Universal Demon Hunters - Upcoming Turn-based Dungeon Crawler from Wave Light Games

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by WaveLightGames, Nov 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ZeroVoid

ZeroVoid Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2011
    I have. I like the set-up with dragging things back and forth from your and his inventories and getting a running tally of what you're owed/have to pay. But like you said the text is hard to read and some of the icons are difficult to decipher. It might also be helpful to have some kind of highlight showing where the item you've selected is equipped (ie. highlight the weapon slot when selecting an axe). Also, I don't know how your system works regarding which classes can equip which items or whether everyone can equip everything, but it might be nice to indicate whether each party member can equip a selected item.

Also, unrelated to the shop, it might be nice to indicate how many actions each character has left. I'm unsure how many attacks a character gets before he is unable to move, etc.

2. WaveLightGames

WaveLightGames Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Great feedback ... thanks.

At the moment, there aren't a lot of restrictions on characters. The only thing is around weapons or specifically what is carried in both hand slots. Some warriors like the half giant can only carry one big weapon and so equipping a weapon will occupy both slots. Those equipped with a shield can also equip shields in the other hand. Those armed with a bow can usually equip a weapon in one hand and a bow in the other. Wizards can usually equip a staff in one hand and an off-hand item in the other such as a book or something.

It's not very clear as there's no visual indicator of which slot an item goes to. Highlighting the appropriate slot might be a good idea but might be a bit tricky to implement for a few reasons I won't go into. I'll give it some thought but let me know if you have any other ideas.

3. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    One thing I was considering was having the inventory go horizontal rather than vertical as this would give me lots more space. However, it would involve the player rotating his device ... kind of like how it's handled in warhammer quest. Would allow me to make things much bigger but then the player would have the jarring experience of rotating his device around.

4. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Regarding the size of fonts and stuff ... I think there might have been some bad code that was actually scaling things wrong on iPads. I've removed that code so it should be better in the next update. I'll try to set the pan / rotate / zoom speed as an optional setting as well and slow them all down by default in the next update.

5. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Pressing the character portrait on the bottom left of the screen brings up the character sheet. It shows a summary of stats, remaining attacks, current buffs and debuffs and some other info

6. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Hey guys ... made the action text bigger in my version. Now you should be able to read damage text and other on screen messages.

Working on adjusting zoom, rotate and pan speed now.

7. Lickzy

Lickzy Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Oct 28, 2013
    Director of Sales
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    Sent you another pm with my appropriate Apple ID for test flight. Can't wait to start playing this bad boy!

8. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    No problem, fellow Canadian ... added you to the list.

9. Lickzy

Lickzy Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Oct 28, 2013
    Director of Sales
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    dhanyavaad!

10. ZeroVoid

ZeroVoid Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2011
    Okay, great. It's hard to know how each game handles weapons so it's nice to hear that from you.

Perfect. I figured there was probably something I had missed. So far the base seems quite fun and I'm looking forward to your updates!

11. Jim Shorts

Jim Shorts Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2014
    Virginia
    Looking forward to this... downloaded it, haven't had a chance to play... really looking forward to it over the weekend though!

12. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    #532 Nullzone, May 2, 2015
    Last edited: May 2, 2015
    Gameplay Info/Docu: Party composition, and first impressions

Quite a bunch of feedback coming up ;)

- First of all, the monsters are extremely well done. The Ratlings remind me of Warhammer's Skaven, and what else I have seen so far looks really good too. And definitely not your standard fantasy "Orcs and Goblins" stuff. Very nice to see something different.

For the record, I went with an all-girl party and picked:
    Weapon Melee: Asassin, Duelist
    Bow Ranged: Archer, Ranger
    Magic Ranged: Storm Seer, Shadow Elf Witch

In dungeon level 3 now, and so far I like the party.
    I lack a good tank, one or two good hits kill any of the girls.
    But two of them have healing spells, so as long as I survive, I am good and can recover easily.
    To make up for the lack in raw tankiness, all 6 seem to have pretty high dodge, and rarely get hit.
    Also, they seem to do pretty well in the damage department (I have no comparison yet): Usually, I can kill two monsters per round and not get hit in return at all.

I'm pretty sure a party with e.g. a Skeleton Champion, Ent, and Minotaur plays quite different. So, great job in that regard!

Difficulty feels right so far. Tactically slightly challenging, but very appropriate for the start of the game.

13. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    #533 Nullzone, May 2, 2015
    Bug: [Shop, Air] Item description text goes past right screen edge

Now, another bug next:
    On my iPad Air 1, the floating window with the item description is positioned too far to the right, it stretches past the right screen edge. Screenshot attached.

Bug two: I somehow managed to get my first item for free in the shop.
    It happened by experimenting with the interface (which is not good, should be more intuitive; will try to give more details later), so I don't have the steps to do it again.
    When another item that I can afford shows up, I'll try to reproduce it.

Bug Three: The main menu button "How to Play" doesn't do anything. If you have no content yet, no worries. I do recommend to have a tutorial and information text ready at launch, though.

Attached Files:

14. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    #534 Nullzone, May 2, 2015

The shop needs to scale the items it sells better to the party level. I am level 0 still, and the Dwarf offers me level 86 and level 93 equipment?
    Same goes for loot: I already found level 30+ and 40+ equipment. Very long way to go to actually use it, I'd say...
    Like Zerovoid already wrote, an indication on who can use which item would help. Highlighting the portraits of those who can in green, and those who cannot in red, by adding colored rings around the portraits could work.

UPDATE: Apparently which item level you can use does NOT depend on your hero's level. Shop away, folks! ;)

UI feedback I'll write up tomorrow.

15. Dunan

Dunan Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2013
    Australia
    @Wavelightgames

Before I went to bed I did a little research funnily enough by playing Warhammer Quest. Nullzone's solution to tooltips would probably work. I guess the problem I find is that to read a tooltip I have to keep holding a finger down and can't let it go. Also a side effect of that is that I can move the map while the tooltip is up.

In WH Quest a pop up appears and the game underneath until you click outside of the tooltip box.

That would be the elegant solution?

Just other notes. I think during combat there needs to be some sort of indicator to how many melee and ranged attacks are available that have yet to be used.

16. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Thanks guys ... this is amazing feedback. It's really awesome to have people from other parts of the world actually play with something I've spent the past year making.

So far the feedback is really useful. I actually made a quick change to the size of the damage / message text and it makes the game so much better on my iPhone 5 test device. Seriously major improvement and incredibly easy to implement. It never occurred to do it. Will respond to the other points tomorrow.

If anyone else wants to join the beta ... just let me know on this thread.

17. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    The tool tip is definitely not ideal at the moment. I want to make it available for players initially but not get in the way once players are familiar with the abilities and their effects. I'll give it some thought to see if there's an easy fix / middle ground.

18. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    An indicator of remaining attacks shouldn't be too hard to show on the HUD at the bottom of the left hand side of the screen. I'd have to make sure it's updated after each attack is made or an ability grants additional attacks. Shouldn't be too hard. Have you tried pulling up the stat sheet by pressing the character portrait on the hud? That shows attacks remaining.

19. cofunguy

cofunguy Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2012
    #539 cofunguy, May 2, 2015
    Sadly that is the only email I have...Have gotten other testflight emails to this email. Even did a search for testflight and nothing showed up in search in the past 3 weeks (shows my last testflight test on April 6th for another company)

20. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Thanks ... I'll get that fixed.

We have a winner! You figured out how to steal from the shopkeeper. All you have to do is drag an item from his pack to yours and it doesn't register as a buy action. Then just click finalize sale and you own it. Enjoy while you can because I fixed it already in my version.

Yep ... Haven't got there yet. Actually wanted to get some real player feedback to see how much I need to explain in the tutorial.