Universal Super Mario Run

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by TouchArcade Bot, Sep 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    I don't get why an internet connection being required is such a huge issue to so many people here apparently, do you all live in a nuclear bunker or something? If it doesn't use much data I don't see what the issue is on a rare occasion where you couldn't play it.

It's not like you can take your console out with you and play it ((not until the switch anyway)) I don't hear people bitching that their PlayStation 4 needs to be plugged in and can't be played when you go out on a bus or whatever.

I hadn't played anything Nintendo since probably the N64 until about 6 months back where I picked up the Wii u and a pile of game and I'm looking forward to this one on iOS. Everyone has their own oppionion but I still believe Nintendo are the best game maker out there who's games are often the most creative and fun I just think they have suffered as people have forgotten that and gone onto PlayStation and Xbox and consider Nintendo for kids

2. Intendro

Intendro Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2013
    #182 Intendro, Dec 10, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2016
    What are you saying?
    This is a portable system! Internet requirement is disabling portability!
    This argument makes no sense!
    :confused:

3. Dankrio

Dankrio Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jun 3, 2014
    #183 Dankrio, Dec 10, 2016
    I was so excited for it, until online-only. I see no point in doing this on single player.

I've to think twice about buying it now. It was a sure instabuy. Well...

Edit: probably gonna instabuy anyway, but but...

4. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    #184 ste86uk, Dec 10, 2016
    You are aware there's internet outdoors right? Unless you only have an iPod touch and in that case you shouldn't complain because it's your fault for not having a device with a network connection. I've got an iPad, iPhone and iPod touch and internet connections don't bother me in the slightest on the rare occasion I'm somewhere without wifi or a network connection I simply play something else.

Part of my point was you don't complain about what you can't do with a console why complain about what you can't do with an app. You can play it at home and outdoors with the proper equipment in most cases, so I don't see why it's such a life changing issue to so many people?

If anyone can educate me as to why it's so evil to require a connection?

5. fulcizombie

fulcizombie Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2011
    Come on , it's Nintendo fans what do you expect ? Nintendo doesn't even give them a true Mario title, just a runner and they are treating it as the second coming , you can't seriously argue with them . Nintendo should have priced SMR 30$ , at least , they are leaving good money on the table since most of these people would defend any price and buy it . In this regard Nintendo is generous:D

6. senkoujin

senkoujin Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2013
    NOTE: I'm speaking from a consumer point-of-view

It's not evil, it's inconvenient.

There are people in this world who don't give a rat's ass about multiplayer/leaderboards/world rankings functionality; we just want to play and enjoy the damn game at our own convenience, especially for the single-player aspect.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1. We don't want to wait for the server to load data when it could be loaded locally.
    2. We don't want to spend $10 on intangible software (goodbye server? Then goodbye game, time, and money spent).
    3. We want to be able to play ANYTIME and ANYWHERE without limitations or interruptions.
    4. We don't want to further lessen our device's battery integrity.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In my humble opinion, the online-only requirement should only pertain to the multiplayer and IAP aspects of games, ESPECIALLY for predominately single-player games.

7. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    The most sane and rationally laid out argument. Thank you.

8. Dankrio

Patreon Silver

Jun 3, 2014
    senkoujin summed it up perfectly.

I am going to buy the game anyway, but the online-only feature is probably going to make me enjoy less the experience. Is it game breaking? No. But definitely inconvenient.

9. LordShad0wz

LordShad0wz Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2014
    I actually have wifi in my nuclear shelter. Along with lots of twinkles and survival food. And of course the essentials like my pain meds and insulin. Lol

If the end comes I'll be playing Super Mario Run happy

10. Wizard_Mike

Wizard_Mike Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2011
    Texas
    I agree with your other points, but wanted to offer a different take on this one. Even if this game were completely offline, it would eventually stop working due to iOS updates. Nintendo isn't going to keep updating and supporting the game forever. Everything on the App Store is "intangible software" that will eventually stop working, especially with Apple's new stance on weeding out non-updated apps from the App Store.

11. LordShad0wz

Nov 19, 2014
    Plus this is going to be Nintendo's signature app. I doubt they will ever leave it to rot or shut it down. Nintendo doesn't like to lose. I bet the game will be supported for many years. I'm sure they will add more levels during anniversaries and I bet there will be tie ins down the road. They've planned this out. Everyone's eyes are on this.

Billy

12. Montanx

Montanx Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2012
    San Diego
    Still laughing at the hype from this hoopla. 10 bucks for a reskinned rayman jungle run with a tacked on pseudo base building mini game. So hyped they had a notify icon tricking people into thinking it was available months ago. Sure I'll DL it, but doubtful it's that revolutionary that I spend AAA mobile money on basically a less interactive Mikey shorts with better graphics.

13. Wizard_Mike

Wizard_Mike Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2011
    Texas
    Yeah, I can't see them dropping support for it for a long, long time. It will inevitably happen, but not for years. I have no doubts I'll get my $10 worth out of it. To be honest (and go against the common feeling around this game), I suspect this game is going to feel like a steal for $10 when comparing the amount of content to other hand held Mario games.

14. Dankrio

Patreon Silver

Jun 3, 2014
    Excellent point!

15. Dankrio

Patreon Silver

Jun 3, 2014
    It's funny how much you know about the game even before it is released. Did you time travel?

It doesn't need to be revolutionary. As long as it is fun that's okay in my book.

And it is a shame that devs can't charge more on Appstore.

16. Intendro

Intendro Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2013
    #196 Intendro, Dec 10, 2016
    This is ridiculous.
    What if I don't want to play something else?
    Why am I forced to not play what I want to?
    I'm not buying it if it doesn't work. It is supposed to work.

"Just play something else when your game is non-functional."
    This argument makes no sense.

I'm a Nintendo fan and I am sorely disappointed that they've messed up so much.
    Another auto runner... and then they seriously put Internet requirement on it?!
    I will not buy this thing. :mad:

All of this.
    If it's single player, it should work offline.

17. TrueBlou

TrueBlou Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Mar 20, 2014
    Software Developer - witenoiz.com
    Scotland
    Personally I can't wait for this game, it'll be an instant buy for me.

I grew up with Mario and still love the Mario games now. Even though it's yet another auto runner, I think it'll have enough of that Nintendo magic to make it an enjoyable and unique experience.

18. LordShad0wz

Nov 19, 2014
    Why does it need to be revolutionary for you to buy it? Also you consider $10 to be the price of a triple A game lol???? You must consider McDonalds fine dining.

All it needs to be is fun! That's what gaming is all about. That is what Mario and Nintendo has always been about. Doing things differently. Trying different ways. But always having fun doing it. $10 for a brand new Mario experience on a non Nintendo platform seems like a very small price to pay compared to a 3DS game which costs $30 to $40. Now that's Triple A pricing. We aren't being charged that.

Also Apple adding the notify button is them courting Nintendo. To show them they are important and valued and are wanted on the IOS platform. How many millions have hit that button already?? There's nothing wrong with it.

Bring on Super Mario Run! Let's do this! I can't wait for the full TA review so I can disagree with it as usual!! Hehe

Billy

19. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    Another side to that: The difference with iOS and devices causing apps to stop working is that it is our choice to update iOS versions or get a new device. As long as we're still rocking iOS 8.0 on a iPhone 5S or 6, we could still be enjoying Bioshock even though it's dead. I've gone back and played some of my old flip phone games from a device 10+ years old because I missed them! I'd love to know I could do the same with the games I invest in now. Then again, I'm a nostalgic person. I'd still love an official way to play the original SMB on my iPhone instead of emulating it.

20. Dankrio

Patreon Silver

Jun 3, 2014
    The problem is that devices break and stop working some time on the future.