Universal Demon Hunters - Upcoming Turn-based Dungeon Crawler from Wave Light Games

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by WaveLightGames, Nov 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WaveLightGames

WaveLightGames Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Awesome feedback. Time to crank up the difficulty a bit. I'm really impressed with how you're actually using the various characters together in ways I hadn't actually considered. Great stuff. I think you're right ... the Wind Spirit is probably way too effective a buff. I'm realizing dodge skill is a really valuable statline.

2. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Very good idea. It might be possible ... I'll put that on a list of nice-to-haves and see what it would involve. Might just be a few lines of code or a tonne of work. Will have to look into it.

3. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    #663 Nullzone, May 7, 2015
    Last edited: May 7, 2015
    @WaveLight: My pleasure, nice to hear you liked it ;)
    I polished it a bit and added a few more details after you quoted. Should read better now.

Before you crank up the difficulty, please get more feedback from others.
    While I am only a mediocre to good player, I see myself as pretty solid in my results. I play strategy/tactics and roleplaying games for a long time now. A lot of experience to draw from is a comfy cushion to sit on :)

4. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Hey guys ... invites sent out for next play test version.

5. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Another point .... someone posted a workaround for the unity ios crashes I've been facing on the unity forums. I tried it in my latest version and no crashes so far. Those changes will be in the next update ... not the one that was just approved by Apple.

6. Dunan

Dunan Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2013
    Australia
    #666 Dunan, May 8, 2015
    Last edited: May 8, 2015
    Next version loaded. Item slots with the new highlight is looking very nice, helps so much with clarifying which slot something sits in. Good job there.

My Duelist, who sits in my 5th character slot has the left handed weapon description as "Left Shoulder" instead of a weapon type.

Item theft isn't working anymore in the shop and cloak slots are now working on all party members.

I'm also now running into camera problems on some maps. The camera won't move beyond a certain point on the edge of a map so when you're zoomed in it's as if the camera is still sitting up high.

Based on this I think I now know why there's problems with sensitivity. The camera is merely zooming in and out, not actually moving up and down the vertical axis. This causes variable camera panning and scrolling speeds depending on the zoom factor of the camera.

I'm going to upload some examples of the camera getting stick on the boundary of the map walls.

7. Dunan

Dunan Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2013
    Australia
    Basically the camera won't go into the tunnel to the bottom left. Same happens on the opposite end. It only runs along the boundaries of the inner square wall. Can be a little frustrating if your characters are against a wall or outside of the camera box.

IMG_0136.jpg

IMG_0137.jpg

8. Dunan

Dunan Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2013
    Australia
    #668 Dunan, May 8, 2015
    Apologies for posting so much in a short amount of time. Finding quite a few things in bursts.

Unable to see damage results when action cam is taking place leading to not knowing what has happened to the target being attacked.

Character and enemy stat sheets while in combat are too big or aligned in the wrong position, it's pushing all the text for abilities half off the screen to the right.

Something isn't adding up properly with critical hits still. I just got hit by a critical from an Ogre that has a 20% critical hit chance. My elven paladin naturally has 10% crit immunity and I had a buff from my knight that adds another 35% crit immunity.

Also what is the critical multiplier if you do land one? The Ogre hit my Paladin for 20 damage and my Paladin has armor reduction of 11 while the Ogre does 5-12 base damage. Is the damage calculation also wrong?

Combat text is easier to read though and is much better.

9. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Like Dunan, I now have serious camera problems, even worse than before:
    1) Vertical scrolling was slow before the update already. Now, horizontal scrolling goes at the same snail's pace (speed before update was ok for it).
    2) Camera is zoomed in really close and I can no longer zoom in/out.
    3) That's a screenshot of the start of my current stage. Price question: where's my party? ;) Camera focus on the pre-selected hero would be good at stage start.
    4) Only way to actually see my party is to lower the camera's view angle. But that view makes movement and aiming extremely difficult.

On the plus side:
    - Camera rotation and angle change speed is much better now.
    - The new character sheets are a huge improvement, much easier to read.

Two things about the char sheets:
    - What's that odd "phone receiver" symbol supposed to be? Some kind of bracket? I think you can just remove that, for easier readability and less clutter.
    - I miss max HP/AP on the sheet. Max AP isn't that important, but max HP is for me at least. With the coloring of the HP circle almost black at the top, it's really hard to tell if a hero is wounded unless she gets royally stomped on.

Attached Files:

10. Dunan

Dunan Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2013
    Australia
    @Nullzone
    I forgot to mention the zoom bug. What I did was went back to the title screen and changed the sensitivity one notch higher for both and zoom/unzoom was working again.

11. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    And something's wrong with my Ranger's HP.
    You can see in the above post that she shows with 14HP.
    However, she's supposed to have 18: 23 - 5 (from item) . Screenshot attached.

Attached Files:

12. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Thanks, that did the trick! I had completely forgotten about these settings.

13. Dunan

Dunan Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2013
    Australia
    #673 Dunan, May 8, 2015
    @Nullzone
    Just something to point out Nullzone, you lifted the item off the character to display its stats so it's not applying the bonus/detrimental effects.

Oh and while speaking of stat sheets. While in combat the stat sheets are either too big or misaligned if you want to look at the ability descriptions through it, it'll run off page.

Also I was getting inaccurate stats through the shop where # of attacks were all the value of 1 with items equipped and removing items threw it into the negative. I had to enter a map and leave to get the stats to reset.

14. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    I know. I wanted to show the item effect of -5 HP too. That's why I wrote "18: 23 - 5 (from item) HP" ;) The -5hp are applied correctly, and when I played yesterday she showed correctly with 18hp. Also, 18-5 would still be 13...
    *lightbulb* I just remembered that this happened once before the update, too. So it's not a newly introduced issue.

15. Dunan

Dunan Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2013
    Australia
    @Nullzone oh right, sorry about that. Maybe it's sort of the same problem I have when items sort of don't work even it's sitting in slots or at least reflected in strange ways on the stat sheet, if not at all.

16. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    I'm not seeing the issue in your screenshot ... her max life (HP) is 23. Since the amulet isn't equipped in your picture, it seems to be the right number.

I just discovered a bug on my side. If you use a slot and have some leveled up team members and some items (cloaks and belts) but then overwrite that saved slot with a new team, I think the stat bonuses from levels and current XP and cloaks / belts from the old team are granted to the new team. Basically, I'm not cleaning up all the old stats and bonuses in my save file and applying them to the new team. Is it possible, that is happening in your case?

17. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    There is a known bug where at the start of the gameplay / battle level, the stats showed in the stat window and HUD are not updated until you click on the character. So are you perhaps looking at the stats in the HUD and the stat sheet at the start of a battle before clicking on the character? I'm trying to fix this but it's just that the stats from items and level ups are applied after the HUD is initially displayed and trying to re-arrange that is really tricky. However, I'll take another stab at that.

18. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Can you explain exactly. I resized the stat sheets and inventory sheets to make them as large as possible on the iPhone screen. I probably screwed up the sizes for the iPads as I didn't go back and check on the iPad resolution. It looks fine on my iPhone 5. Are you testing on an iPad or iPhone? Can you take a screenshot and show me exactly where it's running off the screen?

This must be a bug on the shop screen. Can you try and replicate it and explain exactly how it comes up? I don't know exactly how to re-produce it from what you've described.

19. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Thanks for the info, guess that's it.
    I just saw the same for my Assassin and Duelist. After clicking around a bit, their HP displayed correctly.

Can you force a "HUD refresh" after all the stats are calculated? Not sure how to explain it any better, sorry. Example: in the software my company makes, we have a command to force-reload a screen, and thus refresh everything displayed (screen elements like buttons, and data shown) .

20. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    When you say this shows up in the battle screen ... is this right at the beginning of the battle before you have clicked on the character? As I mentioned, there's a bug where the initial HUD stats (life / AP / Attacks) don't reflect the bonuses from level ups and item stat changes until you actually click on a character.