General Apple Arcade Discussion

Discussion in 'Apple Arcade' started by Boardumb, Sep 18, 2019.

1. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Ha ha oops !!

I'm happy with Apple Arcade, like you say its about 100 games i've had in the last 2 months to try. I like to take my time with games as some games i might not be keen instantly but i try them again and love them.

But as you say the problem is people have tons of games at their disposal and just seem to be whizzing through all of them. I mean say Oceanhorn II , a brilliant game, surely not everyones completed that ? I'll be playing that for ages.

So yeah i can see what you mean about they should have released just 20 perhaps initially but then they might not have attracted the masses. Be interesting to know how well its doing

2. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    New game's out! Haha, I don't want to start a thread for it since Jared's done every single other one in this sub-forum and I believe there isn't a pre-made Coming Soon one.

3. Stag

Stag Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2017
    Hello. I have a question about apple arcade. Can I use the money I have on my itunes account from itunes cards to pay for the 4.99 fee after the free trial is over...or do I have to use a debit/cc

4. stubbieoz

stubbieoz Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2015
    Male
    Grey haired gamer
    NSW Australia
    You can use funds in your Apple ID account.
    Just check that you have funds first by tapping on your icon in the AppStore.
    You can also change the order of how AppStore purchases are made such as PayPay, then credit card, then, etc.

Note that the AppStore will always take money from your Apple ID account first.

5. Stag

Stag Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2017
    stubbieoz thanks so much

stubbieoz likes this.
  6. Donar

Donar Member

Dec 16, 2019
    Male
    Hi there, there is now a yearly subscription available for Apple Arcade in several countries. So if you’ll want to keep your subscription anyways, maybe switch to the yearly plan.
    Pricing eg. in Germany is 49,99€ for twelve month’s instead of 4,99€ per month.

7. stubbieoz

stubbieoz Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2015
    Male
    Grey haired gamer
    NSW Australia
    Just checked and Australia is one of the countries and at $79.99AUD a year that means two months free.

8. Donar

Donar Member

Dec 16, 2019
    Male
    I only completed 76% of Oceanhorn 2 after finishing the game. Will re- visit it later in 2020. I‘m currently busy finishing Spaceland and began playing Zelda: Breath of the wild on my Switch....

9. ROGER-NL

ROGER-NL Well-Known Member

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    Happy New Year peeps!

ColeDaddy likes this.
  10. Rocksaint

Rocksaint Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2013
    It seems every recent Apple Arcade game played on iPhone X overheats the device and also drains substantial amount of battery.

I tried to play the last two releases - Doomsday Vault and LEGO Builder’s Journey. Both seem to have the same issue.

Sadly, makes me lose faith for future releases.

11. Donar

Donar Member

Dec 16, 2019
    Male
    What do you mean with overheat? Like it shuts down due to the high temperature, or does ist only get "really warm" / hot. I noticed that my iPhone XR/11 got really warm after I re tried a level of the game "Agent Intercept" several times. Noticed the same thing & high battery drain on my iPad while playing Spaceland. I did not have this problem while playing Oceanhorn 2 on my iPad (did not try on iPhone).

I have to admit that I have a case on all my devices, and it does not help dissipating the heat, seems that e.g. the Nintendo Switch has a small fan for a reason.

12. Rocksaint

Rocksaint Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2013
    No no. The phone never shuts down automatically. But yeah, it gets really really warm. Especially the screen and the cameras at the back. Also, the battery drain is substantially more than most games.

Gives me the impression that they are not optimised well enough and Apple only cares about them working well on the latest devices.

13. badmanj

badmanj Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Software developer
    Reading, England
    This has REALLY slowed up now. Time to unsubscribe soon if Apple don't pick the pace up a little.

Particularly irritating is the 'Top Arcade Games This Week' section, which by rights should contain just one game max right now, and often nothing at all... but it seems to have even some of the launch titles in there, or at least some VERY early ones. Very deceitful for new joiners to the Arcade, giving the impression that there's a swathe of games being constantly added.

14. macplash

macplash Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    From the latest press release from Apple available here I quote:
    throughout 2020, the service will add new games and expansions every month

15. Donar

Donar Member

Dec 16, 2019
    Male
    The 'Top Arcade Games This Week' section seems to show the top downloads or most played games, i do not think the name is misleading. It‘s just like „Top 10 Songs/Singles for week x“ for music.

But yeah i can imagine that Apple Arcade is a service that will show a lot of churn in the customer base, if there is not a stream of new titles coming out. Just unsubscribe, and maybe re- subscribe if there is something new you want to play. I‘m still occupied with Spaceland on AppleArcade, and Zelda on my Switch.

16. badmanj

Mar 16, 2009
    Software developer
    Reading, England
    fair enough. But what about “new arcade games this week” that contains games from weeks and months ago?!

17. macplash

macplash Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    @badmanj look, I wouldn’t defend Apple too much as their practices are sometimes questionable - to say the least, but let’s be honest. This is pretty new service from them and I’d give ‘em some time to figure it out. To tweak and balance it here and there. I paid for yearly subscription to support it and if it goes nowhere after that, I’ll just cancel. It’s as easy as that. I got my money back already by spending hours and hours on titles I really liked. So some peculiar section on App Store really doesn’t bother me to the point I’d have complain about it. I’m hoping it’s gonna get on the right track this year by adding games on specific day of each month. Maybe even announcing incoming games. I’m quite hopeful for Apple Arcade. Let’s just be patient, shall we? They’ll get there, eventually. There’s already a fantastic lineup of games, so the most important requirement has been matched. And the rest will follow.

18. badmanj

Mar 16, 2009
    Software developer
    Reading, England
    Hmmm... let's "agree to disagree" then; I'm not a fan of paying full price for someone to test their fledgling service out on me, and to find their feet. They need to make this thing look more attractive very quickly or it'll naturally fade.

Gambler likes this.
  19. Maslan266

Maslan266 Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2017
    The last 8 games or so that released on Apple Arcade have been disappointing, since they’re not really my thing. Hopefully we see some more puzzle games or adventure games that come out. Horror or platformer games would be great too!

20. Maslan266

Maslan266 Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2017
    Are you sure Creaks is coming to AA? Didn’t hear a mention anywhere, also you missed Beyond Blue.