Need coding help and suggestions for new game.

Discussion in 'Developer Services and Trade' started by Joker13z, May 30, 2009.

1. Joker13z

Joker13z Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2009
    Hey all. Many years ago I ran an online MMORPG called Empires Online based of of the First Star Online engine that I bought from a dev way back. It has simple top-down 2d graphics and was all created with Macromedia Director in lingo coding language. Here is the website for the game that has a few screenshots for the game and some of the basics of playing the game to get an idea of what it is.

http://www.empiresonline.net

I have personally not done any coding on the game and do not have any experience programming. My team back then handled the coding for me. The reason i'm posting on here is because I was wondering if it would be at all possible to code this game for the iphone and ipod touch. Almost all of the controls in the game and done with a mouse click and the space button or enter button so I don't believe there would be much a problem with controls. After playing Zenonia, I believe an interface like what they have would be perfect for this type of game.

One thing I am really worried about would be the online portion of this game. Could this at all be possible on the iphone and ipod touch? Maybe on different servers and such?

Please give me any feedback at all on the possibilities of making this game run on an ipod touch. I would need to hire a coder to join and work with me if it is. I have people who can do sprites and artwork. Also I am sorry if this is in the wrong section and please move immediately if it is.

2. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    An online multiplayer game is easily possible. It's just maintaining the servers that seems to be the problem. With the 3.0 update, I think things will improve though. I am not very experienced with developing on the iPhone, so I am sorry, I can't help you.

But good luck with the game, It sounds like a good idea. The app store needs some more RPG and MMORPG games, so I'm sure if you made a good one, it would sell really well

3. Chronical

Chronical Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    St. Gallen, Switzerland
    hm. I don't think that game would be a hit on the appstore.
    There's that app "war generation" which I really like, but I don't think I'd like one with warriors and stuff.
    It's just how I see it ;)
    Sure it would be possible - look at war generation, it's barely the same.

4. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    #4 LBG, May 31, 2009
    Last edited: May 31, 2009
    No he isn't talking about a turn based strategy game like 'War Generation' (which doesn't have online multiplayer btw) or 'Uniwar' with the online element, which would make it a MMOTBS (Massively Multiplayer Online Turn Based Strategy).

He is thinking about making a MMORPG (Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game), with similar gameplay to that of Zelda, Pokemon, Zennonia etc, but with online multiplayer instead of just singleplayer. Games such as World of Warcraft or Runescape are good examples of MMORPGs and that is along the lines of what he wants. But obviously, given the limitations of the iDevice, it may have to be a scaled down MMORPG.

Welcome to Touch Arcade anyway :)

5. MyLilPWNY

MyLilPWNY Well-Known Member

May 18, 2009
    i cant really help you but if you made that game on the iphone/touch i would buy it for sure, it looks awesome

6. Joker13z

Joker13z Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2009
    Yeah I'm talking about an mmorpg. He's explained it exactly. :) Thanks for the input so far guys. My main problem so far is finding out how hard it would be to translate the Lingo code my game is run in to whatever coding is used for the iphone. If it's near impossible and will take massive amounts of time or I would just have to start from scratch I may not have the resources to do that with :(. What language are iphone and ipod touch apps written in btw? I'm completely new at app development as you can tell.

7. codepunk

codepunk Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2009
    That is fairly easy to answer the code would nearly 100% be a from scratch deal.