Games you want a price drop!

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by mattll, May 25, 2009.

1. kcbc

kcbc Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2009
    Tiger Woods $9.99 (Would like to see $5.99)
    ExZeus $4.99 (Would like to see $2.99)
    Sonic $5.99 (Would like to see $2.99)

2. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

*sigh* If you guys really think the race to 99 cents has brought higher quality games... I just, gah. You win, all games should be 99 cents, and hopefully in the future 49 cents, or better yet free.

3. super6ft7

super6ft7 Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2008
    first things first, my xbox 360 costed LESS than my iPod Touch. I have bought 6 games and 2 arcade games. For about £6/7 each i have bought N+ and Lode runner for my xbox online. Both these games come with huge amounts of levels, online and local co-op and multiplayer and a level editor. I alone have got more out of these games than any of my iPod Touch games and that is not including the fun my friends get when they come round.

Other games i have are Halo 3 (£30/50 hours), Fable 2(£30/40 hours), Fallout 3(£35/60 hours), Mass Effect(£20/40 hours), Skate 2(£40/30 hours), Fifa 09(£35/25 hours) and the orange box(£25/dunno)

So yeah, if you are stupid and buy the wrong games, you will waste a lot of money, but I haven't regretted a single purchase on my 360 and I don't see how you can talk about how much it costs!

You also say that you could potentially waste money on a game you don't like, well you can do that on the appstore as well?

4. walsh06

walsh06 Well-Known Member

ya but youll only wasting max $10 and thats only a few games

5. Devilishly Good

Devilishly Good Well-Known Member

May 1, 2009
    The Underworld
    Very true, that's why I don't buy very many games at all unless I think I am really, really sure that I will find lasting value in them. I won't buy a 99c game because it could be potentially cool. I will wait and see reviews, gameplay videos on youtube, etc. I don't subscribe to the "it's just a buck so if you don't like it you only lost a $1." That's a $1 gone to me permanently for a few minutes of amusement...no way.

As for the xbox costing less than the ipod touch. With the xbox you get a single purpose device that isn't portable. With the ipod touch you get a music player, wireless internet device, and game playing device...and it's portable on top of that. That would make the ipod touch more valuable to me than just an xbox.

6. HardcoreEricXXX

HardcoreEricXXX Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Virginia
    The xbox is a home entertainment console. It provides chat with friends and family, streaming of netflix movies, and music and movies from your computer, plays DVDs and HD Dvds, and is a game console with downloadable games, extra content, and a well designed online gaming experiance

7. eeenmachine

eeenmachine Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2008
    Independent Game Developer
    San Diego, CA
    I found a leaked image of the new 49 cent App Store being announced next month!

[​IMG]

8. SoCal_Sponger

SoCal_Sponger Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2009
    horrible photoshop

9. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

Ooo!!! I hope I get a solitaire game with my two quarters!!!

10. The Bat Outta Hell

The Bat Outta Hell Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 10, 2009
    Hat Salesman
    Washington
    Sonic the Hedgehog. $6 is madness for a 20 year old port.

11. Isilel

Isilel Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2009
    And why was that a desirable state of affairs? I mean, on the consoles with what effectively amounts to price-fixing, Devs certainly aren't shy about selling shitty games full-price. Just because higher prices are feasible doesn't mean that the price would be a guarantee for quality.
    And let's not forget that most games also fail to pull profit there, so it is a general state of affairs rather than specifically Appstore's problem.

Now, I do want longer and more complex games and they can cost 10 bucks. But vast majority of the games on the appstore just doesn't deserve this price tag. They are either too short/simplistic or have a variety of serious flaws.

I also notice that most Devs prefer to cut price rather than or before releasing a Lite - which also doesn't help with buyer's reluctance to shell for more expensive stuff.
    I mean, if Devs are convinced of quality of their product and want to charge higher, why not give prospective clients a taste? Not doing this makes them look like they have something to hide or are lazy - neither of which fills me with confidence and desire to purchase from them.

But of course the one single change that would allow more expensive quality games to get the spotlight they deserve would be change in iTunes ranking to "by revenue" rather than "by number of downloads". That would immediately fix all Appstore problems and end thetyranny of 0.99, IMHO, but unfortunately, it is out of hands of both Devs and consumers.

12. eeenmachine

eeenmachine Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2008
    Independent Game Developer
    San Diego, CA
    I know! Imagine all the suckers who paid $5 for the original Super Mario Bros on their Wii!

13. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

What about the the 2.8 million American suckers who paid $30 for Super Mario Bros DX for the Gameboy Color, then the 867,000 people who got once again STOLEN from by Nintendo for $20 when the Classic NES series Super Mario was released for the GBA?

14. ultimo

ultimo Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    Welcome to TouchArcade!

You are not in an Xbox thread, Period!

15. ultimo

ultimo Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    I agree with You... Completely!

16. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    99 cents!?
    49 cents!?

I'm not made of money!

@ Ian: Please release all Nimblebit games in one app and make it free. With frequent updates from now until forever. Just chain yourself to your desk and work out of your own pocket until I feel you have earned my $0.00. I'll even leave a 5 star review on the appstore for you... maybe

/sarcasm ;)

17. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

Dude he needs to take it one step further and when you first launch the game you enter your PayPal information and on your first play NimbleBit pays you 99 cents.

18. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    Oh that will DEFINITELY work for me!

I have a feeling we'll see comments complaining about the use of paypal though

-----
    1star
    no paypal! by CheapKid

best game bundle ever! i have no paypal, parents won't let me get one. Can dev please make my iphone shoot out quarters? will change review to 5 stars when they do.

-----

19. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    Hodapp, I'm assuming this is sarcasm, so this isn't directly at you ;) I actually bought all of these games when they came out. Does that make me a "sucker"? Did I get "taken" by these criminals? No, of course not. I spent so much time with SMB on Wii, I got my $5 worth and then some. And I love SMB DX, that is one of the finest examples of a port done right. The classic NES series GBA version of SMB is actually kind of crappy for the price, but still I wasnt a "sucker" for buying that either. I knew what I was doing. And FYI I have Sonic too, and have no regrets paying $6 for that as well. I dont know about anybody else, but I'm a gamer, I spend money on games, it's my hobby. I have no problems paying a few dollars for things on the app store. So much great stuff is underpriced as it is. Some people I'm sure have greater responsibilities than I do (kids, wives, etc) and probably have to watch the wallet a little closer, and I respect that. I just don't think you can resort to bashing people for how they spend their money. But the amount of people that complain about a dollar or two... it's just sad.

20. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

I own every version of Zelda ever made including Game & Watch, the LCD wrist watch game, and that ridiculously overpriced GameCube promo disc... So I'm right with you man. ;)