iPhone Eclipse 4X space strategy (by Big Daddy's Creations)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by BigDaddysCreations, Apr 30, 2013.

1. abstractgamefreak

abstractgamefreak Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2009
    Male
    Musician
    Germany
    I've had some three and four player games online, where one player resigned during the game. It would be great for an update, if then the AI could take over his part than have that player pass all the time, as it is now.

2. BigDaddysCreations

BigDaddysCreations Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2010
    Software Developer
    Poland
    This would be a cool feature and it's on our list of things to do, but this is also quite a complicated thing to implement, requiring a lot of testing, so it may be something which won't make it to the next update.

3. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    The lack of any representation of what happens on opponent turns in async games is beginning to really irritate me. You are not even shown how battles were resolved. Just as annoying is the fact that you cannot interact with any menu or drawer during an opponent's turn, stopping you from strategizing on opponents' turns.

4. heringer

heringer Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2011
    Anyone?

5. Jools75

Jools75 Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2010
    Secret Agent :-)
    Italy
    Performance

On my ipad2, game plays very smoothly and everything seem fine to me.

6. Pedroapan

Pedroapan Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2010
    Not for me. It works but framerate is quite lousy.

7. CoreyB

CoreyB Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2011
    Aircraft Mechanic
    Chicago, IL
    Has anyone else noticed this game burns through the battery on their ipad faster than usual? The game is totally worth it, but I just wonder if anyone else has seen that on their device and if it (assuming other people are experiencing this) is something that can be fixed in an update?

8. Uberskooper

Uberskooper Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2012
    With regard to the game's performance, I posted the following on the developer's website:

I haven't gotten a reply yet and my comment is still awaiting moderator approval as of last Friday.

I sympathize with the developer, but the fact seems to be that the game runs poorly for some folks. It also drains the battery quickly for me as well. I think there might be some issues with how the game is optimized, but like I said above I'm not a game developer. All I know is that while this game is fun it runs poorly on my device, which really hampers my overall experience.

9. Jambo

Jambo Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2012
    I've been getting crashes as Planta when I'm trying to explore...

10. BigDaddysCreations

Jul 8, 2010
    Software Developer
    Poland
    #230 BigDaddysCreations, May 5, 2013
    Last edited: May 5, 2013
    Known bug, will be fixed, is on the list.

11. BigDaddysCreations

Jul 8, 2010
    Software Developer
    Poland
    Sorry, I haven't seen you post earlier.

I've watched the videos, to me races menu works slowly and the moment when you make all panels slide in. But other than that - personally I don't see a huge problem there. I think it's a very subjective thing, when one person feels something's not right, the other doesn't see the problem. Game does not run at 60 FPS and sometimes drops below 30, but there's not much we can do with the performance - there's just many high res images being displayed.

12. Uberskooper

Uberskooper Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2012
    I agree it is somewhat subjective. I guess for me the game feels very slow compared to what I'm used to for what I think are similar games (e.g., Starbase Orion). Would it be possible to create a lower res version for some things that can be toggled in the menu?

13. BigDaddysCreations

Jul 8, 2010
    Software Developer
    Poland
    I don't think other players would want to use low res images. We'll try to have a closer look at the sliding panels, maybe it's a simple bug we overlooked.

14. Plynx

Plynx Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2011
    #234 Plynx, May 6, 2013
    Last edited: May 6, 2013
    In some games and not others, the frame rate drops dramatically and it even slows the response of the multitasking tray, making the anmation of swiping these icons very choppy. This is the probably game spinning the CPU out of control, a zombie AI thread never terminated or background infinite loop, or the game doing I/O thrashing. The game also drains the battery at the maximum rate, even if I'm just letting the game sit there. It's also normal for me not to be able to "swipe to pass" (brilliant idea imo) without holding down on the start of it, waiting for the game to pick up the fact that I'm holding it down. Just swiping from there won't generally register. I also noticed that while running this game the ipad will not auto-off.

Edit: upon watching for issues in the game very carefully, it's not technically the frame rate but rather, a frequent short stutter where the game and everything else on the ipad stops responding (happens only in this game, when the map is up).

15. TheOctagonTheory

TheOctagonTheory Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2011
    semi-retired
    Tokyo, Japan
    #235 TheOctagonTheory, May 6, 2013
    Last edited: May 6, 2013
    I don't think this game may be suited to online multiplayer. It takes way too long. Last night I joined a 3-player 'quick' game. About halfway the players started slowing down...leaving the game, coming back in, being away for a long time. Here it is the next day and the game still isn't finished. If one person doesn't take his turn the game stalls. If you want to play you had better make sure that the other players agree with time limits and stick to them. But there is still no way to recover if a player stops halfway through a game.

16. TheOctagonTheory

TheOctagonTheory Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2011
    semi-retired
    Tokyo, Japan
    I have a question about dice rolls during combat phase. If a 6 is a sure hit and a 1 is a sure miss, what does rolling a 2,3,4, or 5 do?

17. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    You can add modifiers to your dice via computers (add) and shields (subtract), you need to reach a 6 or more to score a hit. However, even with shields a natural 6 is always a hit. And even with a +6 modifier a 1 is always a miss.

18. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

My experience has found one thing.

BUY THE MODIFIERS. BUY THEM EARLY.

It's not clear early when learning the game how to get the modifiers. Look for the -X and +X (where X is 1, 2, 3) when you are researching. They truly make all the difference in the world. You can go against a ship with the best weapons in the games and if you've got a good shield and attack modifier, you are far more likely to win.

I've had a chance to put a few more games in and I've discovered a few things.

First, I suck. So bad. And I have crap luck. I tend to get kicked in the groin in the beginning and get stick with 2 ships or minuscule crap in the sector.

Second, I. Love. This. GAME. I've played my share of board games on the iPad, but there is something here that makes me giddy happy. I want to do nothing but play. I can barely win, my last victory against the PEACEFUL AI was by a single point. But hey, it was a victory and I literally shouted when the march was over. My wife was not impressed as she was asleep.

I wish I could play more, and I wish I could get more live games going. That said, any times after 10:30pm PST most days or during the day (between 9am and 2pm PST) and I'd love to Skype while we play since typing is a real struggle for me.

Excellent game, this is BDC's magnum opus. If you guys can top this, the App Store might just explode.

10/5.

Please people are me. And if you're skilled, please let me win a bit ;). And/or explain what the crap I am doing wrong.

19. FreshCuppa

FreshCuppa Member

Feb 28, 2013
    Thanks a bunch, this app is just hands down brilliant. Maybe even my favourite iPad game app ever across all genres... and there are a lot. #

The in-game tutorial is extremely helpful. Never played this game before, but this plus a couple of rounds with basic terrans and I had a solid grasp of all rules and strategies. Orion and Hydran are my favourites so far.

20. worldcitizen1919

worldcitizen1919 Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2012
    How? I just bought this and I'm confused. I added AI players and the AI just plays against itself. I want to play against the AI is it possible? I'm new to this so bear with me. It looks very good and I'm keen to get started.

Would appreciate help.