iPhone Small World 2 (By Asmodee Digital)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, Apr 3, 2010.

1. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    It's actually pretty easy to get better quickly just by playing once you have a handle on the basic mechanics and take the time to consider the combinations in play, but you might find the following material helpful to get started.

Official rulebook for Small World

Universal Head rules summary and reference sheets

2. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

And they have the extended episode that includes EVERYTHING from the setup to the details of each and every move.

Add that to the rulebook and you'll be in great shape.

3. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    Thanks for the pointers in the right direction guys, I will take a look

4. Appletini

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    Days of Wonder have announced over on their website (the KS backer forum specifically) that they are now taking applications for the Small World 2 beta; you do need to be a KS backer at the Tritons level or higher to be eligible.

Because DoW don't want any SW2 KS-exclusive info given away outside of their site, head over there for all the details if you're eligible and interested.

5. andsoitgoes

Awesome! Though I was initially VERY disappointed in this not being a game release post, I'll take the potential of being a beta tester :)

It's summer, my kids are home from school and having a game like Small World to play with them would be excellent.

6. Mene

Mene <b>ACCOUNT CLOSED</b>: <em>Officially</em> Quit iO

Mar 18, 2012
    This looks interesting, is there a light version to sample it?

I have no problem with the price but I've been badly burnt recently with two board games which turned out to be total and utter wastes of my money. (Ie deleted) and they were Le Havre and Eclipse. I have to think before stamping on the buy button these days :)

7. Appletini

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    Unfortunately not, but the game as a whole is mechanically vastly more simple than Le Havre or Eclipse; the game's depth comes more from figuring out how best to use the random combinations of races and powers on offer each match, as opposed to having you try to work out which of ten different basic actions is the optimal one at any given time. SW plays a bit like a vastly more interesting version of Risk.

It is worth bearing in mind that this app will be getting a completely free overhaul update within the next couple of months (including support for 3-5 players instead of just two, high-res art, and a third expansion from the physical game as IAP), and both the base price and IAP expansion costs will be going up at that time.

Current:

[​IMG]

Upcoming:

[​IMG]

If you're interested in the game, I'd recommend picking it up before the free Small World 2 update hits and the actual app price increases.

8. Appletini

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    Sooo... the first wave of beta invites have gone out to the few lucky enough to get in. ^_^

/dance

/whistle innocently

/dance

9. andsoitgoes

My first response:

I HATE YOU SO MUCH I AM SO JEALOUS!!!

Then I checked my email...

Oh happy day!!

Now when the heck will they get around to launching it?!? I know there are things that have to be put in place...

[​IMG]

10. Appletini

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    We're doing suspiciously well then, considering that each wave of the beta is only going to add 10-12 people. ^_^

I may have to... add people for onlineness. >_>

11. andsoitgoes

I think the two of us might have some skill with using our words to put us above a lot of those who might just say "but I wanna!"

I totally exploited my kids...

The things I'll do to get games early! Okay well this game. Seriously, we could be playing SW2 before we realize it! I feel like I'm 12 again and Christmas is just about here, but they haven't told us the day they're holding Christmas, just that it's very soon and to be prepared!

I would love if they had the ability to have local spots and online combined, that would be cool.

12. tarasis

tarasis Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2011
    I wanted to beta test it but purposely didn't apply as I have other things I _should_ be doing first. I haven't waited as long as others, I can wait a little longer for SW2.

13. andsoitgoes

That's a pretty mature way to handle things.

I so couldn't restrain myself even if that was the case, I can't wait any longer. It's been 3... Years... So... Many... Years.

14. Appletini

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    Well, I have the capacity to beta test and do the other stuff I need to do in my life, so I'm good; I couldn't pass on a chance to help out with SW2 either. ^_-

15. Drakeer Melkhor

Drakeer Melkhor Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2010
    Freelance
    Spain
    As a kickstarter backer I am jealous too! :p

I can't wait to play online with this game! :eek:

16. tarasis

tarasis Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2011
    Nice :)

If I wasn't a stay a at home dad with two kids off school I might have more time :)

17. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Canada
    So just bought this and I'm lost. Is there a good online instruction video or manual? Kind of weird how the AI makes his move with the table upside down but I'm sure I'll adjust to that.

18. andsoitgoes

I'm a part of the beta, and while I'm not able to talk about much, I can say this will be rectified when they launch the update.

My best suggestion would be to watch the TableTop episode to really get it, and I promise you will have a better understanding of it (it really isn't all that complicated once you play a game or two)

Short "edited" episode (30 minutes):

19. mekanikal fiend

mekanikal fiend Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2010
    so whens the update gonna hit for us lowly regular peeps?

20. klink

klink 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 22, 2013
    No thank you
    USA
    #260 klink, Jul 23, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2013
    Days of Wonder said during the kick starter campaign that it was targeted for an August release. Hopefully that's still true. I'm completely addicted to Ticket of Ride and can't wait for this game to get properly updated! (Thanks Appletini)