iPhone Desktop Dungeons (by QCF Design)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, May 27, 2015.

1. ZS77

ZS77 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2015
    Ok, I'll crawl back in my box and eagerly await the 'compromise' update. I understand the difference between porting assets and redesigning entirely new ones for the retina display - I guess I was just hoping for more polish and visual fidelity from such an expensive app. Granted, £8 is cheaper than buying it on Steam, but I'd rather have paid the extra for iPad and had a game that fully captivated and engrossed me, rather than having that always slightly tarnished experience I have at the moment. But then that's partly a reflection on my character - grumpy old goat.....thought I should get the goat reference in in homage to the game!

/crawls back in box, covers self in shredded newspaper and peers out of the dark awaiting the update......o_o

2. badmanj

badmanj Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Software developer
    Reading, England
    I'd love to see the removal of all references to keyboard keys since this is clearly from the PC version.

Also some parts such as building description text on the top part of the right hand side section have more text than is visible and there's no way to read it all...

Lovely game but the port is just a little bit lazy unfortunately.

3. ZS77

ZS77 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2015
    /momentarily crawls out of box
    /gives thumbs up and quietly nods in agreement
    /crawls back in box again

4. Snotty128

Snotty128 Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2013
    You can. I dont know how to explain, but the text is covered by the heading of the box below it. You have to slide that out of the way to read the text. Its not immediately obvious

5. guzzla

guzzla Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 12, 2015
    I went ahead and pulled the trigger. No complaints at all so far. I don't see any problems with the graphics, I think they match the game just fine. Gameplay is awesome, if I run in to any bugs I will post, so far so good.

6. ZS77

ZS77 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2015
    Agreed, the graphics do match the gameplay......

.....unfortunately they don't match the retina display!

7. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    Well, that's your choice. If you have the PC version I understand it perfectly, but if you don't own it you're missing a whole lot.

I've unlocked a lot of things (check pic) in my playthroughs from yesterday and today, and I'm sure there's a lot more to unveil here. Well worth the $10 I spent.

In my case, this game goes in the same folder as games such as FTL or Papers Please: games which are kind of unique (at least I haven't been able to find anything similar).

Attached Files:

8. dirtschmooz

dirtschmooz Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2015
    #128 dirtschmooz, May 29, 2015
    Last edited: May 29, 2015
    thanks for responding in here. Hopefully in response to an email i sent to your info@qcf address.
    A couple tweaks and fixing the codex bug will be fine by me. Also mid level save is high on wishlist.

9. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    It took me a bit to notice this too, but once you get it, it's more or less easy. I'll try to add to your how-to with an example. Imagine 3 poker cards overlapped in a way that you see all of the first card, 1/3 of the middle card at the top of the first card, and 1/3 of the bottom card at the top of the middle card. If you want to see the middle card completely, you have to pull down the front card. In the game, the same thing happens: pull down from the bottom-most header and it will show the middle tab. If you pull down the middle header, it will show the top tab. Hope I made myself understand.

10. terrence92

terrence92 Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2013
    Bought the game, super happy!

11. dislekcia

dislekcia Member

May 3, 2011
    Game Designer
    South Africa
    #131 dislekcia, May 29, 2015
    Last edited: May 30, 2015
    Because those buttons were left in the mobile build by mistake - on Android they caused aspect ratio issues. They manually set the resolution the game thinks it's displaying at, this is fine on PC because the resolution actually changes and the number of screen pixels the game takes up is different. On a fixed-resolution device like a tablet, this internal change does nothing except force the game to use up more memory (it has to create a temporary OS-level screen buffer) and then the OS has to filter that buffer down to your actual device resolution. Essentially what happens is that the game turns off filtering at 2x (because it can just display 2 pixels for every in-game pixel) and then the OS samples that down to whatever your device resolution is. On retina screens this is exactly the same as the 1x with point filtering mode (as you've identified below).

The filter options DO actually change how the game handles upscaling what it's displaying, so those are the settings that matter anyway. Different screen sizes will have different optimal settings, depending on what you're okay with - supporting this many devices with a tiny team is taxing as hell... Unfortunately the game's assets were built at 800x600 and that doesn't divide neatly into really any screens (at the time we were deciding on graphical resolutions, 8x6 seemed to be a good fit for what iOS was going to use - at least we got the 4:3 aspect ratio right, I guess) if we could go back in time 5 years, we'd do it differently. Unfortunately we don't have another couple of years to redo all the graphics. That's our bad.

P.S. Please, nobody talk about HQ2X and related filters, those are designed for much smaller starting resolutions and they don't work with the painterly pixel art in DD. Yes, we've tried. The custom shader in the game is the best workaround we could find for close-but-not quite 1600x1200 displays.

P.P.S. Just a quick heads up: There's already an update in the pipeline (since before release). It will remove the 2x buttons and fix some issues, but it won't deal with the fixed rotation or some of the other crashes reported. We'll start working on the update for those bugs next week. We might not release the pending update and rather do 1 single one with all the fixes in it, do you think that would be a better idea?

12. dislekcia

dislekcia Member

May 3, 2011
    Game Designer
    South Africa
    Sorry. We'll deal with those. The hotkeys shouldn't be displaying in the first place, the areas that say "click" must have slipped past us in the game's 60 000 words.

Grab the panels that are blocking that text and drag them up or down to see what's obscured.

13. gmattergames

gmattergames Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2013
    Perhaps a soft-launch would have exposed these issues.

14. guzhenjie1

guzhenjie1 Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2014
    When I used the button in lower left concer which was near the avatar to do the normal attack (the green sword), I found sometimes there was is another tiny sword will show at the upper left concer of the green sword icon. I think this tiny sword might be the cursor from PC version.

15. Nergal

Nergal Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2014
    I was using the codex at the end of the "accountant" level and the game crashed/froze. Ipad 3, iOS 8.3

16. slewis7

slewis7 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    Retired!
    Houston, TX
    Despite the minor flaws of the port and the unfortunate fuzziness of the graphics, I am still really loving this. I played the free version fo DD many years ago and I remember loving it too and it is great to finally play and support the commercial version. There looks to be a mega ton of content and plenty of strategy elements to master here. The puzzle levels help quite a bit to instruct you on how to play and this gets challenging quick. My recommendation to those on the fence is to ignore the niggling problems and jump in; even at the relatively high price for an IOS app, this is a bargain.

17. Nergal

Nergal Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2014
    I've experienced the game crash and know there are some "problems" with the port. Even with that I'd buy this game again in a minute. With all the rougelikes and dungeon crawlers on iOS, you'd think you've tried it all. But I feel like this a (semi) unique experience that is more detailed and well crafted then 90% of the "rougelikes" on iOS

18. icepulse

icepulse Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Can anyone tell me; did Apple reverse their recent "refund" policy? I used it only once, about 2 mo. ago, and recall it being easy as pie.

Now, it almost seems as if the web has been wiped clean of any reference to it!

Any insights?

19. worldcitizen1919

worldcitizen1919 Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2012
    Just bought this and the orientation is upside down. I'm using iPad Air 2. Is the orientation locked? Is this a bug?

20. guzzla

guzzla Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 12, 2015
    It is orientation locked, but you can obviously turn your device around. I think some people are complaining because their case forces an orientation with the home button on the right. Dev said they are going to fix it in the second update. I never even knew that some cases created this issue, so I am not surprised that first time devs didn't either. I usually play with headphones, so I naturally use the current orientation with home button on the left. This puts the headphone jack at the top, if I flip it around the headphone cable is in my way.