Universal Mission Europa (by Bansheesoft)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Haruhi, Mar 16, 2011.

1. icepulse

icepulse Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Yes, but he's asking a question.

What is so great about this game, specifically, to justify graphics that look positively 3 generations old?
    Tell him a little about the depth.

It's a fair question.

2. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    #282 drelbs, Mar 16, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2011
    Similar to Necromancer Rising (which you can snag free today thanks to this game's release) while the character graphics are fairly simple, everything else is very well done - level graphics/sound and especially the gameplay is silky smooth and a lot of fun. Not to mention the depth that this title has.

It's a title that really grows on you. Not as pretty as N.O.V.A. (which I also enjoyed) but it's not as "follow the arrow, shoot some baddies" wash/rinse/repeat as that title.

It's been great so far for me!

My only gripe so far is that this button seems to be missing from my menu screen:
    [​IMG]

3. jjjmedia

jjjmedia Well-Known Member

May 27, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    #283 jjjmedia, Mar 16, 2011
    +1

In this post-Infinity Blade gaming scene, graphics are the initial hook for the broader audience who hasn't been following this game's development for the last year+. Without a lite version, it's hard to sell this game on just the gameplay factor alone, so hopefully a lite version will come out soon.

Of course gameplay is most important to a lot of players, and we just wanna know why this one's special.

4. SouL_DragooN

SouL_DragooN Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Architecture for money Games for Fun
    Mansfield Texas
    #284 SouL_DragooN, Mar 16, 2011
    No Problem man.. I am actually really happy with the launch so far... with the sheer amount of assets and code things look pretty good! =)

I could add an option for health bars. I use them to target who needs to die next in later levels. Seriously with a swarm coming at you they maybe needed =)

Keep the suggestions coming. Would love to hear what people love about it ;)..

Has anyone Dropped a Hell Guard yet or Defeated Reyem Neas?

Update: I took several weeks to make a lite version of Necro and had 0 boost in sales sadly. So I doubt I will go that direction. I would rather put time into the Arena most likely. ;)

HAHA drelbs =) nice =)

5. icepulse

Aug 7, 2008
    Right... but what's so deep about it?

6. Found a grammar/spelling bug in one dialog box and an HTML encoding bug in the mailbox when communicating with Doom. Honestly, did you have anyone with an education and/or basic understanding of the English language actually READ the text in the dialog boxes?

Game seems to have a memory leak somewhere or some really bad code that's causing crashes on various phone models. I'm running it on an iPhone 4 w/iOS 4.3 and all other apps closed and it still crashes occasionally.

Attached Files:

7. LawLessLove

LawLessLove Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Sad. Dissapointed. :(

8. SouL_DragooN

Jan 12, 2010
    Mansfield Texas
    I am still trying to get your presents to you lawlesslove.. check your messages.. there has to be something blocking your internet access imo.. check messages. ;)

9. icepulse

Aug 7, 2008
    Sure.

I mean, for me, aesthetics are very important. I'm a very visual person.

The argument that graphics aren't important reminds me of the comic book freaks that buy the most butt-ugly comics on the shelf, and then (in the most self-important manner) cry "I only care about the writing".

Then go read some Faulkner, genius! Why read comics? Comics are a melding of art and writing. Both components must be equally impressive. I have no use for horrible art.

So these clods walk out of the shop with $150 worth of books a WEEK. I mean, is that what you call a discriminating reader?

It's the same w/ games. If it doesn't look good, it only says to me "lazy".

10. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Not trying to play the devil's advocate, (well, ok, maybe I am a little, but keep in mind I'm interested in the game and trying to decide which, if any, version to get) but if I understand correctly: Collector's Edition gives you the full game. Standard Edition gives you 1/5th of the game with the rest to be purchased via IAP. If this is the case, how is the Standard Edition basically not a paid lite?

11. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Soul_DragooN,

Not sure if you saw my earlier post (think you did because you did answer about not doing a lite version). But could you comment on my first question? I'm still confused as to whether the Standard edition includes "50 hours of gameplay, 5 episodes and 170 missions". I understand the collector's edition includes 5 episodes so are those addtional missions (meaning 10 total?).

Really interested in the game, but can't afford the Collector's Edition at this point and so want to understand what you really get in the Standard Edition.

12. Also, I still haven't received any items in my mailbox. When Doom emailed me (see pic in separate post above) it did say receiving items or something like that but nothing ever appeared on-screen or in my inventory. Odd.

13. SouL_DragooN

Jan 12, 2010
    Mansfield Texas
    The art is spread out over 50 levels 300+ bad guys 150+ weapons 100+ skills and effects.. In games that are very shiny you will notice the same thing over and over as the concentrated on one asset until it was as shiny as possible. Not an excuse I love those games also =) Just an answer as to where and how.. Really its not like it is an Atari game. ;)

[​IMG]

14. SouL_DragooN

Jan 12, 2010
    Mansfield Texas
    If it was a skill it went to your skills inventory a weapon your weapon inventory etc.. ;)

15. mekanikal fiend

mekanikal fiend Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2010
    im on mission 7 now. loving it! just got the doom spud launcher and am on mission 7, im starting to run REAL low on health potions, i see them for sale at the store, but they are very expensive. almost 500 gold each. is there a heal spell or skill? i only have about 1200 gold, and 2 potions isnt really going to do much... my name is MEKANIK thanks!

16. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    I can appreciate the eye-candy arguement - Infinity Blade is mostly a suped-up Punch Out with experience/money grinding, and it's visuals/presentation really make the game.

I guess the depth in Mission Europa might be more favorably compared to System Shock 2 - a first person shooter which has a full RPG stats engine, the ability to take apart items like scavenging ammo from weapons, and even building your own gear from the items you've found. In addition to a variety of weapons there are skills you can use - in many ways I found the medieval setting in Ryan's first game more fitting as you had all this magic to fire off. There is still plenty of shooting action, but a lot more to tinker with as well.

I also enjoy the boss characters and their introductions - the first game wouldn't have been the same without Rot Gut! :)

That's why I like the game - that doesn't mean you will like it. :eek:

Necromancer Rising is FREE right now - play it for at least a couple of levels, then imagine similar in a Sci Fi setting with static missions/levels, a much more polished UI and online play.

17. Rylin

Rylin Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    To the poster wondering if the game is addicting or not based on its graphics, just go play Minecraft. The game will grow on you the more you play it and the graphics hold up quite well and provide enough visual quality to understand the type of atmosphere Ryan was developing for.

I'm currently on mission 18 and just about lvl 7 and loving every minute. ;)

18. Sent you a PM.

19. SouL_DragooN

Jan 12, 2010
    Mansfield Texas
    Mekan there are several healing and protection abilities.. Equip a good shield and gun combo as the shield is a HUGE amount of your armor.. just put it on and check your armor stat =)

20. medianotzu

medianotzu Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2009
    To that end, I've got a legendary flame shield but it doesn't display any armor value...does that mean it simply has a value that is too awesome to chart? :D

And also Ryan, did you see my earlier question about a ballistics ammo blueprint? Does one exist, and if not, would you consider adding one to the game for us (virtual) gun nuts?