iPhone Desktop Dungeons (by QCF Design)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, May 27, 2015.

1. pka4916

pka4916 Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2009
    Male
    Wisconsin
    I am trying to do those puzzles.. (Tutorial level section)
    Guess I must be missing something obvious here..

I am doing the level where you find a Teaspoon. and you need to kill the boss.
    I always get killed the 3rd hit.. I cannot find a away around it.
    Do I need to use that teaspoon? and if so, how ??
    I can get rid of it, If I drag it to the right bottom corner (the color circle) but then I have 1/100 for text(?)

2. Xexist

Xexist Well-Known Member

May 6, 2010
    Canada
    geez after the first little bit it got really hard

3. guzhenjie1

guzhenjie1 Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2014
    When the codex shows up, you can just close it by tap the cross icon at the upper right concer if it and continue to play. Then check the information in the codex after you left the dungeon.

4. PBSNellie

PBSNellie Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2013
    Southern CA

5. Snotty128

Snotty128 Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2013
    I lost maybe fifteen times before i figured out what the game wanted from me. I win plenty now, unless the rng is against me.

You need to kill monsters that are higher level than you to level up enough to kill the boss.

6. BohemianCoast

BohemianCoast Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2009
    Hey, daily quests! I did not do very well on the first one. I have owned the PC version for some time, but haven't played much because I mostly do iPad gaming now.

I have reservations about the length of time it's taken to get this to mobile (4 years!), the graphical style choices (I like the purity of the alpha tileset much better), and some obvious iPad UI failures.

But it's still an amazing and quite unique game, and very well worth the cost.

I find it odd that Sproggiswood got GOTW rather than DD; does it have depths I'm not seeing? But still, I bought them both, thereby doubling my 2015 iPad gaming spend (oh Hearthstone, what a cheapskate you have made me).

7. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    Both are fantastic games. Sproggiwood is just a different flavour of rogue-like, it emphasizes more on positioning and knowing how enemies react. Choosing between the two just comes down to personal preference.

8. pka4916

Jun 6, 2009
    Male
    Wisconsin
    I am really trying to like this game, but it's pissing me off more and more.

I won like 2 dungeons. and after that, I can't beat any dungeon.
    tried leveling up, but never get enough.
    Tried beating higher levels first, and no luck.
    Tried those puzzles, no luck..

Any hints/tips/walkthrough on how to play this game, cause now if becoming the Worst game of the Week for me.

9. Snotty128

Snotty128 Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2013
    What class are you playing? I started with the fighter, and killed all the lower level enemies and kept getting stuck because i was never strong enough for the boss.

When I started playing the wizard and thief it all started to click for me. I would spend all my mana fireballing a higher level enemy, normally reducing their hit points enough that I could finish them with combat. Then I would explore to regenerate both my health and mana and do it again. Some enemies you cant finish off easily, so I use all my health and mana on them, then explore a square or two. I regenerate faster than them as Im regenerating two stats instead of one.

10. slewis7

slewis7 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    Retired!
    Houston, TX
    pka4916: I was stuck in one level and I took a quick look at a YouTube video of that level to figure out what I was missing. You might consider doing that yourself.

Meanwhile, the inability of this game to save mid-levelcan be frustrating as I progress to more involved levels which take a bit longer. I just lost my progress 20 minutes into one level because I closed my Smart Cover while playing it.

11. PBSNellie

PBSNellie Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2013
    Southern CA
    Some tips I learned while playing the mac version were, don't wander around aimlessly, else you use up any energy you might need later. You don't have to kill all of the low level monsters to win the dungeon. And be prepared to die, a lot. Once I got that in my head, it was not so bad. Either I have gotten better or this mobile version is somewhat easier, because for some reason Im winning more often than I used to.

12. pka4916

Jun 6, 2009
    Male
    Wisconsin
    I tried playing all 4 types I have: Fighter, Thief, Mage, Healer(?)
    In the beginning, I played 2 dungeons, and then it put items on my map.

I can go to a map where I can play dungeons.
    Or in my main town, I can Hit Adventure, but when I select the item that I want to use (Sword, shield, and 1 other item), then the button stays greyed out to play (BUG ??)
    I hit the dice, then the button becomes available, and then I can change the class again, and I am able to enter a dungeon. (not the ones on the other map).

doing this for 3 days.. and it's becoming a frustrating game.

13. Luciano1084

Luciano1084 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2014
    Yeah wandering around seamlessly is not a good idea.. I usually leave the hidden dungeon towards the end so I could regenerate.. What's worked for me is finding enemies that are a rank higher than me but that I'm strong against.. Ala priest vs zombies.. This way I level up pretty fast.. Still learning how to effectively use spells.. Every single move has to be calculated.. Tough little game but really enjoying it..

14. Xexist

Xexist Well-Known Member

May 6, 2010
    Canada
    You and I are in the same boat lol.

15. FateRiddle

FateRiddle Well-Known Member

Jun 3, 2014
    The game is frustratingly difficult till I find my first god Taurog, but then, even I wasn't really looking, new gods added to my list, I recently have 3, and the game is frustrating again, whenever I tried fighter builds, Mystera Annur is my god there, then I switch for mage style, it's Taurog then... Damn.

16. vivafringe

vivafringe Well-Known Member

May 10, 2014
    - This game is mostly about farming XP efficiently. You want to fight the final boss at level 9 or 10, and hopefully have all of your potions.
    - As other people have mentioned, fight guys that are +1 level above you. This gives you an XP boost which lets you get to level 9 or 10.
    - Don't just kill level 1 guys. They have various uses that all are better than +1 XP.
    - Petrify is very strong. At level 5, you start getting +3 XP from petrifying (remember you can petrify most plants too!). If you get petrify or Earthmother (which gives Petrify for free) early, it should be a cornerstone of your strategy for the map.
    - The spell that summons a dizzy monster is also very strong. For one thing, it lets you explore more efficiently (it's good to always be healing whenever you explore, if possible). But a more significant factor is that you guessed it) dizzy monsters give a +1 XP bonus. Spam it as much as possible and eventually you'll run out of targets that are your level and start taking lower level stuff. You basically want every single level 1 monster to be dizzy. That way you can kill them for double (!!) XP. The spell that swaps places with a monster can also be used for this, although obviously it's less effective because the mana cost is prohibitively high. You *still* shouldn't kill the dizzy monsters though, because you want to *also* get XP bonuses from as many monsters that are higher level than you as possible. So just leave them lying around on the map as long as you can - eventually you'll run out of stuff to kill and/or will really need a level up, and that's when it's time to pop them.
    - If you are having trouble with the game, there is an OP item that unlocks when you complete the Silver Thief challenge. It awards +2 XP for killing a monster that's exactly your level, and... yeah, it's insane and totally changes the game.

There's a lot of other stuff (managing Gods is a whole different bag of cats), but those tips will hopefully at least let you start beating the easier dungeons. :)

17. Xexist

Xexist Well-Known Member

May 6, 2010
    Canada
    Thanks, I bet this will help a lot :)

18. NickyNichols

NickyNichols Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2012
    Not sure if this is an error on not, but if you purchase the iPad game and set up your cloud save you can also play the game on pc through the browser, just by logging in. I'm really excited to have this on both platforms, I hope they don't change it.

19. Xexist

Xexist Well-Known Member

May 6, 2010
    Canada
    Ok well I did save the halfling finally using a lot of advice from this. basically using the petrify skill a lot got me to level 9 I think? it was just barely enough, but it was enough :)

20. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    It's not an error. You can play with your savegame through all the available platforms: PC, Android, iOS and web browser.

One quick question: can you change the name of your kingdom? If so, how? I can't find it anywhere.