying it said up the top qualifying results for the Austrian Grand Prix... Actually after the race it said “Time attack results Austrian GP” should it say Race results....?
    I haven’t looked at the other rounds yet.

14. CviGames

Jun 14, 2016
    Italy
    Don’t feel sorry, I am grateful to you for your feedbacks :)
    I will try to solve these AI issues asap, and add some new option for a more customizable experience.
    Yes, that is a bug I just noticed yesterday :) I will try to fix it ASAP!
    Another thing I noticed, is that people in main menu tends to open the “Cars” menu and expect to be able to chose the car from there... and for some moment they get stuck because they don’t know what to do. Can you confirm this routine?

15. GPS

GPS Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Australia
    I think that initially caught me out, but I then realised you go to “Race” first and choose from there on.

CviGames likes this.
  16. CviGames

Jun 14, 2016
    Italy
    Hey Cooper,
    From my Apple logs, I see that you’re the only beta tester experiencing crashes of the game :O given you are the only one who actually told me to own an iPhoneX I assume it has to be with it.
    Do you recall when exactly these crashes have happened?

Cooper04 likes this.
  17. Stronsay

Stronsay Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2015
    Looking really good so far. Good to see it’s more towards a simulation than arcade. There are more than enough arcade racers already.

The braking distances look spot on to me, seeing as we are often decelerating from 200 mph. Corners and braking points have to be learned. F1 drivers spend way more time practicing and testing than racing. The game captures this well.

Also liking the tilt effect in the corners. I haven’t seen this done before. It goes a little way to conveying the discomfort of cornering at high speed.

I see AI drivers bunching up at corners sometimes which I assume is intentional, as this is often seen happening in real races at the start.

I find the accelerator and brake pedals a bit small for my podgy thumbs. It would be great if the whole left screen could be used for brake, and right side of screen for throttle.

CviGames and Cooper04 like this.
  18. Cooper04

May 31, 2018
    Male
    Texas
    I haven’t got any crashes I didn’t think that’s odd would me closing my phone or closing the app possibly effect the crash log?

CviGames likes this.
  19. Cooper04

May 31, 2018
    Male
    Texas
    Is this intentional? On belgiums track it seems pretty bumpy to drive on?

20. CviGames

Jun 14, 2016
    Italy
    Thank you for your analisys Stronsay, the first corner bottleneck is something I wanted in order to represent at best the real formula 1 starting, but I also see the point of Gps and Cooper, who find annoying the fact that they get stuck (thing that is particularly true in easy mode), I should find the right balance :)
    In tilt mode, even if brake and throttle icon are little, you can push the whole respective half of the screen to trigger them :) if this doesn’t happen, than it should be a bug.
    On which device are you testing the game?
    I don’t know, it may be something related to iPhoneX firmware then. I’m glad it doesn’t crash.. from the logs it appeared as a quite annoyingly often-happening crash :)

Cooper04 likes this.