Universal The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth (by Nicalis, Inc.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ojtitus, Jan 11, 2017.

1. walmartpolice

walmartpolice Well-Known Member

May 12, 2012
    And to anyone hesitant on picking this up because there's plenty of other games that do this for $1:

What you're leaving out is all those games give you about a dollars worth of entertainment (not counting the absolutely glorious titles by Butterscotch Shenanigans which are ALL very excellent iterations of the formula employed by BOI)
    Neon chrome is amazing, I've gotten to AI 9.0 on the Xbox One but it's an empty hollow experience when compared to the sheer replayability of Isaac. Feral fury almost goes the distance but falls short with how ridiculous some item synergies can become in this game while the upgrades are about as skin deep as those in neon chrome.

Trust me, there's a reason all those games crawl and stumble to become a faint shadow of BOI.

2. Killerluffy246

Killerluffy246 Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2014
    Asia
    Nah, it was pure luck, its a combination of nine lives and eternity lives. Btw I am using the virtual controls though, i dont own any real controllers for iphone.

3. Luciano1084

Luciano1084 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2014
    Haven't stopped playing this on PS4 the last week and find myself really wanting to drop 15 bucks and buy it again.. I could literally buy 5 other games on my wishlist but feel compelled to buy BOI again.. what would you guys do? Steamworld heist, banner saga 2 and another game or BOI which I already own, what to do?

4. raravan

raravan Well-Known Member

May 18, 2014
    thank you, Amenbrother!

i was going slow and it took me about 40 mins. and yeah, i was trying to enter and clear every single room, but i don't have enough keys! >_<

P.S. i'm not a pro by any means. just kidding.

5. Skylez

Skylez Active Member

May 15, 2015
    So this game can be played with ios9? Or only ios 10 is possible? :( thankss

6. Duke12

Duke12 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2013
    #466 Duke12, Jan 16, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2017
    Is the game supposed to just close when you complete a challenge? I did "computer savvy" and when I was done it just went back to desktop. It shows as done on the list but just felt weird.

Edit: apparently it is. Just finished "tank" and it happened again

7. Doug84

Doug84 Active Member

Jun 9, 2014
    I cant imagine thats intentional, happened to me too though.

8. Price

Price Member

Jan 13, 2017
    After completing a certain challenge for the first time, it should say that you've unlocked something (in this case, a type of consummable rune)

9. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2009
    Montreal
    You'll need purchase it from an iOS10 device or on your computer via iTunes, then you'll be able to download it onto your iOS9 device (though it'll be an older version of the game).

10. Milotorou

Milotorou Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2015
    Or if you are jailbroken, you can purchase from your computer, download the file (IPA) and force install it using the IPA Installer tweak (by checking the "force install without verifying os version" checkbox.

I did it myself I can confirm it works.

Edit : That is to get the latest version, else you can use an older version using trick mentionned above.

11. meder87

meder87 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2009
    Product Development Manager
    In the world of iOS
    I haven't been a huge fan of the touch controls so far. I only started playing it last night. I have a controller so i'll probably play with that more often. I die on the first level very easily which doesn't usually happen for me when I play on PC. I assume i'll get accustomed to the controls. If i'm out and about i'll just use touch controls. I definitely really like that I can pick it up and a play around in 5 or 10 minutes and then come back to it later.

12. ItouchBrett

ItouchBrett Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    Already beat "it lives" 10 times. Time for Sheol play through. The touch controls are growing on me.

13. Skylez

Skylez Active Member

May 15, 2015
    Thanks for the answer dudes! :p

14. pisiform

pisiform Active Member

Aug 10, 2014
    I'm browsing this thread looking to find reasons to pick this game up as I've never really gelled with dual stick shooters in the past.

All I can say is that Steamworld Heist is absolutely amazing - I've put 50 hours into it since it came out on iOS and I've never played a game as much as that. Definitely worth the money, time and experience.

So what would anyone say about BOI. I've looked at YouTube videos to get an idea of gameplay. I never really liked Wayward Souls that much and I've tried a couple of times to get into it. Does it compare?

15. Repulsa

Repulsa Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2015
    I never really got into wayward souls I remember thinking it was way too hard, Maybe now after playing BOI I could go back and replay WS. BOI is hard too but there are so many items/upgrades you can find during a run that give you an edge. There will be runs where you die on the first or second floor and runs where you find amazing stuff that gets you through to the final boss. The random you never know what you're going to get aspect keeps me coming back for more. I am a mobile gamer primarily I haven't held a controller in years so for me the touch controls are no issue I am used to it but I can see how ppl who are used to a controller or keyboard would not like the touch controls

16. michaelfields

michaelfields Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2010
    Has anyone had any luck getting a stratus to work with this? I just bought one and it disconnects immediately

17. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    I was a bit like you minus having any previous experience at all. I was dieing all the time on the first floor. Now I'm making it rather more consistently to the 4 and 5th floors though haven't been past there.

I've been finding that somehow the loot I've found is getting a little better over time. I don't know if there is anything in the coding that makes this so, or rather I'm just getting further which allows me to find more gear to equip and hence my chances get better from there. Which, actually sort of makes sense if you think about it; if you can get past the first 1 or two levels and hopefully grab some decent starting gear, your survivability will get better, albeit yeh each level gets a little harder with enemies. In time you will get used to the controls, survive longer as a result, find better gear, learn the patterns of the enemies (which you have a head start on), and that should overall translate to a longer run. We won't ever be totally free of the touch control vs PC/controller factor though, but there's been others that have said after a while the controls will come very close to equivalent.

So TLDR: hang in there, you'll go further, and the controls will feel better.

18. ashmike3

ashmike3 Well-Known Member

May 15, 2014
    Took the plunge and bought. All the great praise. Im not great at rouge-likes but love them. Cheers to death!

19. Bytebrain

Bytebrain Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    I finally beat Mom, the first ending!

When I picked this game up, I had no expectations, except for the hype on this site, and after a few stumbles where I couldn't understand the premise of the game, thanks to the helpful members of this forum, I got the hang of both the game and the philosophy behind it.

After countless runs where I couldn't make it past three levels, I'm now hitting level four most runs, and I've got Mother's Womb squarely in my sight.

What a fantastic game!

Btw, I play with touch controls.
    I've got a Stratus XL, but I can't get it to download the firmware, so it only works for five minutes at a time, but I can certainly see that the game is easier to control with a physical controller.

That being said, touch controls is close to perfect, just a bit of tightening so it wouldn't be quite so floaty would be great.

20. Lickzy

Lickzy Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Oct 28, 2013
    Director of Sales
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    Wasn't going to get this because :

A) dislike rogue likes
    B) hate dual stick shooters
    C) gameplay videos look weak and unimpressive
    D) A-C

Bought it anyway and ZERO complaints. All I have to say is that there is something very special about this game, whether it's the "one more run" urge or the "hey, WTF does this thing do?".

Was at the hospital today and played this 5 hours straight, no breaks.

For everyone on the fence (except cheapos, go play F2P ####), take the plunge, it is totally worth the price of admission and you will not be disappointed. All this talk about MFi and controllers blah blah blah, disregard. This game feels right on a touch screen