Deputy Dog Games is Looking for.... Take 2

Discussion in 'Developer Services and Trade' started by hardcoregamer, Dec 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hardcoregamer

hardcoregamer Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2009
    Making iPhone games
    touchArcade
    Before I start, let me just say that the last thread contained many posts containing profanity and sexual talk that I would not like to see on here. I wanted to keep the last thread open for one reason and one reason only. I wanted to see it reach 10,000 views, which it has. That’s why it finally closed. Now, this thread is for the game Santa’s Smackdown. It’s a brand new game exclusive to the iPhone/iPod Touch. It’s a dual-stick sidescroller, a first of its kind. In the game, you play as Santa, smashing and bashing your way through the world. You can visit the desert, the North Pole, to space and beyond! This thread is for discussion about that game. I would have made an official thread, but I won’t do that until we have some screens and a gameplay video to show you guys. Once that happens, this thread will close. You can suggest features, enemies, levels, weapons, etc. If it’s too generic like elves, don’t bother posting. But on the other hand, if you suggest something like marshmallow sniper rifle, we’ll take you more seriously. Marshmallow sniper rifle…… hmm….. And please guys and gals, let me just stress again, NO PROFANITY OR ANYTHING OR THE SORT. I’m not saying that I wasn’t at fault either. I think we all just fell into the same bottomless black hole, and the only way to escape was to start over. So if you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say anything at all. If you say something mean, you will just be ignored, so don’t bother. Cuestaluis, Shard, Will, and I are all on the team. We know how things work. We know why this game will work, be submitted, and be published for the public to enjoy. If you have any questions, tips, suggestions, would like to join the team, etc. feel free to post them here. I’m new to making iPhone games and would love to hear everyone’s KIND and CONSTRUCTIVE criticism. Constructive criticism doesn’t have insults in it by the way. Anyway, have fun and post away!

2. mobile1up

mobile1up Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2008
    Technical Director
    Munich, Germany
    this forum is for developer services and trade - not for discussing your own game development. i would suggest you setup your own discussion board; where you can moderate the people/comments you are not hoping to receive rather than using up TA's bandwidth and data services. its like you haven't learnt anything from the previous thread - i suggest all people starting to read this thread at least read the last few pages of the previous one.

PS: you'll only get 10,000+ views when you start picking fights and causing problems.

3. Mr. Crazy

Mr. Crazy Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2009
    England
    Is it going to be 3D and are you still looking for new people to join and is it still going to be free?

4. RankoSao

RankoSao Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2009
    College Student
    State of Hysteria
    *facepalm*

*headdesk*

*rinse, repeat*

Uh, lets see, Zombieville, Inkvaders, etc, etc, this isnt even the first Santa-themed one.. you have to know this...

5. da shiz wiz 19

da shiz wiz 19 Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    Hey lets just leave him alone. He'll learn in time.

6. DGH94

DGH94 Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2009
    Next to the Maiden
    The other thread was FULL of constructive criticism, and you took them as INSULTS!!! You wouldn't know constructive criticism if it bit(h slapped you in the face!

7. S.I.D. CrAzY

S.I.D. CrAzY Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    lol, nice.

8. mobile1up

Nov 6, 2008
    Technical Director
    Munich, Germany
    are you super religious our something?

last time i said "laid" and you took it nastily (yet, were proud to announce how you were already having sex with your gf). i'm australian born; profanity is part the language - as we used as say as kids; "bloody in the bible, bloody in the book... ...."

http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080225071428AARjdo2

debatable. i dont like seeing works like f*** or s*** ; but with some of the responses you gave last time in the thread you asked for them.. it wasn't me saying those things either :)

have you registered your own domain? why not just get a $20 a month web hosting service; then you can drive traffic there and show screen shots, videos, discussion boards etc. this isn't a "hang-out" for you guys; some of us are doing using this forum for offering services to other developers..

why can you not respect the desire of the forums?

9. hardcoregamer

Sep 20, 2009
    Making iPhone games
    touchArcade
    Why do you have to add that last part?

10. hardcoregamer

Sep 20, 2009
    Making iPhone games
    touchArcade
    We are still hiring, no it won't be 3d for the most part.

11. RankoSao

Nov 7, 2009
    College Student
    State of Hysteria
    Because its true?

12. RankoSao

Nov 7, 2009
    College Student
    State of Hysteria
    Your still hiring? what for?

13. New England Gamer

New England Gamer Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2009
    You have a Santa's Smackdown Staff group, why don't you go and talk there and not waste the forum area? That would be the mature thing to do rather than inciting people who are not on your staff. I hardly think after the way you treated people in the last thread people will want to give you advice here now. You don't take the advice anyway - I tried to tell you not to be rude and thank people for advice but you didn't listen. Again I say a cliche - don't air your dirty laundry in public - keep you arguments to your group and within your staff and then announce the game when/if the time comes.

The rate you are going, you are not winning any of us consumers over so you should quit while you are ahead. Do you realize what a bad reputation you are getting? Probably not. I am sure more than half the people here will look at ANY game you publish and say oh its that hardcore guy, forget it, not even worth free.

You are dragging down not only yourself but the whole forum. You are getting other devs upset at the space you waste on the threads and its those devs that we the consumer come to TA to interact with.

Do yourself, and mostly all of us, a favor and ask for this thread to be locked. I am sure if you came and asked a specific question maturely and were willing to listen to the answer and then went on your way then people will take you more seriously.

14. mobile1up

Nov 6, 2008
    Technical Director
    Munich, Germany
    what is the compensation package?

- salary
    - vacation benefits
    - sick leave benefits
    - insurance

or; are you looking for royalty sharing partners

- what is the percentage your willing to give?

and what type of funding / backing do you have to ensure there is enough capital in your business so that you can maintain and keep paying the employee salaries? do you have a business model so that you can recuperate the costs of business operation? what prior experience do you have in running a business?

anyone who will devote any time to a project should ask these questions.

i know these may be hard questions to answer; but, when you say your hiring; you need to be prepared to answer them - or you are going to be misleading a lot of people; and not hiring at all. i think we've already identified most of the answers to the above; but i'll give you a chance to defend your position.

15. Mathieu914

Mathieu914 Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    Student
    Canada, Québec
    Guys, why are you still posting on this thread...
    I hope you understand that you're all feeding this discussion.

You don't act better than him when you do that...

16. hardcoregamer

Sep 20, 2009
    Making iPhone games
    touchArcade
    Okay, I don't mean hiring, but I appreciate that you're commenting without being mean or giving "constructive" criticism. I meant that if you like to draw and are looking for something where you can draw and just do it for the fun or it or to be included in the credits, then we want you on the team. Now does anyone have some ideas for the game they'd like to se implemented? We're getting ready for Santa's Smackdown 0.1! So long 0.0!

17. RankoSao

Nov 7, 2009
    College Student
    State of Hysteria
    RPG elements.

18. mobile1up

Nov 6, 2008
    Technical Director
    Munich, Germany
    i wasn't around in the earlier thread very early - but are you looking at charging for these games or making them free? if your going to charge; i would expect, if i was someone to provide ideas and suggestions to get a share of the profits. just putting my name in credits wouldn't cut it. i've even contacted people here who offer free services and when they deliver; i have paid them - everyone needs to eat too.

if your looking at getting art/game ideas for free - and keeping all the profits for yourself then the people signing up are either stupid or really desperate. either way; if this is your strategy; your not having great business ethics.

19. Foozelz

Foozelz Well-Known Member

To clear everything up,
    Were a team of 14 year olds, except Luis

20. mobile1up

Nov 6, 2008
    Technical Director
    Munich, Germany
    i think - if you want to do something cool and get paid; there are options as well. i know; as an "oldie", that when your young you can be very passionate about something; and put many hours into it just for the fun of it. if you want something to do; and have some ideas; why not make it truely commercial and share the profits..

i'm questioning hardcoregamers business ethics; bring together a group of talent and then exploit them for his own personal gain? if the games will be 100% free (no ads etc); then, go for it!