Universal [Beta] Tides: A Fishing Game by Shallot Games

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by shallotgames, Jan 13, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shallotgames

shallotgames Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Jul 15, 2017
    We're very excited to announce the launch of our newest game, Tides!
    Tides will be launching as an iOS exclusive on February 2nd, with Android to follow in Q2.

If you're on iOS and would like to play today, we'd be happy to have you join our TestFlight, which we'll be running all the way through launch!

About the Game:
    Many games include beloved fishing minigames that let you take a break from your primary objectives and just relax. With Tides, we seek to add a fishing minigame to whatever part of your day needs it. Tides is a small game, designed to be a meditative escape with serene visuals, calming music, and simplistic gameplay. Drive your boat across various expedition destinations, discovering and collecting a plethora of beautiful fish.

Features:
    • Unlock new expedition destinations
    • Catch and collect over 50 fish
    • Unlock and upgrade new boats
    • Expand your home island to unlock new gameplay features

Links:
    TestFlight: https://testflight.apple.com/join/fMuANusp
    Shallot Games Discord: https://discord.gg/zaEZpB2
    Shallot Games Twitter: https://twitter.com/shallotgames

Screenshots:
    Tides_Screenshot1_2208x1242.png Tides_Screenshot2_2208x1242.png Tides_Screenshot3_2208x1242.png Tides_Screenshot4_2208x1242.png

2. Brightsiderus

Brightsiderus Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2017
    So, I guess it will be F2P?

3. shallotgames

Patreon Gold

Jul 15, 2017
    Yes, it is free to play, supported by iAP and opt-in ads. The ads primarily help speed up your progress (similar to boosted earnings found in many idle games), and iAP will typically be spent on unlocking/upgrading boats. Higher-tier boats do offer slightly better stats (faster, more storage), but are largely cosmetic and certainly aren't necessary to play through the entirety of the game.

4. Brightsiderus

Brightsiderus Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2017
    Played a little. It looks too easy when it comes to catching fish. It basically hooks itself to your hook.

5. shallotgames

Patreon Gold

Jul 15, 2017
    Thank you for giving it a shot! That's a fair assessment - in the game's current state, it's designed with very little (if any) challenge. We're obviously still a little ways off from the first major content update, but we're currently designing a tournament system that may help add some of the difficulty you're looking for, as well as provide end-game players with more content. If you want a greater degree of challenge, I might recommend revisiting once we've had a chance to work in some of the new designs we have planned!

6. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    @shallotgames I’ll download and take a look, my biggest peeves with idle game generally are ones that earn next to nothing or even just less when offline than when online. Having to stay online tapping or doing something similarly boring to earn as much. Finally adverts, ones where you feel like you spend as much time watching adverts as you do playing the game.

Two that come to mind that I did enjoy for a fair while are almost a hero which is extremely fair and has a lot to it and afk arena although I did tire of the endless grind there.

7. shallotgames

Patreon Gold

Jul 15, 2017
    Certainly take a look and let us know what you think! Just to set expectations properly, Tides has a much more active component than many other idle games. While you will be making progress via your idle assistants, the bulk of your progress will be through active gameplay, driving your boat around and catching fish yourself. In the early game, you can expect to progress fairly quickly just by seeking out rare fish. Once you're a day or two in, we expect much of the progress to be made through completing jobs to find and catch specific fish, with the idle earnings supplementing your progress, rather than being the main driver.

As far as the advertisements go, they're totally optional, and even if you're watching as many as we allow, I think it'd still only be something like one every 3 minutes. You'll go on expeditions which should take around 2-5 minutes each, and fill up your inventory with fish that are each worth some amount - our primary opt-in ad allows you to double your earnings upon expedition completion. We expect most players will only utilize the double-up after they've had a particularly good expedition. We hope that most people consider this a fair use of advertisements, you'll have to let us know after you've had a chance to check it out!

8. Asp

Asp Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2017
    Been spending time with Tides today. I do like this design style; a game that doesn’t give me any grief, just cool to laze about in. As well as fishing there’re other things to do which are gradually revealing themselves, plus an interesting selection of boats to save up for. Hope the fishing is kept straightforward, otherwise it could become a chore and spoil the vibe. The fishing assistants are already earning a lot so it hasn’t been necessary to watch any ads. Not sure that’s good for business. Anyhow, good to meet the developers on the beach.

9. shallotgames

Patreon Gold

Jul 15, 2017
    Very glad to hear you're enjoying it! Thank you for giving it a shot. We definitely intend to keep the fishing straightforward - we're excited to eventually add some additional gameplay for those who may be looking for a little more, but we certainly don't want to upset the no-pressure core gameplay/progression.

10. Stag

Stag Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2017
    Fun game. Is there a way to turn off the haptic feedback

11. shallotgames

Patreon Gold

Jul 15, 2017
    Not presently, though I suppose that should exist in the settings - will add it to our to-do list!

12. Stag

Stag Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2017
    Yeah, I checked the settings and that option was not there. Sounds great that you will add it. Nice relaxing game. Enjoying it.

13. Stag

Stag Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2017
    I like the new options in setting. Does dynamic change the day/night cycle automatically? Also, I got stuck on a sand dune. Tried moving the raft off of it but I couldn't, so is the only way out of that is to head back to home base?

14. shallotgames

Patreon Gold

Jul 15, 2017
    Happy to hear it! Yes - dynamic is how it was before, and will adjust day/night based on your phones clock. I believe the day/night and night/day shifts happen gradually between 7 and 8, both AM and PM.
    Regarding getting stuck: yes, at the moment the only way to fix the problem is to head back home. We may explore some other fixes in the future, but we're not considering this one to be game-breaking or anything given the tools available, and it being of relatively little consequence in most cases.

15. Stag

Stag Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2017
    Great. I notice when I’m out fishing the menu bar at the bottom, the fishing rod button, and the info that comes up when you catch a fish seems bouncy...it is not smooth..I thinking this happens because it is a beta?

16. shallotgames

Patreon Gold

Jul 15, 2017
    That ones just a stylistic choice on our part - all of our UI transitions have a little bounce to them, just to make the game feel a little more lively! Sorry if this comes across as annoying or anything! We played with a bunch of different transitions, the simple ones just felt a little flat to us.

17. Stag

Stag Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2017
    Oh no problem at all. Glad it is not a glitch or anything. Can't wait for what you guys have planned and for the official release. Dope game.