iPhone Games Forum Split

Discussion in 'Site Feedback and News' started by arn, Feb 21, 2009.

1. le'deuche123

le'deuche123 Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    Looks like they did it. Looks Great. Seems to have cleared up some clutter:)

2. arn

arn Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 19, 2008
    I just did the Upcoming Games part for now. The New games thing has some flaws to the plan still.

Not sure I like it... but we'll see if we get used to it :) I don't think we can go back though... the games forum is just far too active.

arn

3. le'deuche123

Feb 5, 2009
    Ridiculously so!! Thanks Arn, I'm sure we'll get used to it. I was using the search button too much in the games forum:)

4. pante

pante Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2009
    somewhere
    it's hard to use it at the moment... but we will get used to it soon i believe.

5. le'deuche123

Feb 5, 2009
    Seems to be working very well. The upcoming games section doesn't move near as much. I like that as I hate having to search for new posts on a topic that's been buried under 200 threads.

6. Coral

Coral Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    The old games section was about as cut-throat as the appstore itself. If your thread didn't get posts then it was lost in the rush. I think the addition of new sections will help out a lot.

7. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    I'm sure this will grow on me, for now it feels kind of foriegn. Glad you are changing though to keep things tidy and up to date.

8. pablo19

pablo19 Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2008
    Can the lounge be higher up?, it gets a lot more visitors than the devs section, and maybe even the jailbreak section

9. schooze

schooze Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2008
    Glad to see this being implimented but is there anyway the Upcoming Games forum could still be in the iPhone and iPod touch games section either as a link or a tab. Also, any chance of implementing the Game Suggestions forum.

10. coconutbowling

coconutbowling Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Student
    Pennsylvania
    Woah, I just noticed the new forum. That's cool and things should be more organized. Thanks arn.

11. DarthPuma

DarthPuma Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2009
    Honestly, I'm not a fan of the forum split. Yes, it reduces clutter, I don't like switching between the two forums for information.

I think a much more effective way to reduce clutter would be to crack down on "should I buy this or that" threads and multiple threads on the same topic. I don't see many moderators on these boards, and I know there are people here qualified enough and more than willing to be one. More mods would mean the pointless threads would be shut down quick, and thus reducing clutter.

12. ibelongintheforums

ibelongintheforums Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    If u want more mods I nominate SPMwinkel although I think the mods are doing great.

13. spmwinkel

spmwinkel Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Moderators don't really need to close and remove threads that have no point, their first responsibility is to deal with spam, offensive posts and possibly keeping the forum 'clean' by merging two threads about the same subjects that are created around the same time.

So while long-time visitors may be annoyed by the "what should I buy" topics, they don't fall into the category that should be removed I believe. I do seem to see less of them by the way. It's been worse!

And also - the fact that you don't see mods don't mean that they're not doing their work. I can imagine that if you're a mod, you're already spending a lot of time on the forum 'moderating' and you'll post a bit less.

Thanks for your faith in me. ;) At this point I think the mods are doing a good job, I help them by reporting posts that need to be taken care of. Everyone can do that! :)

14. DarthPuma

DarthPuma Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2009

I would consider those, "what should I buy" topics to be spam. The board would be much cleaner if there was a rule against it, and if we made an official "Help me choose what to buy thread" then both parties would be happy.

On all the other boards I've been on, mods are active in the community. I assumed that since I never see a mod posting that we must not have very many mods on the board.

15. GatorDeb

GatorDeb Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2009
    Las Vegas, NV, USA
    I don't like the split :( Now I have to visit two forums. I think it would have been better to just let users change titles and make a thread when it's coming out and then just change the title that it's out.

16. schooze

schooze Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2008
    Thats why I proposed this:
    If the Games Forum had a tab or link at the top for the Upcoming Games Forum, it would be great for those of us who browse on our iPod or iPhone.

17. pablo19

pablo19 Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2008
    I agree with gatordeb, and schooze!

18. Diablohead

Diablohead Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2009
    Freelancer, PC game developer
    I like the new split, just going to bed and waking up 8-10 hours later and there is 2+ new pages in the released app's forum, splitting up prerelease and released app's was a good move imo.

19. Zincous

Zincous Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Yeah it seems to be working out well so far.

I like being able to go to a designated area where I'll know what I'll find specifically.

Just wish there was an easier way to switch between all the subforms. Or a SpyTA thing ;):D