iPhone Rex Rocket (by Castle Pixel)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ojtitus, Apr 18, 2015.

1. gemineye62

gemineye62 Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2010
    I'm really having a blast playing Rex Rocket!
    The Electro bot gave me some grief. It took me 4 days to take the stinker down.
    The Slime Mech had me stumped for just a short while but,I was able take advantage of an Ai flaw
    and win the day.

Onward Ho!

2. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    Congratulations on the 4.5 review from Shaun!

3. jfleschler

jfleschler Member

Jul 31, 2012
    Thanks! We are really excited about it!

On another note, I picked up an MFi controller today and have it partially working in game! Hopefully I can get it to 100% quickly.

4. Luciano1084

Luciano1084 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2014
    Don't mind the touch controls one bit but this might make me purchase a mifi controller.. 88% done with the game and it's been an awesome experience.. I've probably said this ten times but thanks for porting over to iOS

5. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    I'm going to play the game a second time with mfi controls after I beat it with the touch controls. And I never play a game through twice! :)

6. fatkit

fatkit Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Hopefully you guys would try to make it universal so many of us could play on Iphone as well:)

7. Duivs

Duivs Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2013
    Guess what? Classified.
    Classified.
    Okay I'm not going to lie, I find the controls irritating.
    Especially when trying to talk to a drone that doesn't come within talking distance very often, and you miss the tiny talk button by a pixel.
    It would be cool being able to adjust the size of the move stick, because it's pretty uncomfortable for me at the moment.

Seems like a good hardcore game though. Looking forward to playing more.

8. cplr

cplr Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    Which model controller? The quality varies between devices.. Right now the Mad Catz CTRLi and Steelseries XL are the two good ones.

9. coolpepper43

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    What are you using? The info buttons works well on my iPad Air.

10. macplash

macplash Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    What the hell?! I bought this game today after I read the review on TA knowing it supposed to be hard even though I'm a casual gamer, but I can't even make it through first boss. I mean, if it's even a boss, that green slime snake or something like that. I tried like 15-20 times but my best achievement was to decrease his health by 1/3.. Am I doing something terribly wrong or the game's just simply not for me? I've even had a hard time to jump higher using the blaster. I don't know, I've got mixed feelings. All the praise in the comments here, positive reviews and whatnot and I just feel I'm missing something. It's pretty much unplayable for me with its current level of difficulty. Is there a way to lower it? Do I need to upgrade my weapon, level up my character.. Anything? :(

11. coolpepper43

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    #131 coolpepper43, Apr 28, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2015
    There are Heath and ammo quantity upgrades through out the spaceship. Did you pick up any of those before fighting the first boss?

12. Luciano1084

May 8, 2014
    I'd say the game isn't hard.. It's REALLY hard.. Definitely not for casual gamers in my opinion.. Some of the platforming sections and bosses take extreme skill.. You definitely need to find the upgrades scattered through out the ship to advance.. If your having trouble with the first boss it gets amped up considerably once you get to the third and fourth boss.. Sorry to burst your bubble..

I finally beat the crusherbot, feel pretty darn great about it.. Lauren is tough as hell though ##

13. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    #133 macplash, Apr 28, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2015
    coolpepper43 I picked up some stuff on my way to the first boss, yes. Something yellow and green. Is there a screen to modify my character somehow? Or is that supposed to be happening automatically? Honestly, I have no idea what I'm doing. But I can't witstand more than a few spits from that creature. I'm hoping for some leveling system so I can grind a lot and overpower myself before important fights like this. But I sense this is not gonna be a case. I was never a fan of games with one default difficulty because there's no way to balance it as good as it fits just everybody. I'm afraid this game is just too much for me...

luciano1084 no problem, you don't have to be sorry. I somehow expected this is just too much for me, I just succumbed to the pressure of majority I guess. It's not a big deal though. I like the style and music. I'm glad I did support the developer with the purchase. I'm just definitely looking for something more causal instead of constantly frustrate myself by repeated failings on very first boss fight, so yeah..

14. coolpepper43

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    Ya, there's no way to upgrade your stats like that. This game is pretty hardcore. I wish I could give you some tips on how to defeat the first boss but I forgot how the boss moves.

15. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    coolpepper43 I figured out I just need to shoot him in the head, but it doesn't matter since I can't withstand his spitting attack. In the addition, he's just constantly sending bats and some zombie-like walkers to attack me between his spits. I understand I'm supposed to avoid the spits and shoot for the head, it's just too hectic, too difficult. I doubt there's any secret hint to make the fight easier for me. But I appreciate the effort.

16. Luciano1084

May 8, 2014
    @macplash: Yeah it looks like a fun, innocent little platformer.. Then you advance 10 minutes into the game and realize it's no joke lol.. This game really pays homage to the old school platformers of the 80's and 90's... Most of them difficult as hell also.. I hope you keep at it.. With the bosses it's all about recognizing their attack patterns.. Happy gaming brother ###

17. Luciano1084

May 8, 2014
    I just beat Lauren! Awesome, awesome game.. Every boss you beat feels like a true accomplishment.. Now I'm going to explore the ship and afterwards try a speed run..

18. Duivs

Duivs Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2013
    Guess what? Classified.
    Classified.
    Mash the attack button!
    Mash it!
    Hard!

19. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    My sensitive and fragile Apple devices would strongly disagree with you if it was up to them;) Anyway, I'm trying. But it seems it's not enough I guess because I'm still at the same place as earlier...

20. DeNappa

DeNappa Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Oct 1, 2013
    Netherlands
    I must say i'm pretty impressed so far.
    A few things tho:
    - performance: (I'm playing on an iPad mini 1st gen). Loading times seem a bit long, especially when first starting. Also it sometimes seems to lag a little bit when there's lots of action on screen
    - controls: takes a bit to get used to, but sill a bit clunky. I still miss the 'shoot' button at times.
    - controls: i've had occassions where Rex kept moving in one direction
    - ui: just now i reached the mech suit(?) and after entering it i jumped up for the info node. When i pressed the info node i couldnt close the popup any more