iPhone Cover Orange (by FDG)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, Dec 13, 2010.

1. ctay

ctay Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2010
    big K
    what are your COV scores (PM them to me)...

2. Jfoles13

Jfoles13 Member

Mar 16, 2011
    Ctay, could you tell me what game C&E is please? Thanks.

3. dabigkahuna

dabigkahuna Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2011
    Retired
    Hawaii
    I think she means Chicken and Egg - a Donut game.

4. dabigkahuna

Mar 5, 2011
    Retired
    Hawaii
    #1204 dabigkahuna, Jun 1, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2011
    I played with the 3G a bit more on CO and actually managed another pt on level 49 (992 now). Then I quit the game and moved on to CO Valentine on the 3G. Haven't played it on that in ages - probably well before some of the tricks were learned.

My old total score was 9838. Today I picked up 40 more points even with no slo-mo.

There are some levels I might pick up a little more, but even at my present 9878, I don't see how I can catch Pantsjo. He's 23 pts ahead of that and I don't see that many pts possible unless, if I ever get slo-mo, I can also stop the clock sooner.

5. dabigkahuna

Mar 5, 2011
    Retired
    Hawaii
    Another 16 pts on the 3G for cover orange valentine. Total is now 9894 - 7 short of Pantsjo and I've never even been able to get any of the levels to stop the clock sooner so his record seems safe.

6. dabigkahuna

Mar 5, 2011
    Retired
    Hawaii
    Ctay,

I restructured the score table since creating two sheets would not show both sheets to others. So rather than see if Pantjo could make it work, I just combined them on one sheet. The top section is as before - includes ALL top scores. Below that is another complete list which leaves out the 3G scores.

Now I need your help since the 2nd set of scores is NOT up to date. Any that don't have a name are likely wrong and you have most of the scores that are outdated (Pantsjo has some and there were a few others). Anyway, go through the list and send me updates. Otherwise it is mostly just a list of my high scores on the iphone 4!

7. dabigkahuna

Mar 5, 2011
    Retired
    Hawaii
  8. dabigkahuna

Mar 5, 2011
    Retired
    Hawaii
    #1208 dabigkahuna, Jun 3, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2011
    Hmmm, picked up 3 more points on COV (3G phone). So close to the top, yet so far.

Also picked up two on the ip4 on CO (improved level 185).

Just added 4 more on level 187 (iphone 4).

9. dabigkahuna

Mar 5, 2011
    Retired
    Hawaii
    This game can definitely change how it plays from day to day. I've mentioned some things before and saw signs of it today as well. Working on the last 20 levels - levels I've played over and over again trying to get max scores. Should have pretty much be done with that by now, yet I raised the score on 7 of them - and since those who already had scores of 991 couldn't be raised, that's amazing. And no trouble getting them today while I couldn't before.

10. dabigkahuna

Mar 5, 2011
    Retired
    Hawaii
    #1210 dabigkahuna, Jun 11, 2011
    Pantsjo,

Amazingly, I finally got my 3G (on the Valentine version) to beat your score (I got 9902 and at least one more point is possible if I get some luck on the gaps on level 6).

It further confirms that the game does NOT play the same way all the time even on the same hardware. The two points I picked up today were levels I've never been able to get the clock to stop higher, yet today I was able to get the higher number over and over until I finally actually beat the level.

You may well be able to push up your score with the trick I sent you, depending on your scores on individual levels.

Update - I just got the additional point on level 6 (now 9903 pts total). I suspect this is the most possible on the 3G, but I'll probably try periodically to raise it just in case the hardware continues to act differently sometimes.

Another update: Actually got 2 more points on level 5 but this was a changed strategy, not a change in how the hardware worked.

11. dabigkahuna

Mar 5, 2011
    Retired
    Hawaii
    Dang, still playing COV on the 3G and just got 3 more points today - all three with scores where I couldn't even get the counter to stop that high before. It definitely pays to come back to the game from time to time since it changes occasionally. 9908 right now and all 10 scores at 990 or better.

I've just left the game on even when I shut the screen off. I think there has been some slowdown, but any change has been very gradual. Must have been well over a week - maybe two - since I last quit the game.

Wish I could get the ip4 version to slow down some!

12. dabigkahuna

Mar 5, 2011
    Retired
    Hawaii
    Spent a lot of time back on the full Cover Orange on the iphone 4. And it is still changing how it plays. Just today I raised the score on 11 levels - and one jumped by 4 and another by 5!!!

Newbies may not think that means much, but wait until you start getting really high scores and you'll see how you have to scrape to pick up a point here and there. I still haven't quit the game completely so slow-mo is getting better, but this isn't the best I've had and I never got the clock to stop so soon before. At this point I'm mostly curious as to how far I can push these levels before the game crashes and I lose all slo-mo.

Present score is 197,835 - just 53 behind ctay. Never thought I'd see that happen. It wasn't many days ago when I got it down to a 99 point lead and absolutely thought I had gotten all the points possible on the iphone 4.

High score link

13. dabigkahuna

Mar 5, 2011
    Retired
    Hawaii
    Game just crashed, but I did pick up three more points (197,838 - 50 behind ctay). I still had 8 more levels to see if I could improve my score on this run-through, but all those only had one more point possible. No more slo-mo, of course, so for awhile I may see if I can get some slo-mo on COV.

14. dabigkahuna

Mar 5, 2011
    Retired
    Hawaii
    #1214 dabigkahuna, Jun 19, 2011
    ctay,

Been playing the full game on the 3G again and I'm still amazed. Picked up 18 points in the past couple days! Keep in mind that since we know of no hardware that can score above 992 and since I have that many points on all but 53 levels, it's even more shocking (198,218 so far).

And on some levels I've picked up a bunch - like 7 more on level 162.

15. best

best Well-Known Member

aw missed the free time. Please make free again. thought it was a rubbish game.

16. dabigkahuna

Mar 5, 2011
    Retired
    Hawaii
    Finally gave up on the 3G even though I know there is one more point possible on level 162. Even though I kept getting better slo-mo, I never again got the timer to stop at 992. Must have been really lucky that one time. And when I went ahead and tried to beat it at 991 pts, I never could make the gaps work out like when I beat it before. The pattern was different so I was just exceptionally lucky before.

Time for new levels!

17. SSBenj

SSBenj Active Member

Jul 17, 2011
    This list is lies. 991/992 on pretty much every level isn't possible. Level 3 for starters, you have to wait for the oranges to roll which makes 991/2 impossible??? I bought this game the other day and have a reasonable score 194.something and know I can still improve that but how you claim to score 991/2 on some of those levels is beyond me? Can anyone post a vid of 992 on level 3 for example? I think not...

18. mikeg123

mikeg123 Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2009
    I bet someone could prove it with a video. ;) If you read the thread more closely, you'll see that a glitch (or two or three) had been found. I haven't followed all of the glitches carefully, but there is a slow-mo glitch, and I think that one is dependent on what hardware you play the game on.

So if the game were glitch free, then you wouldn't see those high scores.

19. dabigkahuna

Mar 5, 2011
    Retired
    Hawaii
    #1219 dabigkahuna, Jul 17, 2011
    The list is legit. On the scores that include the 3G, I have most of them. As the other poster said, there are tactics people have discovered and some things that could be considered glitches AND it plays a bit differently on different hardware.

For example, I could never get 992 on any level on my iphone 4, not matter what I did. But people with an iTouch 3 could get it on some (11-13 of them I think).

The first level is an easy one to check since you just drop one object. 991 is all I could get. But when I played the game on my iPhone 3G, I could get a rather large number of 992 scores -but never more than than 992.

Almost all the tricks are listed somewhere in this thread.

A quick version of two of the tricks:

Slo-mo: This lets you do more before the timer runs down as far.

Another trick is that you can protect oranges by balancing things on top of them. It's definitely tricky, especially if you need to do it to more than one orange! I mean, if you have one chance in 10 of properly getting an orange to balance, if you need to do it twice on the same level, it will only happen one time in 100. But I've done it a few times.

20. dabigkahuna

Mar 5, 2011
    Retired
    Hawaii
    #1220 dabigkahuna, Jul 17, 2011
    As far as I can tell, slo-mo is possible on all hardware. I've done it with iphone 3G and 4. It's also been done with iTouch 3 and iphone 3GS that others have reported.

Now, getting slo-mo with the old Cover Orange Valentine (only has 10 levels) seems to be MUCH more difficult. I got it a LITTLE slower - but only once.

While there are many tricks, slo-mo is the most critical for getting the really top scores so anyone interested in competing for the top might as well work to be sure they can get it.