iPhone Eclipse 4X space strategy (by Big Daddy's Creations)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by BigDaddysCreations, Apr 30, 2013.

1. jpjandrade

jpjandrade New Member

Dec 7, 2012
    No, it works like this:

every time you participate in a combat you get to draw a reputation tile. For each enemy you defeat in said combat, you draw extra tiles, up to a maximum of 5 (for example, killing an interceptor nets you one extra tile while killing a Dreadnaught gets you 3 extra if I'm not mistaken).

Anyone, you draw up to five and the tiles range from 1 to 4 points, with 1 being the most common and 4 being somewhat rare. You only keep one tile, no matter how many you drew, and the game auto selects the highest for you. They are kept in the panel in the lower left part of the screen and you have a limited number of slots, so after they fill up all you can do is hope to upgrade them (so if you draw a 3 you discard a 1 and get two extra points). But your opponents do not know the value of your tiles so the game gives you a range of what your score can be.

This system has some important consequences:

- It's important to fight, even if it's against ancients, because the marginal value of your first 3/4 battles (depending on your race) is high even if you get owned.

- It's important to fight early, while the good tiles (3s and 4s) aren't taken.

- Sometimes when you fight you're helping your enemy, specially if you have sacrificial interceptors.

Hope this clears up. You always know your exact score, but your opponents can only have a range.

By the way, Eclipse is one of my favorite board games and this IMO is a very good implementation. If anyone has any questions about the game feel free to ask.

2. wildcardd

wildcardd Member

Apr 16, 2009
    Got it. That makes sense...thanks. I am strangely addicted to it, as I keep thinking about it at work and how to employ new strategies. One day I will win a game (not including the tutorial).

3. abstractgamefreak

abstractgamefreak Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2009
    Male
    Musician
    Germany
    Here's one: I sometimes do not have enough colony ships to colonize every world I theoretically could. Is there a correlation between number of influenced tiles and number of available colonization ships?

4. jpjandrade

jpjandrade New Member

Dec 7, 2012
    No, it's a fixed number, 3 for every race except Planta, that gets 4. You only get them back at the end of the round or if you use the Influence action, which allows you to get 2 ships back (so you can take an action to influence a sector, use two ships to colonize two planets and then immediately get the two ships back because of the influence action). You can use them at any time during your action and they only matter when the turn is over so it's good pratice to leave the planets uncolonized until your last action, then you can gauge what kind of planets you need.

5. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    No, under the science track you should see a small area with 3 circles (though some species have more) which represent your colonies. Each turn you are allowed to place that amount of colonies at any time by tapping on it then select where you want to place the colony. It's a finite number that refreshes every round. The point is to make sure you can't colonize everything.

If an opponent destroys colonies on a planet you control you can even use those colonies to repopulate the planet and keep control of the sector. It's just another resource you need to manage.

6. TheOctagonTheory

TheOctagonTheory Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2011
    semi-retired
    Tokyo, Japan
    It's not complex. When you use complex I get the idea it's hard to play. I've tried all the 4X iPad games and could never play them because they were complex. But this game is easy to play when compared to the others of the same type. This game is not complex. Is is deep. Please don't confuse the two.

7. Baracus

Baracus Well-Known Member

#167 Baracus, May 3, 2013
    Last edited: May 3, 2013
    I see what you mean but there is a big grey area on how you define this. I think both are right ways to describe the same thing in different contexts really.

The complexity comes from the depth if you like (of system / economy interactions, mechanics, options open to you at any given point).
    The way it's presented is really good and the GUI is perfect, I am amazed they got so much into the space so elegantly and it's very intuitive. But the game isn't intuitive for me. I often just stare at the screen and wonder what the hell to do next, or why something I want to do isn't working. And what I need to do to be in a position to DO those things. That, to me is complex gameplay ;)

In a good way though don't get me wrong. Really wanted a game exactly like this for a long time, I just need more spare time to get my head into it. Sure it will click and I'll kick myself for being an idiot :)

8. Mene

Mene <b>ACCOUNT CLOSED</b>: <em>Officially</em> Quit iO

Mar 18, 2012
    #168 Mene, May 3, 2013

9. Plynx

Plynx Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2011
    I crash and the game is unable to continue (keeps crashing on resume) if I take the last exploration tile as Planta. (Happened twice so far)

10. Pedroapan

Pedroapan Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2010
    Stuttering on ipad2

Sorry if this already have been discussed and solved but I have some serious stuttering on my ipad2. I would estimate the FPS to be around 5-10 when panning around, and everything feels quite unresponsive.

Anyone else have this problem and does anyone have a solution?

Ipad2 16 gb, latest firmware, about 800 mb free memory. Tried to delete all background-running apps and did a hard reset.

//Pedroapan

11. nuutsch

nuutsch Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2012
    I love this game.
    Great work BDC! This is my #1 game on iPad.

12. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I thought someone said that free space left on an iDevice doesn't matter as iOS does not use it for swap?

Fellow iPad 2 owner here...

13. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    On my iPad 2 the zooming in/out is not smooth either. Very stuttery. I'm hoping an update might boost the performance on the iPad 2. I suppose I should mention that I am jailbroken, so maybe that is a contributing factor?

14. Pedroapan

Pedroapan Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2010
    It seems to be quite common then. hopefully it will be addressed soon since it kind of ruin the overall experience IMO.

My ipad is not jailbroken, so I would guess that's not the problem.

//Pedroapan

15. abstractgamefreak

Aug 22, 2009
    Male
    Musician
    Germany
    800 mb seems too little IMHO, rule of thumb 10% free space that would mean 1,6 GB on your device. I had some strange events like freezes or unresponsiveness with some games when I was low on free space. WHile the startup crashes with Eclipse seem often connected with the change of orientation at that moment from portrait to landscape. But there were other inexplicable startup crashes which I could only resolve by restarting several times.

16. abstractgamefreak

Aug 22, 2009
    Male
    Musician
    Germany
    I see. This advice is most helpful, tx!

17. iPadisGreat

Dec 10, 2012
    Hey, you are the first person to report seeing such similar weird behaviour from an iPad 2 when free space drops. I had the same experience too, but googling it reveals a lot of iOS pundits proclaiming it to be impossible. Something stinks in Cupertino and it is not Steve Job's corpse...

18. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    Later I'll check to see how much space I have left, but I wouldn't have thought it would matter. I don't think iOS uses the flash storage as RAM nor as some sort of virtual memory. But I'm not an expert and don't know for sure. Still, it seems kind of unlikely to me that they'd use flash memory in that way. Wouldn't it mean an early death to limited reads/writes storage?

19. Turk

Turk Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2009
    Anybody looking for a game? My game name is Turkot. Ill start one (or join one) if people wanna give it a go. I'm not a vet of the board game so I'm pretty awful. Be gentle :)

20. iPadisGreat

Dec 10, 2012
    #180 iPadisGreat, May 3, 2013
    That is exactly the stand of most of the googleable articles on this issue. That does not explain the iPad instability once I am low on storage space though.

There are lots of stuff that are unclear about iDevices, the most recent was about whether Google Now draining battery rapidly. Some say yes, some say no.

I personally have installed apps that do drain my battery life significantly before my eyes, like 1% every minute or so, but emailing their developers claim no such problem, then after they release a few patches, the issue is quietly resolved.

Anyway, I take it that it is just a silent nudge by Cupertino to go buy iPad 4...