Universal Demon Hunters - Upcoming Turn-based Dungeon Crawler from Wave Light Games

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by WaveLightGames, Nov 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ramzarules

ramzarules Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    can i recommend you leave the centaur as archer with a light healing ability, and add another character: the druid! nature/ healing / buffing magic

2. WaveLightGames

WaveLightGames Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    So far I have the following types:

1 - Self buffs that improves hit chance / critical hit chance / missile range
    2 - A special shot type that has the arrows splitting up into a hail of arrows that cover a wide area.
    3 - Elemental arrow effects (fire, ice, etc.)
    4 - Poisonous arrow shots that do damage over time.
    5 - Special arrow shots that hit vulnerable body parts (eyes, legs) that impose a permanent stat reduction as well as damage (lower % chance to hit, lower movement, etc.)

3. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    The Elf Ranger is kind of a druid ... just a druid armed with a bow. She can do healing, nature buff spells and even summon a treeman.

4. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Hi guys,

Here is today's update. I finished the last level of chapter 1. This is a big battle with the General of the Ratkin army, his bodyguard and his pet wyvern. It should be a very tough fight ... especially as more Ratmen will enter the battle during gameplay.

[​IMG]pic xx by raj_dhillon, on Flickr

The level is interesting too because there is a body of water in the middle and only two thin bridges across that water.

[​IMG]pic z by raj_dhillon, on Flickr

[​IMG]pic x by raj_dhillon, on Flickr

Let me know what you think. Next will be more player characters and sound effects.

5. Grifman

Grifman Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Additional archery abilities:

Arrows of healing - heal you teammate for x hit points
    Arrows of treachery - enemy unit moves and attacks its nearest ally
    Arrows of explosions - aoe explosive effect
    Arrows of fear - enemy unit moves as far away as it can get from your units
    Arrows of panic - enemy unit skips a turn

(Last two might only be effective if the enemy is taken x% of damage)

6. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Thanks for the ideas. Arrows that are designed to stun and confuse might be useful if the centaur is primarily a melee fighter. So a high level centaur could fire several types of arrows to stun / confuse enemies and then use some melee abilities to boost his melee attacks and speed and then charge into melee to do a lot of damage. That could be a good overall design for the character.

7. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Working on the centaur now. I switched out the centaur's spear for twin curved blades attached at his armguards. The idea is to switch him from a spear fighter that prefers to stay at range to a close up fighter. Suprisingly, the animations for the spear still look really good with dual wrist blades. :)

8. ramzarules

ramzarules Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    gah, every time you post screenshots, i am thinking why can't i buy this game yet.. :D

9. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Thanks .. glad you're liking them.

Now that the last level is done for chapter 1 and most of the bugs are resolved, I think I can put down an accurate timeline for completion and submission. I'm going to aim for a late February submission to Apple.

January will be spent adding characters, fine-tuning sound effects, special effects, divine favours, bug fixing, gameplay options, etc.

February will be spent in end-to-end play throughs. I'll submit an updated play test build at the end of Jan that will be largely feature complete. I'm going to use Feb to perform gameplay improvements / adjustments to make sure that characters are balanced, difficulty is appropriate on all levels, strategy is critical to victory, magic items are balanced, rewards are appropriate per level, and so forth.

Once chapter 1 is out, I'll work on chapter 2 and 3. I suspect I can get all 20 characters ready for chapter 1 release.

10. Jim Shorts

Jim Shorts Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2014
    Virginia
    Looks freaking great!! So looking forward to this!

11. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Thanks.

I finished the Centaur's abilities and voice today. He ended up being a total bad-ass. An excellent melee fighter that can first soften up his enemies and stun them with arrows before charging into melee and just tearing stuff up. Lots of abilities that increase melee attacks of his own and his nearby allies and he can even plant a totem on the ground that makes all units enter a berserker fury while standing next to it. :D

12. Grifman

Grifman Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    I think he also should have the ability to move longer distances per turn. He is a horse after all. :)

13. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Yes .... I added that ability. One of his abilities is a charge move that increases his movement for 1 turn. His normal movement is also the highest in the game.

14. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Hey guys, quick update ... Centaur is more or less done. Just working on his character preview video.

Next character to get the finishing touches will be the ice-themed Samurai. :)

15. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    hi guys,

Sorry for the radio silence. I was travelling for my day job. Did a fair bit of testing and bug fixing. Found a nasty bug related to magic items where the player character gets to keep his stat boosts from the magic item if he acquires it from the dungeon and then goes to the vendor and sells it. I think I know the fix for it though and will get that fixed today.

Otherwise, testing is interesting. With the various changes I've made, the game is certainly not too easy any more. It's actually getting quite challenging. I still think that character level up too often ... seems to be every level or 2 levels or so. I think a level up should happen every 3 or 4 levels, ideally. Any thoughts on that?

Lots more tweaking and adjusting stuff to go. But testing is actually doing a good job of showing me what I need to adjust.

Will post a series of photos and videos of characters and gameplay this week. Hoping to finish the Samurai, Knight and Chronomancer this week.

16. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Daily update. More bugs found and being fixed. Mostly around the magic items and how they boost stats of characters. Messy code I wrote long ago mixed in with stuff I wrote more recently ... yuck. :(

Getting through it ... I seem to have a situation where magic items no longer accumulate their benefits onto a character's statline. However, some errors till popping up depending on the type of magic item it is.

17. aconfusedkender

aconfusedkender Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2012
    Oil & Gas
    Kendermore, Ansalon
    Man o' Man finish this monster up ;) Keep up the great work guys!

18. Jaxal65

Jaxal65 Member

Oct 30, 2014
    Wifi Free

Will this game require a constant internet connection?

19. madreviewer

madreviewer Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2013
    No , the last build I have played did not.

20. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    No ... wouldn't think so. It's a single player game so I don't think requiring an internet connection would be needed.