Universal Super Mario Run

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by TouchArcade Bot, Sep 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    No, seriously...Eli's right. This thread is just ####ing incredible. Here's everyone incessantly complaining about the game while I've been almost to the point of devastation that this may not even make it to the Lebanese App Store.

2. Robot:String

Robot:String Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2013
    Game & Web Designer
    Madrid, Spain
    This game is the best thing to happen to iPhones since the App Store and GPS.
    And I also think this game has softened the no-audio-jack iPhone 7 hit a LOT!
    I bet you that when this game comes out, you'd see Mario red on iPhone screens all around you...

Jee! I can hardly wait!

The only bad thing about this game is that I'll have to wait a bit more for Animal Crossing on iOS. But the wait with Mario will be a sweet one. :)

Nintendo has the best IPs for games. They and Disney are the biggest family-friendly IP companies. Even your grandma knows who Mario or Micky Mouse are.

3. sinagog

sinagog Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2014
    Don't really like this nu-Rayman style of game to be hon- I was always more of an off-piste than on-rails kinda guy- but this seems like a bit of a feather in the cap of premium gaming, no? It just seemed...so unlikely that they'd make a game entirely free of in-apps. Can't particularly see a billion people wanting to play what is effectively a demo (before the unlock), but glad to see Nintendo's dreams of gaming hegemony are still intact. :D

4. sinagog

sinagog Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2014
    #84 sinagog, Sep 9, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2016
    So I just caught up with the thread from where I left off and, italo disco aside (who is much less fun than the genre of music from which his name hails), I'm not seeing it. The majority of responses were quite excited. You admin guys just seem much more susceptible to dissent if anything. On the podcasts you come across quite sweet and gentle, but here it's all BURN THE FORUMERS! Mayhaps playing every new release has thrown you a bit out of balance? Go for a swim in the sea or a walk through the countryside and I'm sure you'll be right back to normal. Vive le difference, esè.

5. djstout

djstout Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2011
    Sportscaster & football (soccer) coach
    Taiwan & Japan
    I totally agree with you!!!! It's a miracle that Nintendo started making games for iOS, it's such a huge step forward and it means that we'll get more and more games! For those like me who live in Japan and know what Japanese companies are like, you must understand that for them to change something it takes like 100 years! Because for them what worked in the past is everything they know. My friend worked many years for a Japanese big game company, he was going crazy there, they never wanted to try something new. Nintendo is one of those run by dinosaurs companies where they rarely inovatated. I can't wait to see F-Zero, Captain Tsubasa and Donkey Kong on iOS!

6. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    This is probably the best possible outcome of Nintendo coming to ios. Essentially, PREMIUM NINTENDO GAMES! Pinch me now because I might still be dreaming.

7. Jayg2015

Jayg2015 Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Male
    Player 1
    Liberty city
    Can't wait for this game.

It's basically super Mario Bros that's forces you to walk.

Instead of free roam back and forth u must walk.

I love it

8. Bi88les

Bi88les Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2012
    #88 Bi88les, Sep 9, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2016
    Hey! I hit NOTIFY and am told my iPhone5 is not compatible?! Must have some serious graphics!
    Still have hope though, it'll be out for X-mas - so there's plenty of time to tweak the game so I can play too!

9. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
  10. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Well, if nothing else, today I learned there's a new theoretical maximum for how hard I can physically cringe when reading something on the internet.

11. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
  12. Wizard_Mike

Wizard_Mike Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2011
    Texas
    Oh man... this is too good. Such irony! That article does not vindicate your ranting about this game. It's a joke post, making fun of people exactly like you who are hating the game for ridiculous reasons and before actually knowing anything about it.

You basically just directly made yourself the butt of that guy's joke. Good job, man. /golfclap

13. ROGER-NL

ROGER-NL Well-Known Member

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    Apple has died a bit with getting rid of Gamecenter and Nintendo comes to save the day hooray ha ha, it's like 1983 all over again with the big gaming crash.

14. Nekko

Nekko Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Tokyo-3
  15. Jamesrooney27

Jamesrooney27 Well-Known Member

May 13, 2014
    Male
    Uk
    This forum get worse and worse since I last check, it's Mario he's an legend

16. LordShad0wz

LordShad0wz Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2014
    I personally can't wait for this game. I wish it was December already!!!

I think it's going to be a fun game and since I grew up with the original Nintendo NES the Nostalgia factor is going to be on overdrive.

I don't even care how much it costs. I'm old school and used to paying for games. Bring this game on!!!!

Billy

17. I'm really excited for this, been a fan of level based auto-runners on the app store. I just don't think Mario would feel right with touch buttons and a d-pad, traditional Mario play requires you being able to hold down a button to sprite while hitting another button at the same time to jump. So I am glad they are doing a runner, will be a new fun thing for Mario too. Should be really cool, hope we can get some friendly competition going on the forums. Will buy it both for myself and my son.

18. tahzblade

tahzblade Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2012
    This was obviously a joke article you idiot.

Also many members have already clarified that it's NOT a freemium game. The game will release free as a demo, but an IAP will allow you to unlock the full version.

19. Shaun Musgrave

Shaun Musgrave Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2013
    Freelance writer, teacher, business owner
    Ibaraki, Japan
    Your first giveaway should have been when the article leads off by complaining about micro transactions with a picture of NSMB2 sitting above. That game is loaded with micro transactions, just as many other Nintendo games have been for the last four years or so. The author is pretty plainly taking the piss out of reactions like yours. Even if you couldn't catch the sarcasm dripping from the text, the pictures alone should have tipped you off.

Maybe trust Nintendo? They know how to make good games, from the very simple (Aura Aura Climber, Rhythm Tengoku) to the very complex (Xenoblade, Fire Emblem). This isn't going to be a full-featured standard Mario game, but only a fool would expect that while Nintendo is still in the hardware business. But that doesn't stop it from being pure, simple fun, which in case people are forgetting, is exactly what Nintendo and Mario were built on.

I suspect we will see IAPs beyond the full game unlock, likely for new skins (would definitely pay for a SMB3/World skin) and probably coins for the Mushroom Kingdom mode. But Nintendo is far from new to the world of micro transactions and outside perhaps Fire Emblem Awakening, they've been very fair about it. So again, maybe see how this goes before getting upset?