Universal Demon Hunters - Upcoming Turn-based Dungeon Crawler from Wave Light Games

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by WaveLightGames, Nov 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drmad

drmad Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2013
    Indonesia
    it's just like you said :)
    i played Xcom to the death LOL

go for quality dont rush it :)

2. WaveLightGames

WaveLightGames Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Those are good points ... I suspect that the game would probably benefit from more playtesting, refinement and perhaps more time for PR before release. That would probably be better than a Christmas release. I truly have no idea but I'm willing to try either way. If I do miss the Dec submission deadline, then I'll have several more weeks to develop the game so I can probably complete chapter 1 and 2 before release if I submit it instead in early January.

3. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Hey guys, quick update ... worked on magic items, bug fixing and getting the Elf Paladin ready. I will have the first playtest version up this Wednesday. Most likely I'll upload it and send out links late Wednesday night.

Working on a video preview of the Elf Paladin now. Hopefully it'll be uploaded to Youtube and on my Twitter feed tonight some time. Actually ... I just remembered that the hotel I'm staying at has crappy internet. I may just leave it to upload overnight and post links in the morning. No idea how long the upload will take.

4. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    By the way, I'm at 120 base magic items .... I think I'll probably hit around 200 for the first release. It's super easy to make and I think having lots of variety in loot will add to the replay value of the game. :)

5. drmad

drmad Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2013
    Indonesia
    wow it sounds awesome :eek:

6. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    thanks ... I also just found a way to get the audio effects a lot tighter. So now whenever there's an explosion effect due to some special ability or spell, the corresponding sound of the explosion triggers at the same time as the explosion. Earlier, I had it set in two different places and sometimes the effect and sound would be off by a second or so. So got that fixed. :)

Otherwise, I got the Elf Paladin's abilities and sound effects / voices done. I made the preview video and am just uploading to youtube now. That might take a while though as the Hotel internet is really slow.

A few more critical bug fixes and then I'm going to do as much polishing as I can before I upload for playtesting on Wednesday.

7. BattleQuest

BattleQuest New Member

Looks amazing!

8. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    #168 WaveLightGames, Dec 8, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2014
    Thanks!

Here is the character preview for the High Elf Paladin character class. He's kind of like a spell-sword. Both a melee fighter and a mage. However, his magic abilities are limited to melee-oriented magic. He wears full plate mail so can take a hammering in melee. He has three melee abilities and 3 spells. His spells have a higher failure chance than most other wizards as he isn't a fully-focused wizard. While he may seem like a half fighter / half mage, he's actually more of a pure fighter that uses limited magic to make his melee powers even more deadly. His only down sides are that his abilities are purely focused on himself ... he doesn't buff others or debuff enemy. He's also not super-tough for a melee fighter since he's an elf and they tend to have fewer hit points. Since he's in heavy armour, his dodge chance is actually low for an elf character but the plate armour and shield do protect him when hit.

[​IMG]DemonHunters 2014-12-07 23-47-18-43 by raj_dhillon, on Flickr

[​IMG]DemonHunters 2014-12-07 23-47-29-99 by raj_dhillon, on Flickr

He has a mix of melee abilities and magical ones. The melee abilities are include a 5 hit combo, a jumping sweep attack and a shield bash. The magical abilities are a self-buffing shield spell, a large cone-shaped damage spell and a direct line damage spell.

Here's a video preview showing his various abilities. I've also got the voice and sound effects done for him and his abilities:

Let me know what you think of him. Next character preview will most likely be the Half Giant.

9. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Hey guys,

Here's a variation colour scheme I could use for the Elf Paladin. It's basically full gold plate mail with red shoulders rather than blue steel with gold trim. I think I prefer the blue steel / gold trim but would like your collective thoughts as well.

[​IMG]Elf Paladin by raj_dhillon, on Flickr

10. ramzarules

ramzarules Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    You've been hard at work the weekend!

Music:great
    Paladin voice: good
    Paladin moves and abilities: all great, except the straight line magic attack, i found the "jump and shoot" a bit odd, maybe change it to just raising the blade like the cone attack?
    I especially liked the jumping sweep though!

For his model, the second gold-red versions seems much more detailed to me, so i would go with that. Only thing is, to me he doesn't look elf-ish at all. More like a human spellblade, which is a good thing!

11. drmad

drmad Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2013
    Indonesia
    I like the blue steel color (the first one)
    but it is true the 2nd one look more detailed
    may be you should go with the 2nd one

the music and voice is very good :D

whoaaaa you've been very busy i presume
    "caffeine buffed" eh? LOL :p

12. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Yep ... coffee and I are pretty good friends lately.

Thanks for the feedback, guys ... invaluable.

I'll change the animation for the line magic spell. I agree the jumping sword strike doesn't really work. I also kind of agree that he doesn't really look much like an elf. However, I need to have at least one male elf character in the roster. Also, Elves in my background are more like Tolkien elves and not smaller like DnD Elves so if you were to put one in full plate armour and a visored helm, he would basically look like a tall human.

For the character, I should warn that the screen shot I posted is from the PC build. The iOS build will be identical except that the texture files will be heavily compressed for performance reasons. It's not noticeable 95% of the time but would make a difference when zooming fully into some of the characters. The iOS version won't have the super detailed armour patterns on either the gold or blue steel version. Unfortunately, if I don't compress the textures, the download size is absolutely massive and the game would likely crash on even the newest iPhones as they still only have 1GB of RAM. But I should point that on a smaller phone or tablet screen, the difference is barely noticeable. The reason that I have the software building the PC version is so I can do a build and then run screen recording software to record the video for the character previews. I'll be switching back to iOS build soon.

13. ramzarules

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    hmm, then if its easy and possible, to make him a bit slimmer, and let the pointy ears and hair out of the helm.. OR give him a slimmer armor and a fancy helm with that ponytail on top! (if any of those 2 are easy to do in the time frame) :)

14. xcube

xcube Member

Nov 24, 2014
    It's scary to think how much work must be done to implement such a game.

15. rjm226

rjm226 Active Member

Dec 3, 2014
    Hey are you still accepting beta testers? I would love to play and send you feedback.

16. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Yep ... still accepting. Cut off is this Wednesday.

17. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    I'll play around with the proportions. Could also replace the helm with a more elven helm.

18. ramzarules

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    if awesomium was a real nutrient, you'd be full of it! :D

19. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Thanks ... though I tried those changes and the helmet didn't work out. I did make the elf slightly taller and slimmer but the effect is not that noticeable.

I worked today on another character. The High Elf Storm Seer, who is a lightning / wind mage. She can also see portents into the future in the winds and has slight ability to see the future. Just testing her out now. I'll probably do some more bug fixing after that and then make her video tomorrow.

20. luckystrikeguy

luckystrikeguy Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2013
    Just stumbled upon this thread and anything that represents wq or xcom Is right up my ally. Looks great so far. When do you plan on releasing this? If you still need a beta tester sign me up !