Universal Super Mario Run

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by TouchArcade Bot, Sep 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sieghart

Sieghart Active Member

Dec 6, 2013
    Wouldn't it be more conscious to wait for the game to launch, try it and then judge? I'm still more baffled about the 'Notify' option being the first time I see it in like forever I've had iPhone. Really shows how high Nintendo is regarded to make those things possible.

2. italodance

italodance Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2009
    electrical
    Tehran-Iran
    Hey Language, :mad:

3. tahzblade

tahzblade Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2012
    Sorry bout that lol

4. Finandir

Finandir Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 7, 2010
    While hearing auto-runner didn't immediately excite me, if you think about it, this is just a variation on how early Mario games worked. In the early side-scrollers, while you didn't auto-run, the screen auto-scrolled and kept pushing you to the right. This isn't really that different in some ways. Though at least with the side-scrolling Mario games you could double-back on the current screen.

I might be mis-remembering, but I don't think you could go back to previous screens in the earliest Mario games. Some side-scrollers allow that, some don't. I've certainly played some really fun forced scrolling games, such as shooters over the years. Forced running/scrolling can be good if handled correctly. Given Nintendo's track record with Mario, I suspect it is more likely to be successful than handled poorly.

Also, there was at least one game mode in the demo that didn't force moving right continually. I noticed some wall-jumping to the left, for example.

5. UnhingedToker

UnhingedToker New Member

Sep 11, 2016
    Cant wait for this!

6. 7lilwhitewolf7

7lilwhitewolf7 Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2012
    Male
    Not hear on earth
    Georgia,Cleveland Ohio,Texas,New York
    The Princess
    You must be tired, huh?

Mario
    Huh? Whut?

The Princess
    Bcuz you been runnin thru my mind all day baby

7. CygnetSeven

CygnetSeven Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
  8. bossjaja

bossjaja Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2015
    United States
    #108 bossjaja, Nov 15, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2016
    It's kinda funny, I feel like this game is being sold at a fair price, and but also might be overpriced at the same time.

On one hand, a Nintendo-quality Mario game with 3 modes and their usual level of polish being sold for $10 is an absolute steal, and I'm happy to pay it.

But on the other hand, it's still just an auto runner. Been done a million times before, and no matter if it's Mario, $10 for a simple auto runner seems very steep.

IMO, here are a few things that Nintendo would have to do so that I can justify the $10 price

A good long "story mode"
    I'm sure they'll have endless randomly generated levels to keep replayability high, but I would like to see at least 20-40 Nintendo-built stages.

No other IAP
    If I'm going to put down $10, that needs to cover the whole game. I don't want any coin doublers for $5, "Treasure chests of coins!" for $50, or any of that.

Reasons to keep coming back
    Daily challenges, integration with MyNintendo and Miitomo, anything like that would definitely give it long lasting appeal. Also, the kingdom builder feature seems kinda interesting, but I hope you can actually do something with it, not just place objects and just stare at them.

9. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    This is the sentiment I'm trying to understand in the front page comments about this story, but what exactly do you mean by this? What is "just an auto runner"? How do you know it's "simple"?

10. bossjaja

bossjaja Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2015
    United States
    #110 bossjaja, Nov 15, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2016
    I've played a lot of auto running games, and a lot of them rely on simple gameplay combined with tons of IAP and timers. I'm hoping this one doesn't use the genre as an excuse to keep the gameplay simple. Who knows, maybe I've just had bad experiences with runners and missed the good ones? :p

All I'm saying is that if they're going to charge $10 for the premium unlock, I hope the gameplay is deep enough that it feels more like a Mario platformer-style game with auto running elements, VS just a generic auto runner with a Mario skin. I don't mean to imply that it looks bad from the trailers at all. In fact, I'm happy to pay $10 to show my support for quality premium games if it turns out to be good.

11. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    I'm curious about that too. Will this "feel" like a Mario game or like something different with Mario slapped on. I'm confident in Nintendo and Miyamoto though, and from what they've show so far this looks very Mario-like.

As for auto runners in general, I think what you say is true for the majority of them, but that's just because the market is flooded with so many crappy ones. Lost Socks, the Wind Up Knight Games, the first two Rayman Run games, Kid Tripp and I'm sure a handful of others that I'm not remembering right now all show that auto runners can be as challenging, entertaining, and as complex as a traditional platformer. Honestly they're totally different beasts, and to be fair there's likely even more totally mundane traditional platformers on mobile than there are auto runners.

12. Wizard_Mike

Wizard_Mike Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2011
    Texas
    https://youtu.be/VTglyDBdp-A
    Looks pretty solid to me. It even has haunted house levels!

I'm not sure what the kingdom builder is all about, but hopefully it's something fun and not some stupid filler content to help justify the price tag.

Actually, I don't even care if that's all the kingdom builder is. Just gimme my Mario! lol

13. Montanx

Montanx Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2012
    San Diego
    InB4 worse Mikey shorts with flashy Mario skin and soundtrack with lame city builder tacked on. Oh and tons of iap on top of already laughable $10 price tag.

14. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    No other iap except the full unlock. This weird backlash against Nintendo releasing a premium game is baffling.

15. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    People are weird.

16. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    The builder bit and toad bit don't look very good but I'd like it if the builder bit turned out to be good.

Looking forward to the game itself though it looks like it'll be challenging to collect everything and the price won't bother me.

17. Wizard_Mike

Wizard_Mike Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2011
    Texas
    The only thing laughable here is the strong negative opinions based on complete misinformation.

18. sobriquet

sobriquet Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2015
    That's exactly what I've been thinking. It's as if none of the haters have done any research, not even as much as watching the game trailer. They just saw the words "run" and "free" then filled in the rest with which ever hate mantra popped into their head. I've seen everything from endless runner to endless IAP and it has been stated very clearly many times over what the game is and what the price will be. It makes me wish I could reach through my screen and smack someone.

19. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Exact reason im not lurking through this thread. I came here now to see if there was some good info on the game yet, instead, i found what i feared.

Popular IP+zero price tag entry (which turned out to be premium unlock) is a thread i shouldnt check nowadays. LOL

20. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Ah... Thanks for the video. Looks solid actually. Im glad it isnt a single-plane runner, and has multiple platforms and paths ala Rayman Run titles. Cant wait to play this. My 3-year-young son would be very happy!