Universal [BETA] Tap Force: Auto RPG (TestFlight)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Chris Savory, Jun 7, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris Savory

Chris Savory Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2014
    Game Developer
    Vancouver, BC
    [​IMG]

Hello TouchArcade,

Race Cat has been working for several years on our next game and we're finally ready to share it. Testflight -> https://testflight.apple.com/join/Vswv1bGM

Welcome to Tap Force! Head back to the 90s and clean up the mean streets of Metro City in this new auto RPG!

Assemble a team of the ultimate 16-bit pixel fighters and use them to battle with or against other players. Arm your citizens by expanding your weapon shop business that runs even while you are offline!

• Recruit & train 16-bit pixel fighters to form the toughest fighting team
    • Sell weapons to your citizens by opening a variety of martial arts weapon shops
    • Fight through hundreds of levels in the campaign which span three unique zones
    • Face off against other players in the PVP Arena and climb the ranks for big rewards
    • Join clubs where you can chat with friends and compete in special group events
    • Beautiful 16-bit retro pixel art aesthetic
    • Featuring music from Mitch Murder

[​IMG] [​IMG]

----------

Thanks so much for any interest and feedback!

Follow us on Twitter: @racecatgames

Websites: www.racecatgames.com / www.tapforcegame.com

2. Stronsay

Stronsay Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2015
    Works fine. Hero collector with 16 bit art is neat. Good job with the UI, as these games usually have a million icons and menus everywhere. Devs have got that under control. Mitch Murder - supercool at capturing an era.

Chris Savory likes this.
  3. Wicked8146

Wicked8146 Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Nov 17, 2009
    Dinosaur hunter
    Los Angeles
    #3 Wicked8146, Jun 8, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2022
    You forgot to mention you made Match Land!!!! One of my favorite games ever. Downloading now and will give feedback. Very excited about your follow up.

*OK, played it for a bit and loving it. I see there is a tier list, which is cool, but the colors that you use on the borders to delineate the tiers, don't line up with the fighters I have. For example, your tier lists start at shades of green, but I have a bunch of blue fighters. How do I know what tiers they are? What makes one fighter better than another in terms of tiers? Are "super" fighters really better than others? What tier does "super" equate to? D? C? B?

Chris Savory likes this.
  4. Hulkino

Hulkino Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2016
    Downloaded right now and play it in a few minutes!

Chris Savory likes this.
  5. Chris Savory

Oct 23, 2014
    Game Developer
    Vancouver, BC
    #5 Chris Savory, Jun 8, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2022
    Thanks so much for the kind words on Match Land!

Regarding the tier list, it's definitely a bit confusing (or a lot). Try and ignore the colours as we use them in several places to mean different things, hehe. The colour of your actual fighter's frame is based on their rank (how many times u promoted them, ex. merging green heroes turns them blue and then purple, etc.) and not related to the tier list. The tier list also uses colours but more in a general sense to just imply how good someone is and are only used on that specific screen. It's best to just find the same portrait of the hero and look at the tier list rank and ignore the colour scheme.

Wicked8146 likes this.
  6. Hulkino

Feb 5, 2016
    Match Land is one of my fav games too!
    Tap Force is very simple to play, the UI is easy to read and very well designed and game is fun to play so it has my personal quality seal!

Chris Savory likes this.
  7. Wicked8146

Patreon Bronze

Nov 17, 2009
    Dinosaur hunter
    Los Angeles
    Ok, I have played this game a ton now and I have some thoughts:
    1. The graphics are awesome. I love the animation style and the little characters.
    2. There is a lot going on. It's deeper than it seems, with one thing unlocking another, unlocking another. But also because so much is crammed in the game, it almost feels more like a progress bar clicker than the actual game itself. I spend just as much time clicking around to collect stuff as I do actually fighting.
    3. I have been trying to figure out the best strategy to advance. There are some colors that are better vs others, like any typical match 3 game, but is it better to just brute force your way through it by leveling up you characters as high as you can? The answer seems to be yes because the character draws are random, so you don't really get much of a choice in selecting what colors you use. For example, I have 3 Elite Green characters and only one Super white character. When I come across purple enemies, it still makes sense for me to use my higher powered characters instead of my lower level white character. This continues to be the case and probably will be until I max out my characters and then I can focus on leveling up a variety of colors to try to combat different color enemies. Not sure when that will be.
    4. Progression grinds to a halt at about 90 mins. Once my characters got to level 40, I did not have enough coins to level them up and I was not strong enough to win matches. Therefore, I cannot advance in the game until the timers are up and I can collect more gold and items. I think this is when I am supposed to pay to advance faster. It does feel a bit abrupt though. I was thinking maybe the timers could be shorter, but I understand you have to make money. This is incredibly difficult to balance, especially with the vast amount of menus in this game, so I wish you luck! So now, I just wait and log in from time to time to collect some coins to see if I can level up any characters. I am trained not to use the premium currency - gems, unless I have to, but I think the best path forward is to use the gems every day to unlock the single day gold package that is available. That helps a lot. Also though, I am leveling up 6 characters at a time, bringing them all along with me. I am not sure if it is more advantageous to just level up 1-2 characters really high vs leveling them all up at the same rate. Just not sure.
    5. In the last update, the numbers were changed to make more sense. Thanks cause my level 2,000 team was beating level 7,000 teams with no problem. It's a little more comprehendible now.
    So in summary, I do love this game and I love collecting the characters. The artwork and design are awesome. I think allowing you to choose between obtaining some characters of specific colors might be helpful in allowing me to play the game the way it was designed, vs random drops.

8. Chris Savory

Oct 23, 2014
    Game Developer
    Vancouver, BC
    Thank you so much for such a detailed response, Wicked! We are definitely still refining the progression and are nowhere near pleased with it at this point.

Regarding the factions/colours of fighters, it's moreso a late game thing to worry about. At the start you deifnitely just want to level up and use your highest rarity fighters but once you hit certain challenging levels down the road, that 30% boost will come in handy and encourage you to have a team larger than just your main 6.

Thanks for playing!

9. Chris Savory

Oct 23, 2014
    Game Developer
    Vancouver, BC
    If anyone else would like to try the game before we launch, you can download it for free here -> https://testflight.apple.com/join/Vswv1bGM

Appreciate all the feedback. Thanks a ton! We will be launching fairly soon.

10. Wicked8146

Patreon Bronze

Nov 17, 2009
    Dinosaur hunter
    Los Angeles
    Since the server wipe, things have been a lot more balanced. I seem to have about the right amount of coins and elixir now.

Chris Savory likes this.
  11. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    #11 ste86uk, Jul 14, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2022
    @Chris Savory will there be a reset again before you launch or will we be able to keep any progress?

I also thought it odd that I have to create an email/password to save my account. Most games use Facebook/apple link to save, do you plan to implement that at all?

So far I’m liking the game but haven’t spent very long on it yet but will definitely give it more time to check it out in more depth.

Edit: although I just found the VIP points if I purchase, there are some things I hate even in a f2p game. There are a lot of purchases options and bundles in this game but the VIP system generally makes me just quit a game right away rather than bother playing at all.

I always see it as unless I’m willing to spend vast amounts of money I’ll never compete with anyone that is not just purchasing but having those extra bonuses forever.

12. yearoftherat

yearoftherat Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2013
    Liking the game so far.
    Am I missing something or is there going to be any plans to implement the Apple game center? The ability to save and play across multiple devices is appreciated.

13. Chris Savory

Oct 23, 2014
    Game Developer
    Vancouver, BC
    We will not wipe from here on out so all progress will remain through the global launch. We should definitely look into allowing you to sign in via google/facebook/apple through. Thanks for the reminder!

14. Hulkino

Feb 5, 2016
    Very happy to see its final release coming at the end of august!!

Chris Savory likes this.
  15. Havelcek

Havelcek Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 30, 2013
    I’ve just hit the same wall at campaign level 42 and my characters all Super or Super+ in the high 30s and low 40s.

I have to be honest, the level of monetization and multiple currency types feels more like a standard gacha game. It’s a jarring contrast with Match Land.

ste86uk likes this.
  16. Havelcek

Havelcek Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 30, 2013
    The game is saying that there's a new update available but its not automatically updating - I tried reinstalling previous version and back again. My client is on build 124

17. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA