iPhone Fastar! (by Cat in a Box Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, Jul 29, 2010.

1. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

My point is if the enemies behave differently it doesn't make any difference if you're fighting squares of different shapes and colors or recolored sprites or recycled 3D models which have been the norm since, well, forever. I think you're missing the point of the game if you think it should have some extensive collection of unique monsters to battle.

2. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany

What is the point?

3. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

What is the point of anything?

4. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany

42??

5. Hey all, this is Henry from Cat-in-a-Box. Just wanted to chime in and thank you all for your support, I'm very much ecstatic that people love the game as much as they seem to. =)

And concerning the criticisms? They're all perfectly valid. I can completely understand those perspectives. In fact, I was actually expecting more people to be agreeing with them - Fastar! is a very strange beast, stylistically speaking. This afternoon I'll be writing a blog post on our company site about the history of Fastar's evolution, which I hope will give insight into why/how I made something so simplistically absurd (short version: Fastar! is an inside joke that no one will get).

But yes, I entirely expect Fastar! is not everyone's cup of tea. It's a very strange cup of tea, one made with ketchup and pickle water and sprinkles which I personally find tasty and hope brings a smile to other people's lips, but it was more important to me that I make *tea*, not water. If that makes any sense (hint: no).

6. runformoney1110

runformoney1110 Well-Known Member

May 6, 2010
    Graphic designer
    In your closet
    I also find it tasty.

7. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #187 Vovin, Jul 30, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2010
    Uh, you're the dev?

Errrr.... I love your game?!?

Well, at least my guts say that this game will be a TopTen Hit for a long time.

8. Spaztrigger

Spaztrigger Well-Known Member

Apr 4, 2010
    Under your bed
    So can we expect an update?

9. onewithchaos

onewithchaos Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2009
    California
    Yea he's part of the company that makes this game. Along with John kooistra and I think one more person. Welcome Henry!! I got this game to support my favorite developer and these type of games aren't usually my cup of tea but I'm very much enjoying this. I love the subtle art like the glowing squares and the simplicity d absurdity of the game. I've already gifted this thrice ;)

10. Vinvy

Vinvy Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2010
    #190 Vinvy, Jul 30, 2010
    A game should stimulate us both visually and viscerally, gamers often ignore this, but Video Games can look good and play well at the same time. I see potential lost in this game, it doesn't need an extensive collection, just variety with what is already there(the handful of coloured squares). In your review you stated that how much distinct personallity you felt the squares each had, well I disagree with that, I expected that. Even though I enjoy the game, I can't help but be bored with fighting just squares over and over. Tilt to Live did something similar, but it was successful in imbuing the red dots with personallity. But it's gameplay type aloud the developers much more freedom with that task.

I see the statement being made with having all the monsters be squares, with the simplicity of the gameplay and the graphics. It's not hard to get, I am not missing the point, you aren't clairvoyant here, it is smashed over the players head. But it didn't work! The art style is terrible, and I am bored of the enemies, it's a failed experiment. I get the joke, but I dislike it. I enjoy Raymond Carvers writing because it is enjoyable, not because he wrote with minimalistic prose. If it wasn't enjoyable, I wouldn't praise the prose, I would point out that his use of minimalism didn't work.

I am enjoying this game, we both are, but I see potential, while you seem to be able to settle. I guess we can leave it at that. Maybe you are a truer gamer, and I place too much emphasis on aesthetic values. But my voice is valid, don't tell me I didn't get it.

11. No you don't. But that's cool. :)

Every television critic in the world loves Mad Men. To me it's duller than watching dry paint [sic]. To each his/her/shklee's own.

12. onewithchaos

Apr 16, 2009
    California
    Dude/dudette it's only been out a day :p. Prbly but let them breathe :)

13. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany

I tell you - without any sarcasm, that this game will go the same way like Fruit Ninja, Angry Birds and Doodle Jump. I bet 500.000 copies within 4 months.

14. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    i hope this hits top 10 soon! :]

already 27!

15. Vinvy

Vinvy Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2010
    I am really interested in this, knowing the intent can often help apprecaiation. Though, I still wish for something else... But gameplay is stellar so whatever.

16. runformoney1110

runformoney1110 Well-Known Member

May 6, 2010
    Graphic designer
    In your closet
    I also support the outfit customization suggestion. I dont really need weapons, but it would be nice to have more hairstyles, hats and attire. Maybe we could buy these with the coins we collect, but not in an in-game store. Have the costume store on the menu, or something.

17. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #197 Vovin, Jul 30, 2010

Wow - I don't really like your game, but I like you and your attitude.
    Your next game is a purchase by me for sure.

I am surprised: a dev who silenced the praisers and lets the critics speak.

You're either drunk, stoned or really cool. ;)

18. Foursaken_Media

Foursaken_Media Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Thing about the squares it that by being "boring" and simple squares (as far as I gather), it keeps the the player focused on the main goal of the game: getting through it as fast as possible. With anything more fancy than just squares, you start getting people to expect the game to be something its not. While I wouldn't mind a bit more visual personality to the squares (enemies made of several squares for ex), I find myself just mashing attack and running through the level anyway, so it wouldn't change much imo.

At the very least you can say the game is very different by having just squares, which is good for business in its own right.

Anyway, I think the game is overall pretty fun in short bursts -- I was surprised :)

19. onewithchaos

Apr 16, 2009
    California
    Well they do have Blue Attack!, Blue Defense!, and Red Conquest!

20. Oh, I never intended to silence the praisers. Please, praisers, by all means continue. ;)