[In-Depth Review] Stick Wars vs. Defend Your Castle

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by mactds, May 8, 2009.

1. djflippy

djflippy Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    LOL, okay, for the sake of clarity:

My assertion is that popularity does not guarantee quality in iPhone video games.

If you can prove that it does, feel free to make your case.

2. Ark

Ark Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Thanks for the great reviews - because of this thread I just downloaded and played both of them for about 3 hours (yay lazy sunday morning in bed)

I found Defend your Castle really great visually with smooth gameplay but it was just too easy. On my first attempt I got bored at level 27 or so on regular, having almost never had them get to my castle walls so I quit and went to heroic to find it wasn't really that much harder.

Stick Wars seems more indepth and much more challenging - the upkeep costs and interest from not spending gold add strategy plus it's generally a harder battle to fight them off.

Anyhow, my impression is that Defend your Castle seems more casual while Stick wars has more of a challenge and more gameplay depth.

3. inferi22

inferi22 Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    actually cjs is only more popular here payback was in like the top 25 in the first 2 days(cjs still isnt there)

4. Agree with your assement Ark. Seems like Defend your Castle is for kids...nothing wrong with that just that's the target audience. Stickwars you actually have to flick them hard and up high to kill them otherwise they'll live. Defend your castle you just flick straight up and they're dead. Stickwars has much more strategy (not a ton) just more compared to Defend your Castle. Having said that I still like both and for both being a $1 if this is your genre get both.

5. mactds

mactds Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2008
    LA
    I wanted to say thank you to anyone who appreciated my review.
    I would have to say it's weird what I'm hearing about difficulty, on classic heroic mode on Denfend Your castle I'm on level 5, and it's really tough, they're slamming on my tower constantly.
    I play Stick Wars, and by Level 20 I don't do anything at all, because the archers take care of ever single attacker, so I don't do anything, not very difficult. Weird.

6. Ark

Ark Member

Apr 9, 2009
    That's really odd - I'm on an ipod touch and find I can just keep flicking up on Defend your castle and never have to use the wizards or bombs unless I'm bored and want a change. Perhaps there is a difference between the platforms?

7. mactds

mactds Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2008
    LA
    Really on classic heroic I'm now at level 30, and have about 75 of each, and i'm having a tough time beating each level. Are you sure you're playing heroic mode because the difficulty is night and day.

8. Mr. Lakky

Mr. Lakky New Member

Jun 4, 2009
    #28 Mr. Lakky, Jun 4, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2009

You are right but how do you explain the higher rating of STICKWARS (4/5):) against DYC (3.5/5). :mad:StickWars is better.:) If you are a loose player who enjoys playful games get DYC if you are a hardcore player focused on gameplay get stickwars.

9. djflippy

djflippy Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    KO!!!

Well, [app]Knights Onrush[/app] is out now and it's better than either of these games, IMO. :D

10. lowtek

lowtek Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2009
    Really nice review but I disagree with the final a scores. I find Stickwars to be far far more enjoyable and more fun to play.

11. Combzzz

Combzzz Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2009
    knights onrush domiates them both!!!!

12. lowtek

lowtek Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2009
    nope!!!

13. Combzzz

Combzzz Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2009
    hey lowtek noone cares about your opinion unless it is true, and clearly its not so either dont speak or speak only the truth

14. Giggity

Giggity Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Looking For Job
    USA
    Knights Onrush blows both of these outa the water. Pick it up for $4.99. Seriously its worth it...

15. jchampl

jchampl Well-Known Member

actually nobody cares about your opinion. I happen to agree with him. just because you like KOR more doesn't mean everybody does. KOR has quite a few bugs that make playing the game headache inducing. once they are fixed I will reevaluate.

16. snipyro

snipyro Member

May 30, 2009
    I'd have to agree with jchampl, I've never cared much about the graphical quality of games, and if you take that away, there's not much about Knights Onrush that makes me want to rush out to get it. Sure there are a few more things you can do, but some of the glitches (e.g. flicking at the screen with the knight not flying up) really ruin the experience for me personally. If you've already got Stick Wars, I don't see much reason to rush out and buy Knights unless you're a huge fan of the Castle Genre or cant stand the graphics of Stick Wars and Defend your Castle which is understandable.