Universal Five Card Quest - Tactical RPG Battles (Rocketcat Games)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Kepa, Oct 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tahzblade

tahzblade Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2012
    Any plans on releasing this on android ? If so, when ?

2. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    There's one boss at the end, who is the goal of the game. No unlockable stuff, everything's unlocked in the beginning. Thinking about ideas for one really tough unlock though, maybe some sort of nightmare mode.

It's only out on iOS in the beginning. After it's out for awhile we'll have Noodlecake port it to Android, I think. Not sure how long that would take, though.

3. FLSGames

FLSGames Member

Apr 14, 2015
    this looks very cool, can't wait to try it out also

4. luckystrikeguy

luckystrikeguy Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2013
    Right on! I still haven't beat the last dungeon in wayward so I'm guessing I'm going to be dying a lot again lol

5. rezn

rezn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Mar 8, 2014
    Male
    Coder/Keyer in medical ICD 10
    Reno, NV
    Ahh Rocketcat treats. Looks like I'm not the only one impatiently awaiting for this. And the others of course. ;)

6. Jayg2015

Jayg2015 Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Male
    Player 1
    Liberty city
    Not a big card game fan but this looks nice

7. baldeagle86

baldeagle86 Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2013
    When can we expect release?

8. slothwerks

slothwerks Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Looks really neat, totally sold on this.

You mentioned that you don't build a deck per se, and that each character has their own set of cards that determines their abilities. In some of the screenshots though, it does seem like you can buy cards.

1. Assuming you can add cards to a deck, how do you do that? (Buying cards? Leveling?)
    2. If you can't add new cards to the deck, what increases the power level of a character?

In my head when I saw this, I imagined an RPG deck builder like Dream Quest, which I'm totally obsessed with. Either way, 100% Day 1 buy for me, looks great!

9. Repulsa

Repulsa Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2015
    I CANNOT wait for this I heard about it a few months ago and it looks like it will be mine soon God I wish it was coming out tomorrow

10. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    In about a month or so. I don't have a definite release date yet, but as soon as I know I'll post it!

Oh, yeah, you can buy one-use cards from the shops. Before each battle, you can see what enemies you're going to have to fight. At this time you can also pick an item card to bring with you. Some are used automatically right on the first turn, and others are actual cards added to the deck that you get to pick when to use. You can only bring one at a time.

There are two main ways to increase the power of a character. One is that you can find Shrines of Power that will level up a character of your choice. They start at level 0 and can go up to 3. A maxed out character has 50% more health and does 50% more damage than one with no levels at all.

The other way is getting Boons, which are different perks for your whole team. You get to pick one at the start of the game and have to find the rest. There's one that makes you heal 20% when going to the next area, one that makes everyone do 10% more damage, things like that. 5 total, and if you live long enough you'll get all of them in one game.

It's not a deck building game at all, it just uses cards as a way to make you pick from randomized options from moment to moment.

11. luckystrikeguy

luckystrikeguy Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2013
    #31 luckystrikeguy, Oct 14, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2015
    How many characters are there to play with ? Do they all come with their own cards or do you pull from like a central deck of cards ?

12. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    There's five characters, you can have 3 in your party at a time. Every area (five areas) gives you a choice of swapping one of your characters out for a new one you find. Reasons to switch: Later characters come pre-leveled, and you can swap out someone that's nearly dead for someone that has full health.

They all have their own unique cards. Every character has 8 cards, so with a full team you either have 24 or 25 cards in your deck. Usually you have 5 in your hand, but some item cards let you have the item card in addition to your other cards, so sometimes you have have 6 cards in your hand to choose from.

13. bhoylhogro

bhoylhogro Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2014
    *crosses fingers and toes*
    What's the minimum iOS version requirement for this?

14. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    iOS 6. I know it'll run on an iPad 2, because that's what I use. Not that it runs great on there.

15. bhoylhogro

bhoylhogro Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2014
    If I can play it while supporting you guys, it's worth trying. Even though the OS version is old, I get way more battery life. My brother's iPad Mini with retina on iOS 9 has a noticeably shorter battery life.

16. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    I generally dont like card battlers (although i like a very select few), but im pretty excited about this one.

17. Guise

Guise Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2009
    Gnomes? Party room?

I don't think I've ever really played a card battler--the deck building always seemed complicated and laborious, though I know that the customization and variation are what a lot of people like about them. Five Card Quest seems like it'll be more streamlined and accessible for amateurs like me. Was this a goal in the design or am I mistaken in thinking this?

Anyway, I'll be instantly buying.

18. baldeagle86

Dec 21, 2013
    Will there be sewer rats? :)

19. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    It's designed to be really accessible/approachable. There's no "deck building" really, except for picking characters. I could go for some deck building in future games, but this ones supposed to be pretty simple.

No gnomes D:
    NO HATS D: D: D:
    What have I become?

I wish. Someone copyrighted rat monsters because they were used so much in dungeons and dragons sorta stuff and videogames and so on. Now you have to pay some dude to put a rat in your game. Just like you have to pay some guy to use memes in your game now.

It's really awful.

20. baldeagle86

Dec 21, 2013
    Damn, does this apply to spooky skeletons too?