Universal Super Mario Run

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by TouchArcade Bot, Sep 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. retr0spective

retr0spective Well-Known Member

May 24, 2011
    Riverside, CA
    I am really pleased to see Nintendo developing a Mario game for mobile and offering it on the iPhone. The graphics look to be along the lines of the latest designs from the New Super Mario Brothers game while the auto-running gameplay harks back to the intuitive practice of speed running levels after memorizing the stages of the original Super Mario Brothers. This seems like a perfect fit for Mario on mobile. After seeing the winning application of this genre to Rayman, I expect great things from Nintendo.

2. Robot:String

Robot:String Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2013
    Game & Web Designer
    Madrid, Spain
    "Nintendo says the game will support three discrete game modes, the first straightforward courses where you’re maneuvering over obstacles and collecting coins. The second, dubbed “Toad Rally,” amounts to a challenge mode in which you compete against other players’ best times and “styles.” And the third lets you “create your own Mushroom Kingdom” using the coins you’ve snatched in the prior two modes."

Sounds nice! I'm really excited by this game.

Also: it will be a HUGE success, no matter what anybody thinks.

3. Rawk GWJ

Rawk GWJ Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2014
    #63 Rawk GWJ, Sep 8, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
    I just saw this. I'm really tired. I can barely keep my eyes open. Is this a dream? I'm dreaming, right?

Edit: I just tried to download this. Not compatible with iPad 4. Welcome to reality. Haha

4. iSupah

iSupah Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2012
    I haven't logged on in so long but your stubbornness permitted me to do so. It has been said and even showed by Nintendo that this game will be more like a demo with a one time iAP full game purchase. It IS not freemium. Please take the few minutes to read that Nintendo announced this will have a full game unlock and not be freemium. Jeez.

5. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    I don't care about blind fanboyism. But to me, this is game is an insult. To Mario, to gamers. Nintendo is just showing that they are not taking mobile gaming seriously... a Mario auto runner is as crappy and forgettable as - for example - the Sonic auto runner... a cheap freemium cash-in. They absolutely know that players want a full Mario experience, for years now, and all they give is this... and because of the brand it will be a huuuuuge success... I'm deeply annoyed.

6. zen_mode

zen_mode Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2015
    Sydney
    Because a "full Mario experience" wouldn't play very well on a touch screen without a controller. Install an emulator and try playing a Mario platformer with virtual controls. It sucks. It's clunky and I didn't get anywhere near the same feeling as playing it on a SNES as a kid.

What they've likely done here instead is put together something actually suited to the platform, playable in portrait mode and without tedious controls. And in honour to a legendary name, It looks like there will be no fremium BS here, just one of iAP(s) for content.

7. antony.thai

antony.thai Well-Known Member

It's Mario! OMG! It's MARIO!!!

8. italodance

italodance Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2009
    electrical
    Tehran-Iran
    Totally agree with you. man we missed 2009. I remember my iPhone 3GS was so powerful than my iPhone 6S Plus cause could handle big games now what? A crappy Freemium 2 MB game which requires iPhone 6 and up? What happened?

9. EZ Ice

EZ Ice Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2011
    Apps
    Tropical Island Pirate Hangout
    another endless coin collector. Think I'll pass and play Super Mario Brothers instead... :p

10. italodance

italodance Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2009
    electrical
    Tehran-Iran
    Yeah another ....Freemium = Slot Machine

[​IMG]

11. your personal robot

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    Weird, I've played countless fantastic platformers on my iPhone, with great controls... right from the early days of the device's life. That must be your personal general dislike for touch controls speaking. Auto runners are nice, for a certain amount of time. But I prefer a full, feature-rich game like (I know, not a platformer - but a recent masterpiece) Leap of Fate (with fantastic controls) any second.

12. kythg

kythg Active Member

Sep 8, 2016
    Game Designer
    London
    Not convinced based on footage. I hope Nintendo get their normal level of polish across but this just looks a bit.. off brand to me for some reason, not exactly sure why.

13. zen_mode

zen_mode Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2015
    Sydney
    #73 zen_mode, Sep 8, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
    Remember that a platformer with virtual controls like Goblin Sword has a way smaller audience than a cultural landmark such as this. This thing will have a similar audience to PoGo when it's released, 5 year olds right through to 90 year olds. 100's of millions of downloads. Mario has always been about mainstream appeal. Think outside the perspective of the enthusiasts here who a generally only a small niche of people with smartphones. Am I personally interested in this game despite playing a lot of Mario as a kid? No not really, but I can see why they did what they did. People like us that follow the mobile gaming market closely are a different demographic and this has to be remembered.

Edit: I don't play runner games but maybe it will be more indepth than other runner games? Maybe they did something clever here, who knows.

14. your personal robot

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    The current gameplay video doesn't look too promising. A charming but average auto runner with a famous brand slapped on. But I'd love to be surprised, yes.

15. Wizard_Mike

Wizard_Mike Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2011
    Texas
    I got a different impression from the trailer. It looks like a side scrolling Super Mario game, which have historically always been good. It's not just another an endless runner, since you can see the ends of a couple of levels (flags, bowser) in the trailer.

I wouldn't call it an average auto runner with a famous brand slapped on, but a standard Mario game that has been designed for one-handed play. Having the running be automatic seems like a given if you are trying to design a platformer to be played with just your thumb.

I'm sure there will be plenty of variety in level designs, themes, and gimmicks, just like all Mario games have.

16. ShelvsHotPencil

ShelvsHotPencil Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2016
    That notify button is enjoying, i will try this game but i know for sure I will get sick of it ( the first 2 weeks).
    I always do for automatic runner, they are so stressful, and unforgiving.
    Nintendo can do better.
    Just port metroid fusion, and metroid zero - and here is my money.

17. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

The amount of rampant pessimism in this thread is truly incredible. Back when we started on TouchArcade the idea of Nintendo releasing an iPhone game felt as likely as getting struck by lightning. Miyamoto takes the stage at a major keynote and announces a real deal Mario game and you guys have already decided you hate it based on ~45-90 seconds of total gameplay video that has been released so far.

I'm not sure where this "everything is horrible" attitude came from around here, but, man, it'd be rad to put that genie back in the bottle.

18. ROGER-NL

ROGER-NL Well-Known Member

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    I think I am one of the few people here that is positive about new games in general, if you got bored with videogames you should go do someting else not ruining the fun for everybody, I think the New Mario game looks great and if it is by Nintendo's quality I was used to in the past it will be one of the best auto runners to hit the IOS scene.

19. Jamesrooney27

Jamesrooney27 Well-Known Member

May 13, 2014
    Male
    Uk
    It really did surprise me when Nintendo doing this, from 90 seconds made me want to play it now and Mario gameplay has always been fun so, look at Rayman games they are amazing and they basically auto runners so the hate is completely stupid

20. Tanshui

Tanshui Well-Known Member

May 8, 2015
    I'm part of the camp that think it's great they adapted Mario to the mobile platform. I don't even know if they will make a good Mario out of it - I hope? But I will wait and judge after it's out.

I'm more excited by the implications of Nintendo willing to do so - recognizing Mobile as a very legitimate platform that is worthy of its own specific design consideration instead of just trying to re-create the console/PC experience on Mobile. Succeed or fail, I think this is a great step in the right direction.