iPhone Eclipse 4X space strategy (by Big Daddy's Creations)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by BigDaddysCreations, Apr 30, 2013.

1. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    I posted that I tried to accept and the game crashed. I don't have an invite from you.

2. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator

Jul 19, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    Currently you can't. The devs are working on a game log of some kind so until that's implemented you'll just need to look at the board or ask them in chat.

3. FutureMan

FutureMan Active Member

Jan 7, 2013
    Chicago
    Been spending some time with this game and while it is great, the updates for online play can't come soon enough. As it is the game will drag considerably longer than it needs to. So much that I just can't even commit to online play anymore, and I'm talking about live games with everyone present. A three person game could be three hours or more.

Maybe they could push the first major update out real quick, (so you could see the board while it's the other players turn) and then take their time on the others, so that they don't lose too much of the online community. Just a thought.

4. Aventador

Aventador Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2013
    Student
    Croatia
    Won my first game versus peaceful AI wohoo :)
    Actually it was a tie, but I had more resources than him and was that why I won?
    On last turn I foolishly engaged into battle with other terrain AI and he build additional ships and station on that tile, I did manage to destroy his station and 1 dreadnought , while he shot down my 2 upgraded dreadnoughts.
    Think I got fair grasp of game mechanic finally, though upgrades and research still confuses me , I try to see what AI is doing, but he always seems to do some voodoo magic there I can't figure out which makes his ships much better :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

5. gamecoder

gamecoder Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2012
    Male
    USA
    Does anyone have any good strategies when going against Hydran? I played a 1v1 against one as human. He had tons of science and upgraded his dreadnoughts with lots of missiles and computers. He ended up with like +7 from his computers. I tried buffing up with lots of shields but I was no match. Just wondering if any more veteran players had any good ideas when going against Hydran. Thanks.

6. Jambo

Jambo Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2012
    Beeline them. They're weak in the early to mid game.

7. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    The server seems to down a lot this weekend, so no turn. :(

8. Mene

Mene <b>ACCOUNT CLOSED</b>: <em>Officially</em> Quit iO

Mar 18, 2012
    This looks good but I'm rather timed as it might be too complex for me.

On a scale of 1-10 (1- very easy, 10- very complex) how hard is it to learn?

I recently picked up Le Havre but had to delete it after going through the tutorial 7-8 times and still not understanding how to play :/

9. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    The UI is quite simple, so this would be only a 4-6 for difficulty to learn to play. Being able to win, is a whole other kettle of fish...

10. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

See, I couldn't get through Le Harve, but yet after playing a good 5 times I much better understood the game.

Now Rob over at 148 seems to consider the game beyond confusing, but I don't and I am not very BG smart. I honestly think it took me longer to figure out Carcassonne.

I think you'll also find that we here would be wiling to help you out while playing the game.

11. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator

Jul 19, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    I posted this in the bug/features list on BDC's blog in regards to some people wanting new elements added to the game but it's been sitting in moderation for about a week:

Please, please, please consider making the actual score view and bankruptcy preview optional.

As a member of a serious Eclipse play group we all have paper scraps where we keep track of VP ranges and tile/VP probabilities. The fact that these are are really appreciated because they bring an advanced Eclipse tactic and seemlessly integrate it in a way that even new players can start using them. These are things that are NOT in the Eclipse board game that strengthen the overall package.

I realize some new players need help but these new indicators actually detract from the game.
    Want to know how many actions you can take before going bankrupt? Then look at the large bar in the top left labeled "money". If the action requires more money then you receive at the end of your turn... you're going bankrupt.
    Want to know your actual score? Look at your minimum score, that's your score assuming all your VP shields are 1's. So you open the Diplomacy bar and look at what the shield's actual value are and total it up and minus the number of tokens (got 4 tokens? -4, three tokens? -3, etc.). That new number plus your min score is your actual score.

Eclipse is a game about coping with lots of things at once. Resources, sector influence, colonizing, enemy position, enemy VP, potential/critcal upgrades for yourself AND enemies, your perceived VP range (shows how big of a threat you are), Ancient discoveries yet to be found, and so much more. The player that can mange all those things most effectively is the winner. You will make mistakes because you weren't paying attention and that's the nature of the game.

There is already a great indicator showing that the action you are taking is either payed for with money in storage (yellow) or exceeds the amount of money you can pay by the end of the turn (red), why do we need more than that? If a red bankrupt indicator sneaks up on you it's not because the game needs to do more, it's because you don't understand that the upkeep of the actions is directly tied with your income.

The only variable to your score are the shield tiles you draw after battle. So why do I need to have three scores given to me? The minimum score - maximum score range is FAR more important as it is far more useful to know. If a player's min score is over the middle of your score you need to start taking high VP sectors away from them.

By adding these new indicators you're not helping players but rather dumbing down the core game because some players want less to think about... which is the antitheses of the spirit of the game.

If anything you could switch the position of the resource bars. Science at the top left above the Research tray, Money in the top right above the action counter, and Materials in the middle. You could even give a glow to the Science bar when researching, Materials when building, Money when the "Your Turn" prompt appears. This will give a subtle reminder that these things are correlated but you aren't shouting out the answer either.

12. Mene

Mene <b>ACCOUNT CLOSED</b>: <em>Officially</em> Quit iO

Mar 18, 2012
    Just read the review over at 148 and tbh it's frightened me off the game.

So for now I'll skip it, if it goes on sale that might be the motivation to buy, but right now I think I'd be wasting my cash. (Because it would be too hard)

13. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

See that's what really ticks me off. Just thinking about the number of people his idiotic review turned away.

I have explained how stupid I am about these kinds of games, but after a few u figured it out and while I still suck at, but it is by and large the best board game on the App Store.

If you're willing to give it a little of your time and effort, you will get paid back in SPADES.

14. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    If you're interested in a stepping stone in terms of complexity (and don't already own it), you might want to take a look at Alien Frontiers first if you want a solid adaptation of another very good sci-fi colonisation-themed boardgame.

15. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator

Jul 19, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    I had to google it but that review was awful and the reviewer put little effort to understanding the game by reading the manual if he felt the tutorial wasn't enough.

Eclipse isn't anywhere near as hard as it's made out to be. The mechanics are simple and elegant... But because this is a digital version you're not getting the benefit of physically moving the pieces and seeing how those mechanics tie into each other. I recommend looking at the videos of the boardgame online if only to see the resource boards in action.

The hardest part of Eclipse is information overload. You'll see all these resources, techs, enemy ships, etc and you'll try to understand them all when you should just make it through a game.

16. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator

Jul 19, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    Alien Frontiers is a great game but it's a very simple worker placement game. It's like saying you should play checkers as a stepping stone to playing chess.

17. currymutton

Oct 16, 2008
    Statement: I have AF, anyway, I will see and compare these 2...

Further elaborations: I think Eclipse is less complex than Le Harve and it is imperative that one must not play it in the mindset of other 4X games like Master of Orion, Asendancy and so on...

18. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    Not really, no. It's not a 4X game, but AF has proven to serve as a very good intermediate stage for quite a few people who have found more complex games like Eclipse to be too much to handle right off the bat, so my recommendation stands for somebody like Mene who has already repeatedly tried and failed to get a handle on a popular but complex game (Le Havre, in this case).

If somebody is already aware that they're likely to be out of their depth with a game that is infamous for its byzantine rules and systems (Eclipse, Arkham Horror, etc.), telling them to skip straight to it anyway and beat their head against it until they "get it" rarely proves to be the best or most efficient course of action.

19. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator

Jul 19, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    My neck vein is bulging in geek rage from the amounts of wrong in your post.

Alien Frontiers is a starter level game. I've watched 8 year olds play AF with little instruction. You roll dice and place them in any/all aplicable spaces based on the numbers rolled and tech cards used, then activate the abilities tied to those spaces. To compare that to a game like Eclipse is absolutely like comparing Checkers to Chess. Checkers will teach you to move pieces around a checkered board but the strategy used isn't even a drop in the bucket compared to Chess.

The fact that you could lump Arkham Horror, one of the top 5 most complicated and fincky games ever made, with Eclipse, a game lauded for it's elegant game design and streamlined rules, tells me you have a loose understanding of the word "Byzantine."

At no point did I say to skip a single thing. I said to view videos of the board game in action to see the pieces in action which will help players understand how they interact. I also said to play the game to the end. The tutorial teaches you all the basics on how to finish a game which is a far cry from beating your head up against anything.

All information in Eclipse (minus a 20VP range) is public information for good reason. The entire purpose is to overload the player with information. It's up to you to figure out what information is useful to you and change your strategy accordingly.

Having read back to see the issue with Le Havre I'd have to regrettably advise against Eclipse. Le Havre and Eclipse are two of the rare games that get misslabeled as complex as opposed to deep. This is another good example of the similarities with Chess. In each of these games it's easy to understand the end goal, what is done in a turn, and how pieces work. The "complexity" is really the depth of strategy that comes from varied play. I know a lot of people that can play Chess, but few that can play at a high level.

Many people make the mistake of trying to understand every facet of a game's strategy before they start playing and that will never work with games as deep as these. The tutorial gives you all the tools to finish a game of Eclipse (assuming you scroll down which some people don't do) and the manual gives you more of the intricacies. If the game gives you all the tools to finish a game then that's what you should do! There is no better way to understand the strategies of a game this deep then to watch the AI adapt to your actions so take advantage of that.

20. currymutton

Oct 16, 2008
    Analysis: I guess that is my problem too. How to play the game and how to win it, is rather different business. I am in a game with Normal AI now and the hard part is: what should I do in this turn? Research? Explore more? Convert some resource to $$$? Or I just build a fleet to knock out that Star Defense System?