Universal Demon Hunters - Upcoming Turn-based Dungeon Crawler from Wave Light Games

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by WaveLightGames, Nov 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WaveLightGames

WaveLightGames Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    No problem.

Latest version is out. This fixes the inventory and day 2 quest bugs.

2. Ekinnoxx

Ekinnoxx Member

Dec 19, 2014
    buy or help to test ?

hi guy
    I know I'm a little late in the process, but is it possible to buy your game? Or help test it if it is not available? I'm on an iPad Air2.

I am new to the forum and I do not know how it works ...

In any case, your game seems to be on ios what I expected (after finishing and refinishing Xcom EW)

thx

3. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Sure, no problem. Right now I'm in early beta testing so I can add you to that and you'll be able to download and play the beta for free. Send me a pm with your email. I believe you will need to register that email with apple test flight.

4. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    By the way, one more change in the latest build (v1.2) is that it now forces a further compression on the game textures on devices with 1GB of RAM. Earlier, I was allowing full sized textures on these devices but I think that the issue with characters freezing is due to memory so I'm forcing this to reduce the memory footprint. Please try the new version with graphics set to 0 (Max Battery) and let me know if you find that same issue. Also, let me know if you think graphics look noticeably worse with this extra compression.

5. Jim Shorts

Jim Shorts Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2014
    Virginia
    #285 Jim Shorts, Dec 19, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2014
    Stuck on inventory screen

So I don't notice any issues with textures. It all seems to be the same. But I did get stuck in the inventory screen on about the third mission and could not continue. I'm thinking it all has to do with how many apps are on my device. I downloaded a few games last night, so that, I think has a lot to do with it. I think it is all to do with how much space I have on my ipad. So when I delete some apps, it runs better... if this helps.

So yeah... just replayed the level with the lever again... at the end when I place things in my inventory and want to continue... I press the "Continue" button and it doesn't do anything. I've retried the level maybe 4 times.

6. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Sounds like how iOS handles low memory is different from other platforms for Unity3D programs. In other platforms (Android and Windows Phone), the whole game just crashes on a low memory situation. Seems like in iOS, things just start acting weird. :confused:

I'm going to try and do some research on it and see what the best practices are regarding memory management. I'm going to grab a newer iOS phone and tablet for some further testing over the holidays to see if the same things occur on newer devices. It may still be something in my code so I'll keep digging through the code and try and figure it out.

Anyway, as I haven't posted any interesting updates lately .... I'm going to make some more preview videos of new characters. Expect video demos and screen shots of the Half Giant and Illusionist on here very soon. :D

7. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Okay ... I'll look into it. The level with the lever is level 3, I think. When in level 2, I believe you were awarded some items. Were you able to take some items and put in your inventory and then continue on that level?

8. Jim Shorts

Nov 3, 2014
    Virginia
    Yup

Everything was working fine up until level 3 and I can't move on.

9. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    That's unfortunate ... I'll try to look into and push out another update but I doubt it'll get through apple's approval process before they go on holidays. :(

10. Jim Shorts

Nov 3, 2014
    Virginia
    Updates

That would be awesome. I hope I'm being helpful... I hate testing and bearing any bad news that I know is a headache.

On the plus side, I think as you lower the textures (well, if you did), it doesn't really effect the characters; in fact, they seem to look and run better.

11. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Did any of your characters level up on that stage?

12. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    You're being incredibly helpful ... thank you very much. I would much rather identify and fix these issues now rather than after release. :)

13. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    I made some quick changes and pushed out an update. On my 4S, I'm able to progress beyond level 3 normally with this build. I'm hoping then that I fixed the issue.

I have uploaded this version (1.21) to Test Flight but it's still being processed. Hopefully I'll be able to release it today.

14. Jim Shorts

Nov 3, 2014
    Virginia
    Level Up

No, I beleive the characters leveled up on the stage before... but I got quite a few items... still odd with the inventory btw. It's hard to know where things go and who things are for. It's very tiny and maybe, I dunno... maybe make it pop up? In order to acess and view where things go? i guess it's cool that there are so many places to add items, very cool... but it's hard to see.

15. Ekinnoxx

Ekinnoxx Member

Dec 19, 2014
    First comment and question after 10 min

Hi guy!

I just tested the creation of the characters and the first fight.
    First comment and question if you allow:

1. I did some shots to show the graphic problems. Do you have an email address where I can send you the pictures?
    Some characters are very poor textures and some very good:
    - Half giant and especially illusionist very ugly
    - Instead, Ranger and Assassin are beautiful (I'm talking about texture)

of course I tried 3 graphics positions and it changes nothing.

FYI I have an iPad Air 2 so with 2MB memory and just your game loaded.

Any idea?

16. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Welcome aboard. So yes, the reason that some characters look really bland and others look much sharper is that I have different compression settings for each of the textures. I looked at it this morning and the Half Giant, for example, has his textures compress way too much. So I'll go through each of the characters and adjust those settings. For mobile platforms, I have to compress textures to some degree as these platforms have limited RAM as compared to the a PC build. However, it's a balancing act and I definitely went too far with some characters.

17. Ekinnoxx

Ekinnoxx Member

Dec 19, 2014
    second one

Also, a second question:

The action buttons or menus are OK, but some texts in the reading windows are blurred, even very blurred.

Possibly a problem with retina display or?

18. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Yep ... I've got to figure out a way to make the inventory GUI a lot easier to read on mobile platforms. At the moment, it's really build for PC. I'm thinking of perhaps flipping it horizontally on mobile platforms so that there is more space. Of course, that would mean the player would have to keep changing his device orientation.

I also have to make it clearer where things go. Some characters can use shields, for example, while others can use wizard staffs and so forth. That's not really explained anywhere so the player is left trying to figure things out for themselves.

19. Ekinnoxx

Ekinnoxx Member

Dec 19, 2014
    I'm happy if I can help ! :) Your game seems really interesting

LOL, sure I guess you have a little too played with some for the compression

20. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    By the way, I was just doing my own play through in the latest version (1.21) on my iPhone 4S. Got to the level with the Spider Demon and had to restart because that weird character freezing issue came up. When I restarted, I meant to load my saved game but accidentally created a new game and overwrote my prior save! It's really easy to do that if you're not careful ... I should probably fix that. :eek: