Crescent Moon Games is looking for an intern

Discussion in 'Developer Services and Trade' started by JoshCM, May 6, 2010.

1. WunDaii

WunDaii Well-Known Member

You get credit at the end, and as Josh said, it's for the experience. It could also be a summer-time activity (?) which you can just mock up a cute level design that will soon be used in the real game.

2. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

#22 Eli, May 7, 2010
    Last edited: May 7, 2010
    I don't think an internship is what you think it is.

edit: Seriously though, the reason you do things like this is so when you actually go to get a real game development job, you have something to show for yourself beyond a degree in computer science from a community college. Look at any game development job posting, they care about two main things: Experience and portfolios. Josh is potentially giving you both.

3. JoshCM

JoshCM Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Game Designer
    Upstate NY
    and a gift at the end! :p

4. Mondae

Mondae Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Perv, why do you care?
    GIFT!!! Aw. Plus being featured in a game would be pimp. That would be something to brag about. It would be so awesomenessly. Even having an idea would be awesome.

5. Drkdstoyer

Drkdstoyer Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2009
    Artist for a developing game
    Tennessee
    I just sent my level design :) if you need any help deciphering, just tell me!

6. cubytes

cubytes Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2009
    sounds like fun :) I'll get started right away :)

7. JoshCM

JoshCM Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Game Designer
    Upstate NY
    Ok I'm going to do a deadline of May 20th for these entries.
    You may submit more than one if you feel like it.
    We'll judge the best of your submissions.

8. Mondae

Mondae Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Perv, why do you care?
    Josh, you'll be so mind blown you will use all my levels.

9. JoshCM

JoshCM Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Game Designer
    Upstate NY
    I like that enthusiasm!

10. Rocketman919

Rocketman919 Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Cali-forn-i-a
    So you are looking for drawings of Mario style levels?

11. What skills does an intern need? Is it some sort of community manager, or what? I can't code, but I really wanna help you

12. JoshCM

JoshCM Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Game Designer
    Upstate NY
    I'm looking for good drawing skills and ideas. Level designer intern basically.
    Yes Mario/Mega Man still level design. It doesn't matter if it doesn't fit the game exactly either, I'll be able to tell if the ideas are there, and the detail in the drawing.

13. Bmamba

Bmamba Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Game dev
    Canada
    I was just thinking the same...:p lol...

Why would anybody with a once of talent would go there. I can do the same thing somewhere else and get paid for it...

14. jak56

jak56 Well-Known Member

y'see, in the real world, no matter how good you are, people love two thing about a guy they hire: skill (yes, i know), but also experience. if you've already done a project, then you'll immediately put on higher ground (it helps if that project turns out to be legendary).

the guys at crescent moon are doing you a favour. also, wouldn't you enjoy drawing during the summer? it's not like they're trying to stack a whole load of work along with your schoolwork or whatnot.

15. JoshCM

JoshCM Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Game Designer
    Upstate NY
    well its for people that have no game experience whatsoever, but want to break into the game industry. If you've done a fair amount of drawing and have some good ideas, you could get chosen by us to help out on the project. After the summer you can say you interned at Crescent Moon, and we'll give you good references (if you've done a decent job). This could help you get a job at another game studio down the road. Anyway - 10 days left!

16. Bmamba

Bmamba Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Game dev
    Canada

well not for me them...more like a student thing... good luck with your game..

17. cubytes

cubytes Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2009
    awww i wish i could draw im trying to get my friend to help me draw out some of my level design ideas, but he's more of an airbrush artist though, and i gotta be honest i cant really draw worth issh :( maybe i could digitally...

im extremely creative though...

been working on different concepts like for instance...

trying to imagine how politics and/or the natural/un-natural struggles of a planets/level's indigenous population (creatures/monsters, intelligent life forms, aliens, ect) can tie into the platforming/action experience.

I think it would be cool if each planet/set of levels would have its own optional background story/lore, drama, struggles, situations ect in addition to the over-arching storyline.

These small stories within the story (so to speak) would help propel the experience forward in very interesting ways, rather then a generic platforming set up in which there typically really isn't much context to each individual level rather then it being yet another obstacle on your way to achieve the overall goal of the game.

for mario its usually save the princess, but you never really get inadvertently drawn into some kind of alternate struggle going on within the levels you traverse, as in being the hero you have the choice to take time out of your quest to help out with some side quests as you make your way to the princess, using this time to try and find out new information about where bowser is keeping the princess or earn new abilities or unlock new areas ect.

of course they could be completely optional and have different outcomes as in you can save one side or help the other, where the choice would be a moral choice and completely up to the gamer and that decision could effect the outcome of the experience within the level itself and/or the outcome of the overarching storyline would change depending on how you handle a given situation..

and it doesn't have to be complex and diplomatic like mass effect, it could be really simple as in you are making your way across the level and you see two creatures chasing some kind of alien you choose to help out or not and if you do help out you can have a conversation with that alien to learn more about the planet and whats going on, even ask it questions that point you in the direction of the overall goal (if the alien knows about it). Also the alien might have different problems or side quests that you can help out with to unlock new areas of the level or new abilities ect or you can simply say no problem but im in a hurry and leave without getting into it a conversation at all

also working on different platform and puzzle ideas for the level im trying to create....

18. JoshCM

JoshCM Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Game Designer
    Upstate NY
    7 days left!!!

19. Mondae

Mondae Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Perv, why do you care?
    Oh good... Next week. I'm only working on finishing the first. I thought it was today.

20. Pamx

Pamx Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2009
    UK
    Just wanted to give a nudge to anybody who might be sitting on the fence. I've recently met a very talented, degree-qualified candidate who really found it very difficult initially to get any industry experience at all & would have fought for this sort of opportunity.

Since game development is now offered by so many universities around the world, getting in on the ground floor of any company (much less one that's as well-regarded as Crescent Moon) is getting tougher everyday with so many candidates chasing so few openings. This internship may not be paid, but it could seriously help anyone who aspires to break into game development to rise above the zillions of others struggling for attention & opportunities.

Great initiative Crescent Moon! We need more developers to follow suit! :)