Sword of Fargoal 2

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by fargoal, Aug 31, 2012.

1. bluewomble88

bluewomble88 Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2009
    Well I'm pretty sure if someone had the desire, time, and financial impetus to go down the legal route to make a point, they'd probably win.

Say what you like about Kickstarter but asking for money to make a game and then, 2 years later, have nothing to show for it and cutting off all communication amounts to good old fashioned fraud.

2. Amenbrother

Amenbrother Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    Thanks for the info I wasnt to sure how it worked.

3. slewis7

slewis7 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    Retired!
    Houston, TX
    Abandon all hope, ye who enter this thread. :-(

4. fargoal

fargoal Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2009
    Dear Tommet, et al,

This is one of the creators of Fargoal, Jeff McCord, and I wanted to assure you that Fargoal 2 is not dead. It has been extremely slow in the making, but we are getting closer to our next Beta update for backers, and we still have full intentions to release the game as soon as we are able to get done what needs to be accomplished to deliver what we promised in the Kickstarter campaign.

Our extremely long delays don't reflect well on our track-record, we know, but we are definitely still very actively coding and working on the game.

For what it's worth, we really appreciate that we still get support and encouragement about the game, and we are very sorry for the fact that the new version of the game is not out yet.

Sincerely,

Jeff McCord
    Fargoal, LLC

5. gemineye62

gemineye62 Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2010
    #206 gemineye62, Nov 5, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2014
    You see, all one had to do was go to the old kickstarter page,
    find the contact link and leave a message for the developer.

I just said that people from the Touch Arcade site were wondering
    about the status of the game.

I appreciate the fast response from the developer.

Thanks

6. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    Star Command all over again. Developers are getting harder and harder to trust.

7. bluewomble88

bluewomble88 Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2009
    Are you talking about the site where numerous people have left update requests since June and they've all been ignored? That one?

8. Tommet

Tommet Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2011
    I honestly don't know how to respond to this.

I'll start by saying thank you for creating the original fargoal. The one that I played back in the days of the Vic20/C64 created many fond memories. And also thank you for the iOS version. I played that endlessly - in fact it's still on my current iDevice and I'll fire it up on occasion. It's a wonderful roguelike, and well worth a purchase for anyone reading this thread who does not have it.

I've pinged this thread every few months for the last year or two - hoping for an update - and, honestly - it's not been encouraging at all. Taking your current statements at face value though, I'll keep pinging this thread until y'all tell me it's dead.

I probably don't need to state that this game is currently firmly in the vaporware category for many users (but I will anyway). Personally, I only hope that it does not rival "Duke Nukem Forever" either in length of time till release or quality.

It is frustrating to folks who have been eagerly awaiting a release (originally promised in may 2013) to see fargoal development members posting or being interviewed about other projects - kind of a "where the hell is Fargoal 2 - the one folks from kickstarter funded?" feeling. I realize that kickstarter is not guaranteed, and that life intervenes - but dude - it's been a long time... I'm certain you understand this does not only reflect negatively on you, but on kickstarter - rightly or wrongly, that how some feel.

You obviously care about how you are seen in the community - otherwise you wouldn't have popped up here with this comment. But on the flip side - there has been very little on the kickstarter page, here, or anywhere else in terms of updates on the project itself. And that does NOT reflect well. Bluntly, updates a few times a year do not make the project seem very active.

Please understand that in users minds, you're also fighting against releases like Starbase Orion and KSP - games release in far from final versions and added to greatly over their life span. The methodology of releasing a "finished" game may be dying off.

Please realize that we're only checking this thread (and posting) because we'd dearly love to see a release.

Take this for what you will. I wish you nothing but the best, thank you for years of enjoyment, and sincerely hope to play Fargoal 2 before I shuffle off this mortal coil. Get cracking, update your fans and please - turn the damn thing out sometime soon!

Thank you for the time you took to respond.

9. starcat

starcat Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2010
    2016 is looking more and more likely

10. Tommet

Tommet Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2011
    Hello? Anybody home?

Looks kinda vacant around here... :(

11. Artfoundry

Artfoundry Well-Known Member

May 11, 2009
    COO and Creative Director at LCD Dreams, Inc.
    Bay area, CA
    The dev's been posting about SoF2 to kickstarter supporters. It's coming along - should be out sometime in the next 2-4 mos I would guess.

12. Tommet

Tommet Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2011
    Was that 2 to 4 months or 24 months?

13. Artfoundry

Artfoundry Well-Known Member

May 11, 2009
    COO and Creative Director at LCD Dreams, Inc.
    Bay area, CA
    Heh, not a typo, 2 to 4 mos

14. Tommet

Tommet Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2011
    Well that'd be nice...

15. overzero3

overzero3 Well-Known Member

May 18, 2011
    2-4 months?
    Heard that two years ago. Maybe more two and it will be true!

16. starcat

Feb 7, 2010
    sigh

vaporware? fraud?

17. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Thats unfair

Granted its taken a long time but as many people have said they've been updating the kickstarter page with updates, i doubt they'll update every forum theyve ever posted on

Looking at the kickstarter they had an update on May 25 and in the comments section people seem okay and patient

18. Jorlen

Jorlen Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    IT
    Canada
    Do we have any sort of update on this game though?

While I didn't kickstart it, I'm certainly looking forward to it and it'll be an instant purchase.

I still play the heck out of the first Sword of Fargoal; still one of the better roguelikes on the platform IMO.

19. starcat

Feb 7, 2010
    #220 starcat, Jun 25, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2015

it's absolutely fair, people have gone after kickstarters that have taken much less time.

they update like once every month and its always the same run around... when you ask for a specific amount of money and you get exactly what you asked for, you should be able to release the game in a reasonable time period.

i dont call almost 3 years reasonable and its MORE than long enough to call this fraud or vapoware.

granted i am not in the beta but i see no evidence that this game exists except for screenshots. this guy is an experienced programmer and the art is minimal, i could have had this game done in 2 months with that budget and just 1 programmer. he actually hired a second one.

what makes it sketchy is the lack of updates, screenshots.

(deleted due to swearing)

because that would have at least pacified his backers instead of making it a "ill never back this guy again" scenario.

im not saying he IS scamming, but if i was going to scam someone i would try to pull sympathy "i lost my job", "my dog died" "my hands got cut off" that way no one is allowed to be mad at me while i spend the money.

then i just simply stall you for a few years until you forget about it and hope no one notices you paid 50k for a couple of screenshots.

what have you been doing for 3 and a half years??

October 13, 2012
    Successfully raised $50,162 USD with 1,163 backers

lets take a look at the twitter.

https://twitter.com/fargoal

Sword of Fargoal ‏@fargoal May 23
    "@madgarden: Binary tree mazes are neat. Just so cheap and dirty for a maze, but with a distinctive look." So true!

hard at work at not talking about fargoal 2 i see. i know that's what i'd be doing if i was 3 and a half years behind a project.

yes i like fargoal and i want to play it, but what does it take for people to get pissed off and demand accountability these days? so if 3 and a half years isn't long enough what is the line? 5 years? 10? 20? because as it stands someone can start a kickstarter, take your money, wait 3 years or more and apparently you are fine with it.

would you BACK a kickstarter in 2015 that says Ipad game, estimated time of delivery 2019?