Gone games of yesteryear

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by thumbs07, Feb 26, 2024.

1. thumbs07

thumbs07 Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2010
    UK
    So many games which have been and gone on the Iphone.

I was just reminded of one based on a retro hit called Bank Panic.

The game was called Westbang.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westbang

Shoot a bandit who came out of three doors. Was a good game.

2. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    I played that a lot, back in the day.

This is a good thread to remind folks that GameClub is still out there (though pretty quiet over the last two years), and they are still keeping many great classics up to date and live in the App Store. I know folks are burned out on subscriptions, but anyone who’s been following this platform for a long time, I think it’s worth it.

3. Chq

Chq Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2013
    geoDefense Swarm

4. RoaringKitty

RoaringKitty Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2024
    The North
    #4 RoaringKitty, Sep 10, 2024
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2024
    Hector
    I miss Hector. I would love to play it again. Easily one of the best point and click games ever made. Brittish dark and vulgar humor at its best.

The Drowning
    It had a great soundtrack and a nice vibe to it. The gameplay itself was pretty meh but it had a certain something. Was a great feeling to upgrade your equipment.

Space Invaders: Infinity Gene
    This was awesome. I have fond memories of it. Great soundtrack and great fun evolving the little spaceship and outfitting it with different weapons.

Unmechanical
    It was a memorable and great adventure. At the time it felt like it was pushing the boundaries of the hardware.

Punch Quest
    Oh this was really good. Played the crap out of this when it was new. Probably spent some serious dough on hats and ”punchos” (in game currency). It is still available for download, but its a broken and buggy trainwreck now. Only a matter of time until it disappear for good.

8-bit Ninja
    Great fun. I miss this simple little game. Countless hours ”wasted” on it when I lived with grandma. Memorable pixel graphic and music.
    https://youtu.be/t7T-I1Bk7gI?si=sZQKbvP5wlke4JJ-

8-bit Waterslide
    Another great time waster on the toilet. Great music and intense gameplay.
    https://youtu.be/Yq6A2ShZfbQ?si=imITLkaAu1eDX8K_

Going through the App Store purchase history was a wonderful and nostalgic trip down memory lane. :oops: I’ll probably be back with more games.

Chq likes this.
  5. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    I loved Infinity Gene — so sad that it’s gone.

Chq likes this.
  6. RoaringKitty

Aug 23, 2024
    The North
    #6 RoaringKitty, Sep 12, 2024
    Yeah it’s great. I don’t understand why they took it down.

//

Let’s continue. It's fun and bittersweet to remember old iphone games.

Ghost n Goblins - Gold Knights
    One of the first games I bought on iOS back in 2009. I think the series is long overdue for a comeback. I know there are similar games now, but no one has captured the OG feeling.

Wolfenstein RPG / Doom RPG
    What a great and simplistic dungeon crawler type games these were! I kind of understand why they want them removed, but I love this stuff. I don’t mind the silliness at all.

Meteor Blitz
    A really good twin stick shooter. Touch controls done right with amazing graphics, sfx and music for it’s time. It was like Asteroids on steroids, with powerups and bossfights and all that good stuff. Great game.

Sword & Poker / Sword & Poker 2
    Simple and fun card/RPG battlers. Don’t have much to say more that I miss them and they were great games that made you keep interest.

Chq likes this.
  7. RoaringKitty

Aug 23, 2024
    The North
    #7 RoaringKitty, Sep 12, 2024
    Continuing..

Bombardiers Guild
    Pretty obscure game with a great steampunk vibe. Gravity based puzzler where your goal is to hit your opponent. In order to do so you must slingshot around planets and other obstacles that have a gravitational pull. It controls much like the classic pc game Scorched Earth.

Geared
    What a simple and fun game! It got devilishly hard later on but never felt cheap. You had all the time in the world to try out different solutions. Just you and the struggle to make the blue gear spin.

To fu / To fu 2
    Had great fun with these little platformers. You fling yourself around stages and collect dots while avoiding spikes, fire and other obstacles. Pretty nice graphics for its time.

Rimelands: Hammer of Thor
    Isometric RPG with some puzzle solving and visual dice rolls. Cute artstyle with light hearted casual gameplay. Fully voice acted if I’m not misstaken.

8. RoaringKitty

Aug 23, 2024
    The North
    #8 RoaringKitty, Sep 12, 2024
    Continuing..

Assassins Creed Pirates
    I’m not much for Assassins Creed but this one was good. Excellent music, fun and simple gameplay yet challenging with just the right amount of sidequests to keep you interested. The naval battles was great and made superb use of the touch interface. It is still available for download in the purchase history but its a buggy mess now.

Fahrenheit: Indigo Prophesy Remastered
    Great adoptation of a great game, would love to play it again on the ipad. It was only available for a brief time on App Store if memory serves me correct.

Theatrythm Final Fantasy
    Such a ugly game but so much fun to play if you’re a Final Fantasy nerd and drinking beer. Played it nonstop for half a year when I lived in Iceland. I bought pretty much every song there was for it.

Tap Tap Revenge 3
    Same with this one. Spent an absurd amount of money on songs, but have had so much fun with it when it was around.

Splode
    Just to round this mess out, Splode was a wonderful and relaxing title. The visuals was pretty stunning and the sound perfectly matched what happened on screen. No adrenaline pumping gameplay but a game I remember fondly.

9. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I’m getting quite emotional seeing some of these games ;)

I lost loads when we had the 64 bit appocalypse

RoaringKitty likes this.
  10. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Same here. Meteor Blitz was an essential iOS title. Put a ton of time on To-fu and Rimelands.

11. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I lost loads ! Really was gutted. Nearly switched over to android I was that annoyed !

Shame there wasn’t a list or I would have put these old games on my iPad. But they’re lost forever now. Saying that I must have old iPa files. Might try installing them again and see if that works

12. RoaringKitty

Aug 23, 2024
    The North
    #12 RoaringKitty, Sep 13, 2024
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2024
    Ok i already posted so much but let's include the classics too, for the sake of it. these are the games everyone knows about.

Zen Bound / Zen Bound 2
    You wrap a string around wooden shapes resembling animals. Your goal is to ”paint” the object with the string. It sound simple but oh boy it gets hard after a while. Zen Bound was a true AA game at the time.

Zenonia
    Lighthearted and simple role-playing games that felt like a breath of fresh air in the mobile market at the time. Pretty much everybody loved them. I think some of the later games are still available for download today.

Dungeon Hunter
    What a great game. One of the first arpgs for the platform. At the time it felt amazing to be able to play something like this on your phone. After the first couple of games it all went south.

iDracula
    Everyone knows iDracula. Its one of the OG twin stick shooters. your mission is to murder everything that moves in various Victorian environments. The enemies come in waves and between each wave you have the opportunity to upgrade your gear and character. Great graphics and awesome music.

13. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Dungeon hunter was beilliant. I often dip in and out of games but that was one game I played to the end. The sequel was even better

but gameloft then went freemium and ruined that series

squarezero likes this.
  14. RoaringKitty

Aug 23, 2024
    The North
    #14 RoaringKitty, Sep 13, 2024
    Continuing..

Geodefense
    The OG tower defense game. Such a good game with such a good art style. Simple concept but got devilishly hard later on.

Wooden Labyrinth 3D
    It felt so exotic to be able to play this classic game we all played as kids in kindergarten on your phone. The surprise that you could move the ball just by tilting the phone, just like in the original game you controlled with two knobs.

Bloons
    Its Bloons. You loved it. Everybody loved it. Tower defense with silly monkeys and ballons.

I Dig It / I Dig It 2
    The first good ”digger” game. Your mission is to dig deep in the earth to collect minerals and treasure to be able to pay your debt. In between rounds you spend cash and upgrade your digger to be able to dig even deeper and collect more valuble loot.

Dungeon Raid
    What a simple concept but so much fun to be had. You have a board with different tiles you must draw a path between. You have your attack tiles, defend tiles, gold tiles etc and its up to you how to balance all this to be able to both kill your enemies and stay alive.

15. RoaringKitty

Aug 23, 2024
    The North
    Dungeon Hunter was great. Peak Gameloft.

16. RoaringKitty

Aug 23, 2024
    The North
    #16 RoaringKitty, Sep 14, 2024
    Continuing..

Infinity Blade
    Infinity Blade was a mindblowing fighter game that made very good use of the touch controls. You swooped and tapped to hit your opponent. The graphics was pretty amazing for its time. Almost more of a tech showcase than actual game.

Puzzle Quest 2
    I don’t know what happened of Puzzle Quest 1, I don’t have it in my purchase history. Perhaps it was never released on iOS? I do remember PQ2 however. It was a great match-3 game with light RPG elements.

Robot Unicorn Attack
    Canabalt came first, but this will forever be my OG infinite runner. Toilet gaming made to perfection.

Granny Smith
    The OG Altos Adventures style gameplay. help grandma collect her hard earned retirement money. Fast, fun and ridiculous.

17. Jim Brown

Jim Brown New Member

Sep 16, 2024
    Male
    Dungeon Hunter was my favorite. Sad to hear they have taken it down as well.

18. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Puzzle Quest 2 is still available in your purchase history and it still works :). I don’t think PQ1 ever came out on iOS.

19. RoaringKitty

Aug 23, 2024
    The North
    It does work, but I don’t think it is 100%. I tried it again not super long ago and it had some weird graphical glitches on the ipad. I also get the feeling PQ1 never existed on iOS. I’m pretty sure I would have bought it if it did back then.

(PQ3 is pay to win / gacha galore. Not at all like the older titles.)

20. Andy C83

Andy C83 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    I, too, am feeling nostalgic for no reason whatsoever. :)

A friend recently gave me an iPhone 5S. Looked new, on iOS 9.2.1. I immediately loaded it up with as many "gone games from yesteryear" that still remain in my purchases (not including the ones that have found a new home in GameClub).

Can you spot any lost favourites?

RDT_20240919_175114584251306101125809.png RDT_20240919_1751215047221894808991114.png RDT_20240919_1751283657094195018787181.png RDT_20240919_1751345481000199576119011.png

Chq and RoaringKitty like this.