Universal Demon Hunters - Upcoming Turn-based Dungeon Crawler from Wave Light Games

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by WaveLightGames, Nov 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DezTheSpic

DezTheSpic Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2014
    Was this released? Can't find it on the App Store in the UK

2. WaveLightGames

WaveLightGames Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Sorry for the confusion. Release date is august 20th. Just waiting for Apple to finish their approval.

3. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Whoops ... just realized that I had typed launching tonight when I meant to type that we were submitting tonight. Sorry about that, gents ... unfortunate typo. :eek:

4. DezTheSpic

Sep 12, 2014
    Nice one, looking forward to playing it

5. Cerxop65

Cerxop65 Well-Known Member

May 16, 2015
    Nice name

6. DezTheSpic

Sep 12, 2014
    Thanks

7. nezuja

nezuja Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2014
    Just stumbled on this game and am pleasantly surprised! Any form of multiplayer/pvp/world chat?

8. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Hey there ... sorry, I didn't see your post earlier. I'm afraid this game is single player only. We may add a hot seat mode where players could play pre-designed battles on the same device but other than that, there's no plans for multi player.

9. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Hey guys, just want to give a quick update. We are still waiting for Apple to complete their review process. Hopefully all goes well.

While we wait, I'm hard at work on the first content update which will include the Dwarf Dragon Hunter class and 5 new quest levels that will feature the undead heavily. We decided to do the work now so that we'll have it ready as soon as possible after release.

Also, we've updated our web site so take a look and let me know what you think:

http://www.wavelightgames.com/demon-s-rise.html

There's a nice game overview, some cool screen shots and also some stories / articles that give some history of the ruins and Elves, in particular.

10. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Homepage looks good, well done!
    Some small things you can improve upon still (nothing major, put it on the backburner):
    1) The page name "http://www.wavelightgames.com/shadow-elf-witches.html" is a bit odd. Should be "elves-history.html" or something like that.

2) That one and the Ruins of Agnor page miss a back button.

3) Pages like the Ruins of Agnor show with a scrollbar on the side, because you have the copyright notice at the very bottom. Usually this indicates more content further down. Looks like something's not right with the page dimensions.

4) Your logo in the topleft corner doesn't function as a home button.
    CORRECTION: The logo does work as "about us" button. But only where there is no text.

5) Font: Should be more consistent. The font you use for the in-screenshot headlines (see screenshot "Strategic RPG" looks pretty good. The one you use for the page headlines and the captions ... well, not so much ;) (see screenshot "History of the Elves") . I'd change that to use the "RPG" font for all of those.

6) And also use the "RPG" font for your logo. That standard Arial-like font looks terrible on a logo, like you slapped it on as an afterthought.

Attached Files:

11. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    @Nullzone: Thanks for the tips. I'll work on updates over the next few days.

Not sure if you guys caught it but Carter Dotson did a Mobsmash of the game and played it for over an hour yesterday! I was able to dial in via Skype and answer some questions as well. Unfortunately, my crappy Canadian internet caused my voice to get distorted at points in the stream but overall, it's still fun to watch.

https://www.mobcrush.com/TouchArcade/v/55ca4807d6a562cfa44127b8

Hope you guys like it.

12. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Watching a real gamer play the game was really insightful. I'm realizing that I really need to make the game's learning curve easier to get into with some better tutorials or better visual feedback cue's to the player.

13. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    You're always welcome!
    I only had time to watch him doing the first stage, and skim over the rest.
    Very interesting to see someone with a different playstyle give it a go.
    And you increased the gold rewards you can pickup, nice ;)

Learning curve:
    You'll always have that with complex strategy / tactics games, no way around it. Just compare the rules for TicTacToe and, say, Settlers of Catan ;)
    Tutorial / helpfiles will definitely make it easier, though.
    On the other hand, you aren't using any outlandish mechanics (except the complex - and awesome - Morale system) or UI; so for people who played similar games before I think it's easy enough to pickup and play. And I don't expect this kind of game to attract many non-genre players anyways, just comes with the package.
    But definitely add a tutorial and some helpfiles, whether ingame or on your homepage.

Marketing reminder:
    Once you launched, and have a thread in the released games section, don't forget to include a link to and mention of the videocast.

14. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Wonder if you can incorporate some of the random/patrol stages into that (Wyvern Hunt comes to mind). Even having 10 instead of 5 initial stages would catapult it from "miniquest" to "small campaign" right off the bat.

15. Dongmaster

Dongmaster Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Gold, dungeons, turned based...

All a grown up man needs! Looks sweet. :)

16. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    How do you mean exactly? When adding the next 5 quest levels, I'll also create some new patrol levels that coincide with the story progression created by quest level. So the update will include 1 new character class, 5 quest levels and 5 - 8 new patrol levels.

17. Grifman

Grifman Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    #1197 Grifman, Aug 12, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2015
    This is nitpicking but this is a "tactical" RPG. Controlling individual units is all about tactics not strategy. Tactics deal with actions on the battlefield, while strategy deals with managing an overall campaign or war. It just irritates me when these are used incorrectly :)

18. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Ah ... that's a very good point. Thanks for pointing that out. I'll try and update the web site as much as possible.

19. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Points to you ;) same as you, I am a stickler for using the two correctly. Completely missed it this time.

20. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    What I meant was:
    Instead of adding another 5-8 new patrol stages, add those to the quest stages. Wrap some story around them, and you have a longer campaign.

If I remember right, the patrol stages are still chosen randomly? Or do you have a stage selector already, and I just missed it?