Universal Demon Hunters - Upcoming Turn-based Dungeon Crawler from Wave Light Games

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by WaveLightGames, Nov 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dunan

Dunan Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2013
    Australia
    Hope I'm not bombarding you with all this stuff. I'm thinking of how it the UI could be more friendly for players. While you could look in the character bio, do you really want to do that as a player, constantly to check how many attacks you have left? I suppose it's just to streamline things a little better for the player to have the information they need without needing to dig into character sheets.

2. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    @cofunguy: make a new one at www.gmx.com. It's free, and it works with Testflight.

3. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male

I have pretty much the same thing as Dunan in my notes for the UI:
    - Show number of attacks/actions left. Could get a bit difficult with lots of attacks, though. Indicators for "can attack / use skills / move" should be a good start.
    - That would also cover the next point: A clear indicator that the unit did all her actions for this round.
    - Buttons to cycle to the next/previous unused unit.
    - Show enemy attack range when you click on an enemy. Just from where they are currently should be good. Showing both movement range and resulting attack range might be a bit much.

Nice to haves:
    - Show more enemy info, like name, stats and history if you have any. Maybe not directly in the battle UI, but in a Bestiary that you can access via the Options Menu.
    - Multiple and manual saves. I had saves in other games get corrupted once or twice already, decidely not fun. Only using one saveslot is quite a design flaw for me.
    - Allow to name the saves. When you have more, them all being named "Saved Game" gets convoluted quite fast.

- Make the shop come up automatically after you complete a dungeon stage. Currently I need to close and restart the game for that, which is quite tedious.

4. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Bug: re-equipping an item raises Dodge stat every time

In the shop interface, when I unequip an item and re-equip it, my Dodge stat goes up permanently. I need to check which item it was exactly, and if I can do that with other items as well.

5. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Autosave doesn't work too well, unfortunately.
    I just lost a few rounds of progress again, because my kid wanted to play something else and I had to send DHs to the background.
    Manual save please, as I already wrote ;)

6. Killerluffy246

Killerluffy246 Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2014
    Asia
    I would like to beta test this game out! The gameplay and graphics looks very good and it got my interest .
    Device: iPhone 5 16GB
    IOS : 8.1.3
    Email Address: [email protected]

7. WaveLightGames

WaveLightGames Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Great ... I'll add you later today.

8. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Adding saves in between battle rounds would be a big task. I would have to save the number of enemies, position of all units, facing of all units, current life, current mana, etc. It would be a really big change and would also need a lot of testing. As such, I don't think I can do that as it would delay release.

I'm curious why going to the background would cause you to lose progress. On my iPhone 5, i can put the game in the background and come back to it the next day and continue the battle. Are you testing on a 512 MB ram device? If so, that might be why that happens.

9. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    That's a concern. I'll look into that. Can you check if it's only on dodge or other stats too? Does the extra dodge carry over to the character stats on a battle?

10. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    I'll add some more info on the character display on the bottom left that will show attacks remaining. Also, I think I'll make a clear button for the player stat sheet as it's clearly not obvious that the portrait is a button to bring up the stat sheet. Cycle buttons to go to next character might be an option but could get complicated with how the game code works now. Clicking on the enemy to show attack or movement range isn't possible in the current code base. You can also bring up the enemy stat sheet by clicking on the enemy portrait when you select it as an attack target.

A bestiary is an excellent idea and I can reuse the character selection level design but just display enemy units. Should be doable.

You shouldn't need to restart the game ... just click the menu button on the top right of the screen and press the button that says "flee dungeon" or something. You'll go back to camp where you can go back to the shop. Sometimes the game crashes to desktop when you click this button but I think I have this fixed in my version.

11. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    #551 Nullzone, May 2, 2015
    Last edited: May 2, 2015
    Then maybe you misunderstood my point about the shop.
    I shouldn't have to flee or restart the game to visit it.
    The most natural to me is when it comes up after you completed a stage.

Too bad that showing enemy range won't work currently.
    If you can find a way to add the next/previous unit buttons, that would be great. It's pretty much a standard for strategy/tactics games to grey a used unit out, and have those buttons.

About the game in background:
    I am on Air, 1GB Ram. And it even reverts when I switch to the browser. I had 78% memory usage, so that shouldn't happen I think. I cleaned out the RAM, down to 38% now; let's see how that goes.

12. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    #552 Nullzone, May 2, 2015
    Last edited: May 2, 2015
    The increasing dodge still works, it's the item in the screenshot.
    It does not carry over to the actual battle though.

I found a bunch more bugs in the shop:
    1) All my girls suddenly have the belt I bought.
    2) All have a cloak I only bought one of. The one other cloak I had has disappeared.
    3) Sometimes stuff doesn't stay equipped and flips back to the inventory.

Attached Files:

13. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    And this. That item suddenly gives +2200(!) hp, and it carries over into battle.

Attached Files:

14. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Thanks ... I'll look into those bugs. That magic item is nuts but clearly a bug in how it was generated. The item generator shouldn't have assigned an item level of -999. I'll look into how that came about in the code. You might want to hold onto that item though and use it if you get stuck on any level.

On a separate note, has anyone played around with the option screen? Have you tried different difficulty settings or adjusted graphics options? Enabling the toggle for "Extra Character Detail" adds a whole bunch of new graphic goodness to the characters. It might slow things down though on older devices ... though the iPhone 6 handles it easily. Same goes for toggling special FX settings ... that enables / disables fog and other particle effects.

15. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Hey guys,

Quick update ... I've added the number of attacks and also a stat sheet button to the character HUD display on the bottom left side of the screen. So now there is another dial similar to the blue and red ones for action and life but for attacks.

16. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Another quick update ... I fixed most of the Inventory bugs. The cloaks and belt slots now behave normally and equipping and unequipping items behaves properly. The latter bug was caused by dragging an item out of an equipment slot so that's fixed now. Will look into the generation of weird -999 level items.

17. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Great job on fixing the inventory bugs and adding new features on top of it!
    I left the difficulty on default, higher ones I usually try after a first complete playthrough, whe I know what I'm doing ;)

The extra character details I switched on right from the start. Yes, it drains battery really fast. But I wouldn't want to play with the reduced graphics quality, found it pretty ugly. Good for supporting older devices though, like you said.

18. Dunan

Dunan Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2013
    Australia
    The show was generating some items with only a description and no stats. I assume that this might be vendor trash. One was a gold necklace, another was a fish. Also found a lv 1 enchanted unholy blade which had no stats, more vendor trash?

Another thing I noticed as I was in the shop was that the stat sheet for the first character or my knight was that the it showed Life Regen, Ap Regen, Range Dmg and Melee damage as "1 -14" for example while on the last five character stat sheets it shows it as "1 / 14" instead.

Attached Files:

19. Dunan

Dunan Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2013
    Australia
    Found what might be a bug on the equipment screen.

When I tried equipping weapons to the Storm Seer or the Archer I was unable to. All my other characters in party did not have this problem.

20. Killerluffy246

Killerluffy246 Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2014
    Asia
    Thx , promise to give you lots of feed backs to ensure this releases perfectly.