iPhone Eclipse 4X space strategy (by Big Daddy's Creations)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by BigDaddysCreations, Apr 30, 2013.

1. loowees07

loowees07 Member

Feb 10, 2010
    How long does one game usually take?

2. BigDaddysCreations

BigDaddysCreations Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2010
    Software Developer
    Poland
    2 player game vs AI takes about 30 minutes. 6 player game against 5 AIs takes about 1,5 hour.

3. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

DO IT. SERIOUSLY.

I don't usually rave about games. But this game is the absolute best game EVER. Winning last night made me so happy, everything about the game is awesome. I'm still terrible at it but I don't give a crap.

Seriously BDC, I love you for making this game. So very much. Truly a pony would be in order, your choice. I'll even throw in an alpaca and a Ferrari for cross platform android play.

And HOLY CRAP... Would you EVER consider adding co op rules??!?!? That would be epically awesome. So awesome. I can't imagine how fun that would be.

Ugh. I'm shutting up now, I need to play another game. I may be extra partial to 1V1 play, but... Maybe it's time for a 3P game ;)

4. PapaT

PapaT Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2011
    UK
    Agreed - best board game conversion ever! I am also terrible at it - just had a tied score but lost on resources. Still trying for my first win, but enjoying every minute.

5. Plynx

Plynx Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2011
    I tried that, but that didn't work either. I played a couple of games on turn 2 with many exploration tiles left but still crashed. Possible other reasons might be, in one case I didn't have open influence to a place to explore on my second exploration, and in another I did, but only through the hex I had just explored on my first action. In both games it crashed unrecoverably. Hope this helps!

6. Jambo

Jambo Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2012
    Ditto.

7. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    Query: any tips for newbies?

8. rcxdeez

rcxdeez Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2013
    buffalo, ny
    Play and play and play.
    Notice recurring AI trends - they tend to have pretty decent strategies.

9. Farmer Harv

Farmer Harv Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2009
    Please don't.

10. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    I would recommend playing a real-time online game with a friend who is willing to teach you strategy via chat.

11. TheOctagonTheory

TheOctagonTheory Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2011
    semi-retired
    Tokyo, Japan
    Why does this game ask me twice for every decision I make. It asks do you want to change influence? I keep or change influence, then it comes back and asks the same thing again, and if I don't tap the checkbox, it doesn't keep my selection. This happens with other decisions too. Very irritating.

12. Plynx

Plynx Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2011
    Checkbox is like OK. The ">" basically means "Cancel" or "Undo". It confused me at first too, but it's handy.

13. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    The checkbox is the confirmation that you are happy with your selections. If you don't tap it then your selection won't be saved.

The arrow is essentially "skip" or "select nothing" so for actions like putting colony ships down after expanding a sector (which is not essential) you can skip them. For essential actions like changing influence the game needs a ressponse and is asking you to chose a or b, but you're hitting "I choose nothing" which isn't an acceptable answer so you are give the prompt again.

The reason it's not greyed out like the checkmark before you select is cause you can use the arrow to skip passed the prompt and use your Undo action to restart your turn.

14. gamecoder

gamecoder Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2012
    Male
    USA
    During a game why is my VP a range? It was like 21-41 and the game ended and I had a 37. I had 4 3-vp reputation tokens, so no ranges there (can you even get ranged rep tokens?) thanks

15. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator

Jul 19, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    It's been explained a few times already.

When you finish a battle you get a random VP token which is valued 1-4 and more depending on shps you destroyed, etc.

Each of those VP tokens go on your diplomacy bar. Once it's full you can replace a VP token with a new one of a higher value if you earn one later (The game does this for you automatically)

The range is your minimum VP assuming all those tokens were ones and the max is if they were 4's (4VPx5 spaces = 20VP range)

The range might be lower because there are only so many 4's to find.

16. Plynx

Plynx Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2011
    I think the question is, we know our *own* exact VP so why can't we see it?

17. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator

Jul 19, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    Hmm, possibly due to UI consistency? It might have to do with coding it to show every player their real score while every one else sees the range.

If the game showed your exact count then it could easily be seen by local players. It's much more useful to know the range that the players see and not worry about tipping your hand. I've been able to trick opponents by keeping my min score relatively low so they thought I wasn't a threat. In round 9 I snuck into some high value sectors and stoe the game.

If you want to know your exact score you can open the diplomacy tray and add those numbers. Since the minimum score assumes those tiles are all one's you just minus one from each tile and that new number to your min score. That will be your actual score and means you can do the simple math in your head so you aren't counting individual sectors.

18. Plynx

Plynx Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2011
    That's something I hadn't thought of. In that case, since presumably you wouldn't want to open the reputation track when others were watching (or let them see your battle results come to think of it), the real VP you have could be put inside the diplomacy slider for display on your turn.

19. CoreyB

CoreyB Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2011
    Aircraft Mechanic
    Chicago, IL
    Other then this the game is running great. Every time I open the app is starts to load and about 1 second after title screen shows is crashes to desktop. The second time I open the apps it starts normally. Without fail this happens every time, anyone else seeing this?

20. JammaTal

JammaTal Active Member

Jul 12, 2011
    Germany
    exactly the same for me, Corey :\