iPhone Frozen Synapse - (by Mode 7)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, May 15, 2013.

1. Sojourn

Sojourn Well-Known Member

Sorry for the delay -- I had gone to sleep! Awake now and on to Turn 2. Good luck!

Do we want to post Game IDs in the thread so people can watch tournament matches as they play out?

2. Sojourn

That was an intense game, Deputy -- well played! Since it was a Draw, would you like to go to a second/tiebreaker game for the tournament?

3. Sojourn

Good game, Lost_Deputy -- you brought home an undeniable win with that one. Looking forward to future matches!

4. Lost_Deputy

Lost_Deputy Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney
    1st game was a cracker. I got lucky on my 1st round in the 2nd game :)

Just got an email back from Mode 7 who are currently working on retina support and the tourney interface. They asked to know any other issues so I gave them all the ones I could find in this thread.

Hopefully FS goes to the next level soon!

Meanwhile who is my next challenger :)

5. Pipipitchu

Pipipitchu Well-Known Member

May 4, 2013
    Civil Servant
    Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    Great game, but so poorly executed. The tutorial, the interface... I hope they fix those problems soon.

6. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    New update is out, (can't copy and paste the App Store text so took a screen shot instead)

Attached Files:

7. Alister

Alister Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2012
    Philippines
    Well I guess the retina requests were granted,congrats petitioners..:)

When will the red expansion be available though??hhhmmm...But they still need a better tutorial..

8. Lost_Deputy

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney
    Damn I lent my ipad to my niece who broke her arm! Stupid family guilt!!
    That said I emailed the devs re.iphone support which they seemed keen on. Wooooot!

I know it's subjective and each to their own but FS is my fav strategy game on ios bar none. Would love to see the wings being spread

9. Twenty One

Twenty One Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2012
    Oil & Gas Engineer
    Oklahoma City, USA
    Ya, I've been neglecting this great game...it really is probably the best online/matchmaking setup for any game on iOS.

We need to get some more multiplayer action going between all of us.....and hopefully we can get a tournament setup again soon.

Add me in-game for some battles: Twenty-One

10. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Frozen Synapse is one of the few iOS games that I actually played online multiplayer on, because it is so easy to do so. Sadly it keeps marchmaking me with tactical geniuses. Not enjoying that part much. Reminds me too much of Xbox Live where you get spawn camped and headshotted non stop in thoses FPSes, except Rainbow 6 Vegas, which I did well in.

11. Sojourn

You're on! :)

12. Defard

Defard Well-Known Member

May 25, 2011
    UK
    I was an early-adopter of FS on the PC / Mac but didnt get the ipad version as early comments seemed to suggest that the UI was poor compared to the pc version.

Is this still the case or has it been rectified in later updates etc?

13. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    Text is much better, HUD icons are still blurry

14. mr ed209

mr ed209 Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2009
    I had so little fun trying to work out how to control the Mac demo while deciding if I was going to buy the iPad version that my decision was very easy to make.

Having played Breach and Clear for an hour last night, it seems they got the control system right. Frozen Synapse looked *horrible* to control, I have to say.

:(

15. Lost_Deputy

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney
    Comparing a demo on Mac to an hour of B&C ain't saying a lot. FS is awesome but it takes some serious learning initially. Once you get it there is nothing that currently comes close in intensity for mp on ios

16. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    I agree here, frozen synapse is fantastic at what it does, B&C is like a watered down (well watered down isn't fair but I'm not sure what to call it) entry to the genre and if you like B&C its well worth picking up FS as there's so much more depth and strategy to it, sure it takes some learning at first but when you get the hang of it it's great you get to control every action and movement of your team down to where they look,crouch aim or not and right down to the fractions of seconds. When you fail it's always down to you having your guys doing the wrong thing or being in the wrong place.
    Great game.

17. GiHubb

GiHubb Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 27, 2010
    CEO
    I really like the UI in FS and prefer playing it on iPad over PC. It kinda feels Minority Report like. The learning curve is there but once you watch the tutorial videos and perhaps a few other vids on YouTube, it's a breeze to issue the exact orders you want. Great game. Personally GOTY for me so far on iPad. The update also improved the text quality so now it's not an issue.

18. Crzychkn

Crzychkn Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Utah, USA
    Agreed with everything said. I got it last night after loving B&C, and it is a step up from B&C for sure (not only in polish and bugs, but also depth/gameplay.

Highly recommend FS if you enjoy Breach. I love the UI too. Took some learning, but it is precise when you understand it.

19. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    I can't relate to the perceived issues with the supposed "complexity" of FS UI. To me everything seemed very self explanatory and easy. I watched some of the videos and started playing without having any real question or issue as to the interface or the commands. It all seems very natural and straight forward in its design to me. Sure you have lots of options, but they are all the option you should have in a game of this genre.

Perhaps experience is what is the factor here I guess. I fed on games like S.W.A.T., the original Rainbow Six's, Xcom, Jagged Alliance and other more "in depth" tactical games, so for me Frozen Synapse seems a breeze when it comes to controls and UI...

In any case, I have to also endorse this game if you remotely like Breach and Clear. Like the other poster said, it is not so much that Breach and Clear is watered down, but I think you have far more tactical options available to you at your disposal in this game vice that one. Both should be owned for any tactical strategy lover though!

20. Lost_Deputy

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney
    All this FS love is making me feel all warm and fuzzy. The update has fixed the majority of the ugly in the tourny creation menus but its now giving out a different error. I've emailed the devs but in the meantime let's get this happening manually.

I'll chalk it up. Who's ready for battle?
    :D