Universal Demon Hunters - Upcoming Turn-based Dungeon Crawler from Wave Light Games

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by WaveLightGames, Nov 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WaveLightGames

WaveLightGames Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    I think this is by design. Wizards can only equip staffs and other wizard items in their hands and the elf archer can only equip a bow. It's not clear in the current design so I'm trying to figure out a way to make this clearer. Let me know if you have any ideas.

2. Dunan

Dunan Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2013
    Australia
    I also tried to equip a crossbow on the archer and that didn't work either. Are archers just limited to bows, assuming they exist?

3. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Bows exist, my Archer uses one ;)
    I am not completely sure yet, but I think any item that has "Sylvan" in the description can only be used by Elves.
    Crossbows are for the Gnome, I guess.

How to make this clearer:
    Like I wrote earlier, indicators like green/red highlight of the portraits for can/cannot use an item.
    And add a list of who can use what to the helpfile.

4. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Not really. Any character can use any clothing or jewelery item. The only restrictions relate to the two hand slots. Wizards can only use staffs, archers can only use bows and only certain characters can use shields. It's not a clear system but I think I have a good idea on how to make it clearer without heavy code changes.

5. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Yep ... There are lots of items that have no stat effect. These represent stuff that you find that might be of value but only to the merchant. Some, like the fish or mechanical cogs, are worth practically nothing while there are some gems and gold bars that are worth a lot.

The way magic items work is that there are around 200 base items. Then when an item is created, it is given a level # and quality (such as epic, broken, enchanted, etc.) The level and quality determine it's value and the magnitude of any stat line change they give. That way you can have lots of items without too much effort in creating them. I intend to create another 100 or so base items before release.

So the reason the unholy blade had no stat effect was because it was only level 1. A level 50 epic unholy blade would probably grant 30% critical chance and +20 damage. I plan to add the ability for the blacksmith to improve items for money eventually so that way it could be useful to hold onto a broken but high level item.

Thanks ... I'll fix that. By the way, if you touch the stat sheet in the inventory, it becomes larger and easier to read.

6. baldeagle86

baldeagle86 Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2013
    #566 baldeagle86, May 4, 2015
    Last edited: May 4, 2015
    I would love to test this game if you're still taking applicants!

My email is [email protected] and I can test it on 5s and iPad Air 2, just let me know which one would help you out or both :) thank you!

7. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Sure .. Both would be great. I don't have either as test devices. I'll add you tomorrow.

8. baldeagle86

baldeagle86 Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2013
    Great, thanks! Game looks awesome so far

9. LexiusCross

LexiusCross Active Member

Apr 21, 2014
    WaveLight, I would love to try the game as well, I've been lurking the forums for like every single hour since a month or so. I decided to find my account back just for this! Please make my dream come true I am begging you kind sir!
    I'm in love with such strategy games, I'm ready to give some great feedbacks

[email protected]

10. Dunan

Dunan Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2013
    Australia
    Thanks for explaining that. I suppose if there's an upgrade system then statless equipment will be ok.

Regarding all the other statless stuff though, they were actually being spawned by the shop vendor and as a rule you don't want vendor trash items to generate in a shop since no one will ever buy vendor trash items as they're meant to be sold by the player.

11. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Sure, I'll add you later today.

12. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Ideally .... you're right. The vendor shouldn't really be selling useless stuff. However, I can't think of any easy to change it since the items all sit in a very primitive database and there's no sequence to it. Without rebuilding that whole database and putting a numbering logic like the first 50 being junk items, I can't think of any way to filter out the junk items from the vendor. I'm also used to games like Fallout and Elder Scrolls where vendors do sell useless stuff just for the a sense of realism so that's why it never occurred to me to do it differently.

13. runningbird

runningbird Member

Apr 27, 2015
    Love the dark and dirty graphics style. :)

14. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    @WaveLight:
    Can you add another column to the database, for a simple flag saying "Junk yes/no"?
    I guess that doing a more thorough check - if the item does have any stats and is not cursed - before adding it to the store might be too cumbersome with your current setup?

15. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Yeah, I think it would be too risky to mess around with the code for the item database at this point. I'm not sure what changing it would do to the existing items in that database and I really don't want to risk anything that might corrupt the existing 200+ items I've loaded.

I can probably experiment and see if there's an easy way to do it but I think it should be after release. I don't really want to risk anything that might cause a delay in release.

16. Dunan

Dunan Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2013
    Australia
    Oh also not sure if this is by design but I was able to continually refresh the shop's stock just by leaving it and going back to the main menu and going back into the shop.

Just thought I'd point that out.

17. LexiusCross

LexiusCross Active Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Thanks a lot, I'll be waiting then
    Omg, can't wait!!! This looks so hype

18. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Yeah, I wasn't sure where to go with that to be honest. Right now, they just refresh whenever you visit the Shop. I could probably save the stock and then load that when you re-enter the shop. However, I'm not sure then exactly when to refresh the stock in the shop. Should it be after the completion of a level? Perhaps at the completion of a quest? Not really sure ... so I decided to just leave it. Since there's no real timescale in this game ... there's no way to say exactly how much time has passed from each visit to the shop, it's hard to justify when it should be refreshed.

19. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Added you to the external playtest group. Let me know if you don't receive an invite email.

20. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Hi guys,

Quick update. I think I have a workable solution to the inventory item slots issue. To make it clearer which items go to which slots, I've added a flashing green highlight that appears behind the slot that is applicable to a particular item. So when you pick up an item, the slot that it goes to will flash with a green highlight.

I also added some text below the left and right hands to explain what type of item can go in them. For example, a wizard will have the words "Wizard Staff" below his left hand and "Arcane Item" below his right hand slot. That Paladin will have "Hand Weapon" and "Shield" in those slots instead.

Will need some more time implementing the solution though as it's a fair bit of work and I have to do it both the game level and shop screen. Still, should be there in the next version.

Please keep the suggestions coming.