iPhone Small World 2 (By Asmodee Digital)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, Apr 3, 2010.

1. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    That's Days of Wonder, not Worlds of Wonder, and the current plan is for a September release.

2. klink

klink 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 22, 2013
    No thank you
    USA
    iOS Board Games has a preview video posted for Small World 2. It looks great and it sounds like it will be released very soon. I'm totally stoked!

3. famousringo

famousringo Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2011
    Awesome. I'd better re-install so I can see that update right when it hits. :D

4. Ubisububi

Ubisububi Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2009
    California
    That's the difference between a "job" and a "career." With a career, your time is never truly yours, and knowing when to say "no" is a necessary skill.

Count yourself lucky!

5. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

What are you talking about exactly? I can't tell if you are trying to be be a one-upper, or are commending him for saying no..

6. CaptLudd

CaptLudd Well-Known Member

May 1, 2013
    2 questions. 1st, i noticed in a watch-it-played vid that you can take all of your units off the board abandoning territory to re- invade somewhere else on the board. This tactic does not seem to be available on the ipad, am i correct? And 2cd, after the upgrade to small world 2, will you still be able to play with just 2 players or will the minimum game be with 3 players. Thanks in advance, i am a new player to this game,never playing on tabletop. Only had an Ipad mini since christmas just past and still figureing out what this platform does well and what the good games are, and where the best community of players hang out.

7. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Welcome to TA, CaptLudd,

Being part of the SW2 beta I think I'm allowed to state that you can still play 2 players and you most definitely can abandon regions at the start of your turn to then use the freed armies to invade somewhere else with the only penalty being that you'll no longer be able to count the abandoned regions for vps.

8. CaptLudd

May 1, 2013
    Thank you for the quick response. Been lurking around the TA forums with a few posts here and there but not actively. Seems like a good group for the most part. I like TA reviews though they really try to put just about any FtP IAPS in the best possible light, however understand that it comes with the territory. You will not see me online much since i am pretty crap at video games in general and the A.I. In most of the games keep me amused. Actually i think that SW2 might be the 1st one i try online as i am picking it up quickly, unlike say Frozen Synaspse, which though i enjoy it don't get well enough to be good competition. So when do you think SW2 will hit the market?

9. ipad2user

ipad2user Well-Known Member

May 9, 2013
    Got my eye on this game, looks really good.

The current price is juuuuuust slightly outside my comfort zone as theres no light or trial version to sample it with.

I'll keep watching in the hope of just a slight drop. £3 is worth a punt to me, £5 is just a little outside my comfort zone with a game with no trial.

10. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

Ipad2 user strikes again!

The update is coming free of charge, and the game was on sale previously for $2.99 at the end of May to sort of push those on the fence over.

There are multiple game play videos of this, and Tabletop has a 30 minute episode dedicated to the game. Heck, there's even a 2.5 hour "full" edition to get an even better feel.

Because I don't have anyone close to play board games with (at least more obscure ones like Gloom, Munchkin, Dixit) I often have to just risk it and try it out. Except instead of it being $6, it's usually $40+. I've done my research beforehand and I don't often get burned.

But balking at this game is like balking at Carcassonne or Ticket To Ride. Just 5 minutes will tell you all you need to know about the game that is small world, still one of the best board games on the App Store, and in the top 10 in regards to the adaptation.

11. Appletini

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    DoW actually intend to increase the price of the base app and all IAP expansions when the update hits.

12. klink

klink 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 22, 2013
    No thank you
    USA
    The release for SW2 must be close, correct?

13. Mene

Mene <b>ACCOUNT CLOSED</b>: <em>Officially</em> Quit iO

Mar 18, 2012
    Been on the fence a long time with this one..
    Am very tempted but I seem to have a love-hate thing with them.

Either I love them and play them like crazy (Ticket to Ride, Phantom Leader)
    or I never understand them and they are a totally wasted purchase (Eclipse, Le Havre)

14. Appletini

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    September 12.

15. klink

klink 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 22, 2013
    No thank you
    USA
    Very cool, thank you!

16. klink

klink 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 22, 2013
    No thank you
    USA

This game is much closer to Ticket to Ride than Eclipse. It's easy to pick up and it plays pretty quickly. I think it's harder to master though because it has a lot of depth with the different race/abilities combinations. I'm not very good at it and I'm sure I'll be an easy victory once the online multiplayer update is released.

17. CaptLudd

May 1, 2013
    #277 CaptLudd, Aug 31, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2013
    You are not the only one, don't feel bad! I am winning only 40% against the A.I. that some say is way too easy.-:)))
    I also can not see playing a 3 or 4 player game with just myself and bots. You would be shoved off the board every turn!

18. CaptLudd

May 1, 2013
    #278 CaptLudd, Sep 1, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2013
    So i finish a game this morning (a win, yay) and after hit the bottom icon on the main menu "board game" and it takes me to a web site where it appears that you can register and play online. It does not appear to cost money but i did not register due to time constraints. Anyone else notice this? Also i notice that the champions list only the top 15 games based on the highest winning score. It would be nice if there were some statistics kept at least a win/loss for games say based on how many players in game?

19. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    It's Days of Wonder's online system. You can also play Memoir '44, Gangs of Four, and Ticket to Ride. As a matter of fact, Ticket to Ride iPad uses those servers for online play which is why there are always tons of players online.

Once Small World gets the 2.0 update it wouldn't surprise me if it used the Days of Wonder servers as well.

20. vogelmann

vogelmann Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2012
    Cologne, Germany
    I just watched the preview video on BGG. Looks very promising. But I wonder what happened to the "Story Mode"? In the video on their kickstarter campaign there was a field with the inscription "Story Mode". Now, in the build that we can see in the preview video, the Story Mode seems to be missing. Maybe one of the beta testers can say something about this topic?