iPhone Shadowrun: Dragonfall - Director's Cut (by Harebrained Schemes LLC)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by killercow, Dec 3, 2014.

1. CharliePrince

CharliePrince Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2012
    wish they'd add iphone 6plus capability :( sigh

2. bluspacecow

bluspacecow Well-Known Member

May 3, 2012
    First timer to the Shadowrun Franchise here.

iPad Air user.

Do I need to buy Shadowrun Returns to get a sense of the plot , story , characters and/or lore or can I jump right in with Shadownrun Dragonfall ?

I google'd / wikipedia'd something about Dragonfall being an expansion for Shadowrun Returns. Does this mean the campaigns in Shadowrun Returns are included in Dragonfall or are they effectively two seperate games ?

Which would you recommend as a jumping off point for a first time Shadowrun RPG'er ?

3. brerlappin

brerlappin Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2009
    You can jump right in as they're different games within the same universe.

Originally Dragonfall was IAP in Shadowrun Returns but it was later changed to a Director's Edition standalone app for all platforms.

The gameplay mechanics are more polished in the new one so it's a good place to start... But Returns is on sale so you might want to get it too and save it for later.

4. HBS_Jeff

HBS_Jeff Active Member

Sep 26, 2013
    #124 HBS_Jeff, Dec 8, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2014
    @Spinda,
    Shadowrun Dragonfall - Directors Cut has been optimized for the iPad 3 and up so performance on the iPad 3 may suffer some but should be playable at all times. We have optimized our product as much as we can but on some larger maps such as the Kreuzbasar performance may drop while actors are in motion, but should improve as soon as the actors stop moving.

Also to clear up any confusion concerning Fog of War and Line of Sight mentioned from my last post. FoW is only turned off for larger levels that have no combat at all. This will allow the player to pan the camera over the whole map and see all areas without walking to it. All actors and props that are not within LoS of the Player and team will be greyed out, just like in Shadowrun Returns or levels with FoW turned on. Actors and props will come into view only as the Player moves around the map and makes LoS.

P.S. Nice name, that is one of my favorite pokemon!

5. JMan121314

JMan121314 Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2014
    I just found shadowrun now and started by getting Shadowrun Returns. I must admit it's pretty fun and I think I will pick up Dragonfall once I finish it.

Unfortunately I have an iPad 3 so hopefully the performance is not too bad for me :)

6. Luciano1084

Luciano1084 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2014
    Bought this game 3 days ago and still haven't played.. Diving in tonight for sure.. Xcom is occupying most of my time lately lol

7. Spinda

Spinda Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2013
    Why not just reduce map size? I really don't understand why the U-Bahn deserves its own map. Or why there's a transition map from the garage(?) to the hideout.

Or why there are special poster sprites (walking near a wall, poster appears out of nowhere) I know it "adds flavor" but whatever flavor is added seems to just be taken away by the graphical hiccups of people popping in and out.

As for enemies reappearing, in the first part of the hotel mission. Specifically when speaking to the guy about getting the keycard. The gangster north of him will disappear once combat begins and only pop into existence when he moves near enough.

8. JMan121314

Apr 9, 2014
    #128 JMan121314, Dec 9, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2014
    I actually bought Shadowrun because it's like xcom (in the combat) but it also has a creative universe and story.

9. vilenurgle

vilenurgle Member

Mar 13, 2014
    None I'm a bum
    Ny ny
    I have a glitch where after my characters help Dietrich get his nephew back my main character becomes Dietrich but when I go to safe house Dietrich is also there it seems I lose my character

10. ironsam80

ironsam80 Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    Are the maps so lightless for everyone? I made a comparison between the appstore screenshots (not the PC version) and my iPad Air, and i see a lot of differences. Maybe they took screenshots from the PC version to use for the promotion but i don't see why iPad Air can't handle the lighting i am seeing on the AppStore screenshots. I know it's not big deal but i love the neon light atmosphere of the SR universe...

Attached Files:

11. HBS_Jeff

HBS_Jeff Active Member

Sep 26, 2013
    @Spinda,
    The map sizes I am referring to are all maps that a Player can visit, or see (in the case of the DVDs) between loading screens. The U-Bahn, hideout, cafe, and bar are all part of the Kreuzbasar for example. As the is simply more map on each level this takes up more active memory.
    As for the popping that you keep referencing I can only assume that this is caused by changes to LoS as the Players are walking around a map. This is something that will happen on any level if the Player knows what to look for and where to look for it. If you feel that you are seeing something in error please contact us at [email protected] and we will work with you to see what the issue is.

@Vilenurgle,
    Thank you for reporting this issue, our testers have been notified of this issue and we will begin looking into reproducing this issue. While we are doing this you may want to Restart the level that this issue occurred in, or Rewind back to the beginning of that level. This should revert you back to your original character.

12. Spinda

Spinda Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2013
    #132 Spinda, Dec 10, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2014
    That's kind of my point.

I don't see why the U-Bahn map and the initial transition map are necessary if the game is already taxing on resources that you need to remove some of the game's functionality.

What gameplay purpose does the U-Bahn map serve as opposed to say turning the trigger leading to it into the one that leads to the next mission? (instead of going into the U-Bahn, clicking the train, the player clicks the U-Bahn then the prompt for the next mission loads)

Why not have the team pop into the hideout right away?

The mobile games is already stripped down version of the game (being unable to play UGC and the lack of an editor isn't really worth the $2 drop if the only campaign mobile users have access to isn't even designed to work with mobile devices without slashing the performance) So shouldn't at least the maps designs themselves been optimized for mobile devices instead of just deactivating features like manual zoom.

13. spajdr

spajdr Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2011
    Male
    Elder administrator
    Czech Republic, Ostrava
    HBS_Jeff : why just don't leave to us what we want to have enabled or disabled via some graphic menu, i'm talking about GFX effects. If we find it slow, we will disable it and not just disable it together for all models, even for Ipad Air 2, which i think can handle something more then crappy Ipad 3.

14. Brrobotix

Brrobotix Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Under your bed
    I'd like to see this as well. iDevices are all over the map in terms of processing power, the ability to customize the game's visual settings would be great. I thought Oddworld did a great job with this.

15. JMan121314

Apr 9, 2014
    I agree it would be great especially now that ios devices and apps are getting more and more seperated in terms of graphics and performance as well as all the iOS versions now.

I'm pretty sure when iOS 9 comes my iPad might not be supported lol

16. Luciano1084

May 8, 2014
    Stupid question guys, how do I enable overwatch in combat? Can't seem to figure it out.. Also it says in the options you could pinch the screen to zoom in.. That's not working for me :(...

17. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    #137 Talbs, Dec 11, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2014
    Don't think pinch to zoom is actually in the game?

I'm gonna add to this a little. It is so freakin difficult to select a tile to move to if you have guys surrounding that tile. I keep selecting the guys next to the tile and not the tile....
    Seriously. Am I missing something? If that's the way it is, it's pretty game breaking.

Edit: managed to do it. It's just super difficult.

18. Luciano1084

May 8, 2014
    Is overwatch a special ability or something? Can't figure out how to enable it.. I like this game but not being able to zoom in/out and pan the camera around is a big minus for me.. Moving into the right tile could be extremely tricky..

19. Nobunaga

Nobunaga Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2012
    I think you need at least a few points toward whatever class of gun or the base category for armed combat. Team members have the ability a little into the game. Maybe right away? Middle of the screen (above the actions you can use with selected weapon) there is a dot with a half circle above it. That's the over watch button.
    No zoom. Well, there's 2 different levels of camera zoom in options. Multiple other camera options as to whether it's fixed or not. With my setting I can easily pan the screen around. Play with the options if you can't. Game auto zooms at times during battle.
    I'd like a performance options setting too. The game is unstable and crashes at times though and if they include the option, they'll get a handful of 1 star reviews from people getting crashes because of their own actions.

Overall, this game is one of the best iPad games out there. I think even with the minor complaints and issues we can all probably agree on that. Also better in almost all ways than shadowrun returns. It is missing Jake Armitage though.

20. Luciano1084

May 8, 2014
    #140 Luciano1084, Dec 11, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2014
    Thank you sir :).. I'm going to fire it up now and look for the overwatch button.. I can pan around the map, what I meant was rotating the camera like in XCOM.. Sometimes it's tricky moving without it.. Performance wise I have no complaints.. I'm using a mini retina and everything so far has been smooth.. ;)