Universal 'Angel Wing' by Quantum Sheep - space pewpewpew action :)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by quantumsheep, May 6, 2015.

1. quantumsheep

quantumsheep Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2009
    The Head Cheese, Top Dog, Numero Uno Honcho, Quant
    London
    Hey all, hope you're having a top weekend! :)

Just a little catch-up to report on some progress!
    Firstly, I managed to make enemy bullets that you can shoot down!

Hurrah!

If you've played any on-rails shooters, the emphasis is usually on shooting down enemy bullets (like in the original Star Wars).

Alternatively, invincible enemy bullets can be used, and the emphasis is then on shooting down enemies *before* they get a chance to shoot.

I like the former method best, personally, so I'm glad I could work it into the game! :)

Here's a screenshot (in green this time!) of this happening - it actually works pretty well!

[​IMG]

I also worked out the extra 'fx' options and how to incorporate them into the game. Here's an example of the cross stitch effect:

[​IMG]

I hope you like it! The thing about the FX stuff is that some of it will be subtle, some of it much more obvious, but hopefully, in addition to the colour changes, it'll give people lots of options as to how the game looks and feels :)

The game is being made primarily for PC, so adding this FX stuff shouldn't be a problem. I'm pretty sure it'll be fine on iOS too, but it *may* need slightly higher end devices to run it.

I honestly don't know till I test it. But I'm pretty confident it'll be fine :)

I also got a lovely logo made for the game by Craig Stevenson (who I mentioned earlier in this thread). I really like it, and will probably make very minor changes to it before I can show it off to the world.

And yes, that does mean the game has a name! ;)

So yeah - that's me for now. Off to see some friends tomorrow but will get back to it all on Monday.

Have a good one, speak soon :)

QS =D

2. quantumsheep

Jun 5, 2009
    London
    #22 quantumsheep, May 20, 2015
    Last edited: May 20, 2015
    Alrighty then - some more news from the sheepy! :D

Well, the big news is that Craig has made a lovely logo for me - I'll announce it on Twitter soon, but just for you guys, a few days early, here it is:

[​IMG]

So yeah, the game's called 'Angel Wing' - I hope you like it! :D

(can a mod please change the title of the thread to '"Angel Wing" by Quantum Sheep - space pewpewpew action' or something? Thanks! :D)

I'll be revealing more soon, promise! :)

I think Craig did a great job on that! He's also contributed some art to an awesome ZX Spectrum book that's been funded already via Kickstarter! I am very excited about that! :D

In other news, Apple refreshed their 15" Macbook Pro range yesterday. I've already ordered one to replace my four year old dying laptop. It's barely holding out, so I'll be relieved when the new one arrives at Sheepy Towers at the end of the month.

I'll be sorry to see the old girl go, to be honest. She helped me make Air Supply Infinite, Docking Sequence and Air Supply SOS. Thank you, current-but-soon-to-be-replaced laptop! *sheepyhugs*

So yeah, that's me! Hope to have more news for you soon, and let me know what you think so far! :D

QS =D

3. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Lovely title art, there!

For some reason I'm imagining sitting in a Klingon Bird of Prey firing at enemy ships...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. EGVroom

EGVroom Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2014
    BOOM!

Awesome name and logo \o/

5. quantumsheep

Jun 5, 2009
    London
    That's pretty awesome! :D There's just *something* about black and red, right?

So, just for you, here's the same logo in Red :D

[​IMG]

\o/

*curtseys*
    That's very kind, old friend - thank you!

The name's been in my brain since the mid 90s would you believe! Very happy to finally be making the game, and that the logo looks good!

Onwards!

QS =D

P.S. - thanks to metalcasket who very kindly changed the thread title for me! Thank you sir! :D

6. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Woo!!! A name! A cool font! And an extra pew!

Woo!!!

7. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    That makes me feel all warm and squishy! :eek:

...either that or I need to wear diapers. :eek:

8. triggywiggy

triggywiggy Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Freelance writer, Student, Casually employed in re
    Perth, Western Australia
    Game looks to be coming along. Cant wait to see the finished product although I am sure that will still be in time to come (I know how you like to release polished games).

Hope you Mac is ok too, Ive had a stuffed up Mac too, although my trouble came when my brother decided to sit on it 1 day after i bought it costing me $600 in the process!

9. quantumsheep

Jun 5, 2009
    London
    Thanks for the kind words! It's difficult to tell how long it will take, but yeah, I won't release it unless I'm happy with it! I'm going to try and get a one level demo out to people on Mac/PC so I can get some much valued feedback! We'll see how I get on!

Yikes! I hope your brother paid for the damage? :O

The Mac I'm using now is pretty much dead. I can use it for about half an hour to an hour to view web pages, use Twitter, and other 'light' things (as long as I use an external keyboard and mouse).

When it comes to using something like Unity though, I have to restart the computer after about 20 minutes. It just slows everything down to a crawl, and makes me incredibly unproductive...

*covers old laptop's ears*
    But! The new laptop will hopefully be here at the end of next week. It's very exciting! It's a significant improvement on the old one in pretty much every department. I'm hoping it'll speed up my productivity a huge amount.

So yeah, hard to tell how long the game will take. Right now, I'm at a crawl. Next week, I may be making huge strides! Fingers crossed, eh? :)

Oh my! I need mind rubbers, stat! :O

:p

Glad you liked the extra 'pew'! Very important addition there! :D

You know me, right? I try and give as much info without giving away much info at all!

This is mainly due to me not wanting to show stuff I can't deliver! But I'm looking forward to sharing more with you soon, and I do so appreciate your enthusiasm amidst the storm of very little info! :D

It's awesome!

Thank you!

QS =D

10. quantumsheep

Jun 5, 2009
    London
  11. Andy C83

Andy C83 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    "Quantum Sheep has been somewhat quiet about its next project, instead focusing on updating older titles and taking out the bins."

Haha, I love it. ###

Will be following this thread closely of course. Any new Quantum Sheep game announcement is very exciting. A busy sheepy is a happy sheepy. :) And we'll be here to support you along the way. I even have my poms poms ready:

"Sheepy, sheepy, he's our man, if he can't do it GREAT!!"

Sorry, I didn't mean it! I just love that scene in Aladdin with the genie waving his little J flag. #

Ahem. Back on topic. Goooo Sheepy! \o/

12. slamraman

slamraman Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    Man - just saw the front page article. So the real anticipation begins. I absolutely love what I do for a living in real life, but every so often I hear and see certain people do things (music, literature, film and videogame) and I think I wish I could do that knowing that it's way beyond my ken. QS falls in that category. Properly looking forward to this.

13. quantumsheep

Jun 5, 2009
    London
    It's funny COS IT'S TRUE! :D

And welcome, sir, to the thread! Tea and biscuits on the table, please do help yourself! :D

You are so very kind! Thank you!

*bounces and beeps*

*whispers* I've not seen Aladdin. Please don't hate me! /o\

You know, when the delays invariably hit, and people's patience is wearing thin, I will always think of you and think "Well, at least Slam's happy!" :D

Oh, and you could *totally* make your own game! I remember talking to someone at the Eurogamer thingy last year. I convinced them they could make their own game. And now they have!

If you're on PC, have a look at GameMaker or Construct 2. If you're on a Mac, try GameSalad.

None of those require you to 'code', and I think all of them have a 'free' option, so it won't cost you anything.

Making a game is hard work, but also lots of fun. There's nothing to stop anyone making a game these days, and I think that's pretty awesome :D

Thank you both, btw! I do always love to come here and catch up with everyone! Makes my day! :D

QS =D

14. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Just read the front page article and just had to drop by and express my excitement as well. Cant wait to play this, it already looks good!

15. Major 4 Apps

Major 4 Apps Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2012
    Great job, Sheepy! Always loved your previous releases and can't wait to play this one!

16. quantumsheep

Jun 5, 2009
    London
    Thank you! I'm excited *you're* excited! :D

How exciting!

Danke!

I posted this for screenshotsaturday on Twitter - it shows that yes, I'm being stingy with the colours and you'll have to unlock them as usual!

[​IMG]

Yours,

Colour Scrooge QS :D

17. quantumsheep

Jun 5, 2009
    London
    Hey all, hope you're well!

It's been a bit of a silly week, with not much done I'm afraid :(

My laptop got worse and worse, but managed to hold on just long enough for the new laptop to arrive yesterday, which was a relief!

Here it is:

[​IMG]

Hurrah! \o/

The plan was to transfer the soul of the old laptop to the new one, like this:

[​IMG]

Alas, the cable didn't work properly, so I had to back it up manually to an old external hard drive then download it onto the new laptop.

That took 20 hours.

:O

Anyway, it's done now, and set up exactly like the previous one (it's a neat trick Macs can do!)

I'm currently just checking out what it can do, but it works, and everything happens much much faster than before! It's like a breath of fresh air! :D

I did have a minute's silence for the old laptop though. I made Infinite, SOS and Docking Sequence with it. It's served me well, bless it!

Looking forward to getting back to work on Angel Wing! Lots to do, but at least I stand a chance now with an actually working computer!

Hope you have a fab weekend!

QS =D

18. triggywiggy

triggywiggy Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Freelance writer, Student, Casually employed in re
    Perth, Western Australia
    Good job.

I was on twitter when you uploaded the vine of it screwing up a while back and though "Oh no all that progress".

Was there nothing Apple could do to fix the old one? When my brother sat on mine I had to pay $600 for the screen to be fixed. But they were able to keep all the data on it.

19. quantumsheep

Jun 5, 2009
    London
    Yeah, I was very anxious for quite a while when the screen started messing up - so glad it's sorted now!

Truth is, the old laptop was bought in the US, so I wouldn't be covered by any warranty stuff here in the UK. And the whole system was essentially dying:

*the keyboard stopped working completely (I was using a bluetooth and sometimes wired one instead)
    *the internet connection was flaky as hell
    *it wouldn't actually turn on *at all* with the battery in it (I had to remove it and stay tethered to the mains).
    *I had to remove and then attach the power chord for it to turn on (power button non-responsive)
    *the trackpad started failing after about half an hour using it
    *Unity would crash after 20 minutes use
    *And you already know about the screen glitches

I thought that an investment on a new machine was the better deal here! ;)

QS =D

Edit: I feel a bit mean having written all that down. I do use my machines daily, and for heavy load stuff most of the time. I'm happy it lasted me four years, and it served me well up to the last 3 months or so! Bless it!

20. JindoFox

JindoFox Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Really looking forward to this game, it's one of my favorite genres, one we don't see as much as I'd like!