iPhone Sid Meier's Starships (By 2K)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, Mar 12, 2015.

1. Baracus

Baracus Well-Known Member

#121 Baracus, Mar 14, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2015
    Yes, in the settings from main menu you can switch them off.

Let me know how BE feels with latest patches later, if you can ;)
    Thinking to grab it seeing as I missed the sale for Civ 5 DLC's and Endless Legend is bugged on Mac!

PM me if you don't want to derail this thread haha, tho it might be relevant if others would buy it for the cross-connectivity aspect!

2. walmartpolice

walmartpolice Well-Known Member

May 12, 2012
    The only reason people are knocking on beyond earth is because they're comparing it to CIV5, a game that has years of polish and mods under the table lol

3. Baracus

Baracus Well-Known Member

Not really, at least nowhere near as INTENSELY that's for sure.

If you die here it's more of a mild setback (cost to repair your ships) but you never lose your ships completely. It can be a situation that's hard to recover from, but you never feel that "Nooooooooo!!!" feeling like when one of your dudes dies in X-Com

4. pka4916

pka4916 Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2009
    Male
    Wisconsin
    Started playing this game, and really like it. But I am confused about something (and maybe I am not doing it right)

After a few battles, I get like a warning 2 out of 5 ships/people are in good health bla bla bla.. it's better to abort the mission so the ships can grab all your income and your healing..
    When I do that, my people never get better... it always comes back after I get the popup with what's all collected with 2 out of 5 people....

am I doing something wrong ?

Thank you

5. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    I'm a bit confused. Are they saying you're very fatigued and should end your turn (Shore Leave) but even after doing that you're still just as fatigued?

6. JasonLL

JasonLL Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2014
    Male
    If it's your crew (bottom left) then you have to press the short leave button to restore your crews health and collect your income. If it is your ship / ships then you can repair the ships with the energy you earned from the new turn. The short leave is the end turn button of Starships.

7. pka4916

Jun 6, 2009
    Male
    Wisconsin
    Yes, that's the one..

"I'm a bit confused. Are they saying you're very fatigued and should end your turn (Shore Leave) but even after doing that you're still just as fatigued? "

Yes, I am still fatigued.

8. khann

khann Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2013
    I agree. I think the ship either needs to be destroyed, or major setback to the upgrades. Hopefully, they add this in hardcore mode.

9. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Ouch, taking shore leave is supposed to reset that! Although if you mean the ships are damaged, you'll need to pay to have them repaired.

10. Mythbuster

Mythbuster Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2008
    Journalist
    In the middle of nowhere
    I played Starships now three hours and so far I really like ist. It is deeper than Civ Rev II, on harder level the AI plays well!

I think, this game could work as good as XCom or Civ Rev on the iPhone 6+ screen ... of course the UI has to get some changes but I think it would work. So I hope, they will make this Universal.

11. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Was actually pretty funny watching the first part of the launch day stream. They had the ai on hard, and the computer made a couple of obvious blunders, like turning the rear of the ship toward the player. But then, the guy playing made a huge mistake too (moving to take a shot but forgetting he couldn't shoot that turn)

12. EnoshKasra

EnoshKasra Active Member

Jul 19, 2013
    Will this game be released in all areas? It's not available in mine.

13. Luciano1084

Luciano1084 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2014
    I dont know why multiplayer was left off.. I know sid gave an explanation as to why but this absolutely needs it.. Pretty disappointed.. As far the UI, it needs work.. Way to many times I move somewhere I don't intend to.. Other than that this game is pretty darn good.

14. Jim Shorts

Jim Shorts Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2014
    Virginia
    Ditto.

15. pka4916

Jun 6, 2009
    Male
    Wisconsin
    idk..
    Did you or anyone else have the same problem ?
    unless I am missing something... there is so much to read

16. GiHubb

GiHubb Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 27, 2010
    CEO
    Regrettably one of Sid's worse games. It gets repetitive fast with similar battles, lack of tactical depth and easy to find and exploitable AI.

I'm sad to write this as I was looking forward to it.

Check out IGN's review - they got it right this time.

17. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Yeah, it has issues and I HOPE they can address some of the AI issues.

If the devs are willing to really support it with some extra content and the public gets what they're getting into (stream lined Ace Patrol in space with some Civ Light aspects), I hope it will ascend to a 7.5/10.

18. TokyoDan

TokyoDan Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2010
    #138 TokyoDan, Mar 14, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2015
    This indie game developer thinks the combat in his game is just as good, if not better, than that of Sid Meier's Starships. I tend to agree as I have both games. And his rant is a good piece about the state of the game industry.

http://www.over00.com/index.php/archives/2781

I'm changing my post...I should have posted.."What an Indie Developer thinks about the state of the games industry". And actually it's true of many things...name brands sell and get the attention.

19. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    His game is far more interesting looking but I hate the concept of pure tactical stuff without any luck involved, like how the EXACT damage of any shot in SMS is predetermined before you even fire.

20. TokyoDan

TokyoDan Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2010