iPhone Sid Meier's Starships (By 2K)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, Mar 12, 2015.

1. TokyoDan

TokyoDan Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2010
    What game is that?

2. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    Iceupulse has clearly stated in the post right above that one

3. khann

khann Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2013
    That is horrible. That prevents long in-depth games that I like. Doesn't this make the epic map size pointless?

4. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    #164 Misguided, Mar 16, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2015
    In addition, I'd like to be able to turn individual victory conditions on or off (for both player and ai). I love the game, but this seems like a big shortcoming that shouldn't have been hard to work around. Why limit your choice to a specific victory or all and not have that choice impact the AI? From what I remember, I don't think the aviv games work that way, so why impose those limitations here?

5. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    I don't think this is entirely true. I've heard of players setting the game to a Domination victory and then they themselves winning via Wonders. Something is funky there.

6. TokyoDan

Oct 7, 2010
    Yeah. i found it.

7. khann

khann Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2013
    Yeah. Happened to me with population.

8. Deth4U2

Deth4U2 Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2009
    It's too easy to win. Take over your enemy's home world and you get every planet that's part of their society. Do that once and next turn you'll probably have enough whatever you need to buy a wonder victory.

9. klink

klink 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 22, 2013
    No thank you
    USA
    I hope you're right and Firaxis comes through the much needed updates.

10. Derrythe

Derrythe Active Member

Jan 15, 2012
    I've taken a few homeworlds before and never gotten their other planets.

11. JasonLL

JasonLL Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2014
    Male
    I hope so too :) although It's pure speculation on my part. Being partially programmed by Sid himself and watching the numerous videos before and after release with Firaxis pushing this as hard if not harder than their major titles on their YouTube just makes me think it's more his baby than Civ Rev 2 which had a lot less Firaxis involvement I believe.

12. Winko

Winko Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2011
    story?

Game looks good and I'm a big fan of turn based games. What's the story like on this though. As I think a good story would push me to the buy button!

13. JasonLL

JasonLL Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2014
    Male
    Very basic story. Your civilization has prospered on an alien planet and they discover a signal of other signs of life among the stars. You discover it was a distress signal which prompts your civilization to arm their starships to venture forth to answer the call and in turn discover other civilizations in your journeys.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OXVM0u7zpHc

In this respect it follows Civilization with just a starting story for backdrop rather than X-Com which has more of a unfolding story as you progress.

14. diegohostettler

diegohostettler Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2014
    The game feels like a early alpha version than a finished game. Hope there gonna be some patches to make up for the lack of depth.

15. Baracus

Baracus Well-Known Member

I hope so too but I seriously doubt it. It's clearly done the way he intended it to be, and adding other gameplay systems would make it a totally different game and a lot of work to hammer in at this stage. Maybe in Starships 2.0 it can be planned from the ground up to be deeper lol

Maybe I am wrong, if he hasn't got anything else to work on, he might find the way to rescue it!

16. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Congratulations, that is the most absurd comment I've seen regarding this game yet. It's fine if you don't like it, or wish the design had been different, but to compare it to an early alpha is ridiculous. It is exactly what it intended to be.

17. TokyoDan

Oct 7, 2010
    #177 TokyoDan, Mar 16, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2015
  18. trystero

trystero Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    So no iPhone version planned yah? I can see how the UI would be a challenge but...

19. JEMelby

JEMelby Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2009
    #179 JEMelby, Mar 17, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2015
    I agree with the second part of the OP [lack of depth].

I've played through about 20 times on various difficulties, now, and the outcomes are getting very predictable...

Go right, left, up or down... Get a couple planets... Make peace with everyone... Upgrade fleet to max... Maybe take the marauder or pirate homeworld ('cause they're the only ones left)... Break peace treaty and take one or two enemy homeworlds (never a non-homeworld)... Win a population/wonder/domination victory... Repeat.

20. meejahor

meejahor Member

Oct 5, 2014
    News photographer
    Finally got this game last night and happy to report it's a pretty good version of what I wanted, which is a lightweight turn-based strategy game.

Definitely needs a tutorial, though, and they need to fix the awful map scrolling that causes you to move ships when you don't mean to. I'm sure they'll fix the scrolling in an update.

If you're wanting Civ in space then this isn't it. But if you want a simple turn-based shoot-em-up with some resource management then this will probably give you what you're looking for.