Sword of Fargoal 2

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by fargoal, Aug 31, 2012.

1. Tommet

Tommet Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2011
    Anybody notice that all the content from http://www.fargoal.com/ seems to be gone?

Is this the final nail in the coffin for Sword of Fargoal 2?

Was there an announcement somewhere?

:( I was really hoping this one would eventually materialize out of the vapor...

2. Artfoundry

Artfoundry Well-Known Member

May 11, 2009
    COO and Creative Director at LCD Dreams, Inc.
    Bay area, CA
    I'm guessing they're in the middle of updating the site. When I go there on my phone, I initially get a choice between mobile and desktop. Mobile has nothing - not even a basic layout, whereas desktop just shows a missing page error within their site's frame. So it looks like someone's updating and messed up one or more of the pages/links.

3. Tommet

Tommet Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2011
    I almost shudder to think that. It gives me hope it might be out - and soon!

4. slewis7

slewis7 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    Retired!
    Houston, TX
    Jeff has failed to post KickStarter updates based on his own suggested schedule on numerous occasions. The last post there was in December. I have lost faith.

5. Artfoundry

May 11, 2009
    Bay area, CA
    I know Jeff - we've met in person multiple times. I don't think he's the type to just drop the project without letting people know. I'm sure he's very busy with it, family, and his other projects. Being an indie dev myself, I know what it's like to get in that situation where you haven't updated the community in a while but you want to wait just another couple days to try to finish the feature you're working on so you can show it off and/or not get distracted from it (and TA can be a bit of a distraction at times :)).

6. Madgarden

Madgarden Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2009
    Galactic Game Creation Overlord
    Kitchener, ON
    I'm not sure what is going on with the site, but I think it's a problem with the webhost (Lizard Hill), not any sort of omen, heh. I'm personally keen to get back into Fargoal work again after Death Road to Canada is wrapped up this spring.

7. Artfoundry

May 11, 2009
    Bay area, CA
    Jeff just posted an update to the Kickstarter page saying, among other things like working on a Steam version, that the next update will be March 2.

8. Tommet

Tommet Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2011
    Spring. Well that kills the "and soon". Guess I shouldn't be shocked.

Here's hoping it manages to make it out the door at some point.

9. anarchy in the app store

Jan 30, 2014
    Can't wait man, I've been anticipating this game for way to long

10. Madgarden

Mar 10, 2009
    Kitchener, ON
    They will... just instead of a team of dozens of developers, all we have is ME. So I have to bounce around a lot, and stuff gets shuffled and prioritized and re-prioritized and my roof breaks and I need money to fix that and the dog broke the front porch railing so that needs fixed and oh hey when did the kids grow up I guess I need to pay for college and hmm I'm getting a bit old I wonder if there's a good cheap nursing home around, guess I better work on something else a bit more profitable to make money right now.

Fargoal 2 is still there though.

sebgo likes this.
  11. pausiopao

pausiopao Member

Oct 27, 2010
    Shoulda put that into consideration before making a kicks tarter for fargoal 2

12. Madgarden

Mar 10, 2009
    Kitchener, ON
    #152 Madgarden, Feb 27, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2014
    I didn't make it. And the Kickstarter has nothing to do with any of it. It's all BIDNESS.

13. Artfoundry

May 11, 2009
    Bay area, CA
    Lol nice. Yeah unfortunately, many people just don't understand what's involved with indie development - they're so accustomed to the AAA development from consoles/PCs and weren't around 25-30 years ago for the last big indie movement.

What Fargoal earned from the KS was a decent chunk of money, but it's not nearly enough for what's needed for development, business costs, and marketing for a game of Fargoal's complexity. They JUST made their goal, which means it's enough to see them through IF there are no other extenuating circumstances (and maybe it will cover some of those). But stuff ALWAYS happens/gets in the way, as Madgarden so eloquently described. Heh.

14. slewis7

slewis7 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    Retired!
    Houston, TX
  15. Madgarden

Mar 10, 2009
    Kitchener, ON
    Yea, I am more out of pocket and in the hole on Fargoal than the full amount that the Kickstarter brought in. Also, we haven't spent any of the KS funds aside from outside contractors to do bits of things, some art, video etc. I haven't taken KS funds myself because I haven't been able to work on it. And if you noticed, the KS was all about MORE ART and MORE MUSIC etc. and not really development. Basically if anyone complains to me about the Fargoal 2 Kickstarter they can stuff it.

For the most part Kickstarter is more about publicity than it is funding, and if you're a big studio like Double Fine, well you usually get the best of both worlds.

16. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    I don't care what the issues involved are. Statements like that from a developer are NEVER good for "BIDNESS".

17. Madgarden

Mar 10, 2009
    Kitchener, ON
    #157 Madgarden, Feb 28, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2014
    Somebody's gotta play the bad cop. I really don't *have* to explain any of this BIDNESS, it goes way deeper than I can discuss here. But I'm glad you don't care though. Neither will I.

18. jsrco

jsrco Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Oct 15, 2009
    Coordinator
    Seattle
    So you are saying you don't care what has happened your gonna stand by your point? Isn't that the same philosophy a 5 year old uses when they throw a tantrum?

19. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    What? Unprofessional is uprofessional. That IS my only point.

20. Madgarden

Mar 10, 2009
    Kitchener, ON
    Do I look like a Wall Street banker hanging out in Touch Arcade forums talking to gamers to you? No suit and tie up in this shizzle. If that's your only point then you can move along now, nothing to see here. I stand by my words.

Entitled complainants can continue to stuff it until they are quite bloated and irritable from said constant stuffings. Friends welcome.

sebgo likes this.