iPad FTL: Faster Than Light - (by Subset Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Apr 2, 2014.

1. Xexist

Xexist Well-Known Member

May 6, 2010
    Canada
    Being fair to him, I think he was saying that it wasnt in the top sales list (it IS, but he was mistakenly looking at iphone games, not ipad games), so he was saying that it doesnt seem there are a lot of fans willing to spend the money on both. It was just a mistake and he wasnt trashing the game.

2. Xexist

Xexist Well-Known Member

May 6, 2010
    Canada
    Dont underestimate the power of a teleporter.

3. iamthekiller

iamthekiller Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2009
    I own this game on my Mac through steam and also bought this on my iPad Air as soon as it was available in the App Store. It's easily the best game I've played on the iPad.

Can anybody show a photo of the game on an iPad mini retina? (not a screenshot). I'm curious how it looks on the smaller screen.

4. Topherunhinged

Topherunhinged Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2014
    #224 Topherunhinged, Apr 4, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2014
    *oops

5. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    They ask too much = $10 is expensive? Are you honestly saying that?

6. FPE

FPE Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    World, now Belgium
    This is way better than any infinity slashing experience. Well worth the few coffees it costs. But probably it is also due to my taste for games like this.
    There were few teasers like this ftl-clone out of kickstarter (I deleted it in an hour including the name from my brain) or Out There, but FTL is really good.

If only I would ever manage to survive more than three sectors ...

7. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

Again here's my thoughts on this from yesterday

8. Xexist

Xexist Well-Known Member

May 6, 2010
    Canada
    The thing maybe some people dont realize is that when you get a new ship you can approach every fight in a whole new way. All weapons, all drones, all EMP (ion), or boarding parties.

So much to unlock, so much fun to be had! $10 is a bargain!

9. khann

khann Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2013
    I just got a teleporter on my ship. Boarding other ships are great.

10. Xexist

Xexist Well-Known Member

May 6, 2010
    Canada
    Things to be careful of: Dont destroy a ship with your people still on it. Dont fire on a room with your people in it. Ships *can* warp away with your people still on board if you havent disabled their engines.

11. famousringo

famousringo Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2011
    Funny how times change. When I was a kid, you literally could not buy even the dorkiest little utility program for less than $15. FTL is already cheaper than any program made in the 20th century.

For the cheapskates, it'll probably go on sale someday. It's worth keeping an eye out.

Re: Boarding parties. I was trying to use boarding drones and mind control as a sort of teleporter substitute. Didn't work out so well for me. Mind control is a fun way to mess with the enemy, but it's nothing decisive and boarding drones offer no control. They gave me an edge in combat, but my guns still did all the heavy lifting, I still took hits, and the flagship had no trouble tearing me to pieces in the first round.

There's no substitute for a well-trained marine squad, I guess.

12. iamthekiller

iamthekiller Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2009
    21st century, but yes. People are used to free games, or $1-$2 at most. They're perfectly happy with some boring shit Doodle Jump nonsense. FTL is not marketing to them.

13. Xexist

Xexist Well-Known Member

May 6, 2010
    Canada
    He meant 20th. ("When I was a kid")

14. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    I'll forget about all the "it's expensive" comments, I've played for a total time of around 6h since release and I'm having a fantastic time with the game. Well, well worth its price, honestly.

My experience is that this is my "nearly" game: I nearly killed the boss the 1st time once (check ftl.wikia.com to know about the boss fight), I nearly unlocked the crystal ship but got killed in the process, I nearly unlocked the rock ship but ran out of fuel (and got killed by the ship which came to my beacon...) and I nearly unlocked the zoltan ship but encountered the only bug I've seen in the game so far (didn't unlock when it should have. Devs are aware and they've fixed it for the next update). So there you go, my "nearly" game... :p Best game I've played in the last years though.

15. Xexist

Xexist Well-Known Member

May 6, 2010
    Canada
    #235 Xexist, Apr 4, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2014
    Mantis ship (B) is my favorite (and some may say easiest). It takes awhile to unlock unless youre lucky, but has a 4 man Teleporter, which believe you me.. makes boarding other ships a treat :)

16. badmanj

badmanj Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Software developer
    Reading, England
    Are there any global high scores? I see it connects to game centre but can't see any high scores in the game aside from my own?

17. khann

khann Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2013
    If I kill the entire crew, does that yield me more scrap than destroying the ship?

18. Xexist

Xexist Well-Known Member

May 6, 2010
    Canada
    I believe it does yes.

19. BlueTrin

BlueTrin Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2012
    Yes in fact if you start with the mantis ship and always board when you can, you will get so much more scrap.

20. Menel

Menel Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2012
    Engineer
    TN
    Yes, compared to the artistic materpeices of Infinity Blande and Galaxy on Fire 2.

It should slot somewhere between those and the 1.99 puzzly cut the rope games.