iPhone Frozen Synapse - (by Mode 7)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, May 15, 2013.

1. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

Any Feedback from the Developer on the thrown up topics?

2. jamarohn

jamarohn Active Member

May 18, 2012
    I did. Then I rebooted my ipad (shut it all the way down, and restart) and for some reason that took care of it. No issues connecting to server, no more endless spinners.

3. Meridian99

Meridian99 Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2012
    My 2 cents: I just bought the game, I have a retina Ipad, and to be honest it looks pretty good. Haven't seen the text stuff yet, but, in my opinion, if you are worried about the graphics don't. It looks fine.

4. geoelectric

geoelectric Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Yeah. I went in expecting the worst from the graphics, but they aren't distractingly bad or anything.

5. JaysUsernam

JaysUsernam Active Member

Sep 1, 2012
    Wow, never even heard about this but after reading about it this is an insta-buy. I used to love the original Rainbow Six because of it's extensive planning phase.

6. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    #146 iPadisGreat, May 17, 2013
    Last edited: May 17, 2013
    If I recall correctly, they were both rifles. Would either he be ducking or my guy be ducking have caused that? That he can see and shoot my guy, but my guy can't do the same?

I have got quite a good handle on using the rifles now, going to move onto using the shotgun guys. Introducing one new weapon type at a time to tear this game apart... :)

The best part of a Frozen Synapse and the original Rainbow Six comparison is that you do not actually have to play the arcade action part. It is pure tactical planning. A good differentiator from original Rainbow Six or if the tangos' aims were better and faster than yours...

7. Lost_Deputy

Lost_Deputy Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney
    When the enemy starts ghosting this game gets crazy. Trying to flush out enemies last known positions with shotguns while your snipers cover the windows only to be flanked by an enemy RPG is tactical bliss :)

8. airhead3

airhead3 Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Simulate Enemy Movement

I thought I'd share a tip for new players. Maybe this is obvious, but it wasn't obvious to me when I was first learning the game on the Mac:

You can set up orders for both your units AND the enemy units as well. I remember how revelatory that was when I realized it; you can actually try to play both sides and predict (and act out) what the enemy may do and actually simulate it to test out your counter strategy.

I know I struggled for a while trying to guess what might happen if the enemy unit was over there before I found that out.

Feel free to scoff at the obviousness of this, but I thought I'd throw it out there in case it helps some light bulbs to go off. :cool:

9. jamarohn

jamarohn Active Member

May 18, 2012
    Oh wow! Thanks for the tip!! Awesome.

10. grenadedodger

grenadedodger Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2010
    Manchester, UK
    Cheers Airhead, that is one handy ass tip! :D

11. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    If anyone wants to add me in game for a game it's "oooooomonkey"

I was expecting this to be good from what I read about the pc version but I wasn't expecting it to be this good,

12. Twenty One

Twenty One Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2012
    Oil & Gas Engineer
    Oklahoma City, USA
    #152 Twenty One, May 17, 2013
    Last edited: May 17, 2013
    Multiplayer ROCKS!!!

Well, I stayed up way too late last night playing multiplayer and.....WOW!

I can't think of any other iOS game that has such attention to detail in the form of in-game multiplayer/matchmaking options and features.

You can see if your opponent is online and where they are exactly...like if they are making a move in another game or making a move in your game, or if they are in the menu/lobby, etc

You can play BOTH synchronously and asynchronously and its handled in a unique and awesome way compared to other iOS games as far as I know.
    You can play both asynch/synch simultaneously in the same game or in different games...for instance, you and an opponent can start a game in real-time, make a few moves with your opponent and then continue the game at a later time either turn-based or in real-time if your opponent happens to be online at that time.
    Last night, I was playing an opponent in "real-time" and while I was waiting for them to make a move, I would go take my turn in other asynchronous games and then come back to my real-time game and make my moves......it's a GREAT system!!
    (Asynchronous play is handled by PBEM notifications but I don't know if they are working yet.)

Everything about the online component is impressive including the sleek and easy to use UI and menu system. You can even see a list of all players online and can challenge them from there. You also have a friends list as well as a list of other players to follow if you want. You can find a game through matchmaking or you can setup a private game.

You can also watch the replay of other games even if its two complete strangers......which would really help with learning tactics and tricks from others.

Look, I know that many (including myself) are disappointed that the Devs did not include the AI settings from the PC version but I am confident that it might get added in an update. I also understand that the PC version costs $25 so that might explain their reasons for not including the AI settings at launch. HOWEVER--maybe, just maybe, the Devs didn't want to include those settings in order to encourage more people to play multiplayer--and that is just fine with me.

Sooo, like "ooooooomonkey" said, I figured this game would be good but I had no idea just how good or how hooked I would be. The amount of depth, tactics and strategy is quite impressive and rivals that of any other games on this platform.

I can't believe that this game is only a measly 7 bucks because it is hands down one of the best strategy gems on the App Store!

13. CoreyB

CoreyB Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2011
    Aircraft Mechanic
    Chicago, IL
    Sent you a game but have to play async till the end of my work week.

14. JagerBombS

JagerBombS Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2012
    Spot on Twenty One!

I just started multiplayer after getting comfortable enough to try it. The instant action and completely different playing field every game is amazing. You have critical decisions to make right out of the gate, where one misplaced step is life or death, It's incredible!

15. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    So can one only face AI in the Campaign?

16. iPadisGreat

Dec 10, 2012
    Tried the online multiplayer. Wow, got creamed in all my matches. I watched the featured match and it was like one player could predict where his opponent was going to go and had all his rockets shooting there. TPK in 3-4 rounds...

Those people who have not tried online, do so please, it opens up a whole lot of other stuff. I'd say it was half the game. Don't see how I can get good enough to hold my own there. No wonder they were talking about fresh meat over at the Frozen Synapse forums...

17. JagerBombS

Apr 11, 2012
    If that was the one I watched as well, it was a light extermination game. With your apparent enthusiasm and enjoyment, can I ask why you have given this a 1 star rating?

18. iPadisGreat

Dec 10, 2012
    That was when I first downloaded Frozen Synapse and the redesigned iPad interface confused me. How to change the rating? In fact after I clicked the star, there was no indication that it registered at all...

I just returned to page 1 and clicked 5 stars, again no indication that it registered at all. Can you see any changes over at your end?

19. BrushMyNoseOff

BrushMyNoseOff Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2009
    Coach / Photographer
    NYC

This is the only thing keeping me from giving this a go. Rather silly, I'm aware, but I feel like the constant ass kicking I'll be getting online from the start might discourage me from learning the ins and outs here. Is there some sort of matchmaking system based on skill-level?

And yes - you show up as rating it 5 stars now.

20. JagerBombS

Apr 11, 2012
    Shows 5 now! All good bud